Author Topic: D. Buie For P. Quin rifle  (Read 2364 times)

Offline cshirsch

D. Buie For P. Quin rifle
« on: November 17, 2019, 08:06:35 PM »
This is a nice rifle but a bit of a mystery.  Has some southern attributes with a Slocum, Baldwin & Co., New Orleans lock.  The inscription on the barrel seems to be 'D. Buie For P. Quin'.  I am trying to link it to New Orleans but the only D. Buie gunsmith I find is Daniel Buie in Tennessee and later in Texas.   .49 caliber rifled.

Offline rsells

Re: D. Buie For P. Quin rifle
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 10:11:06 PM »
I do not have any info on the maker, but I had the opportunity to purchase a group of parts from a family who had a member of their family pass.  The fellow lived in Celina, Tn.  In the parts I purchased was a set of triggers that look exactly like the ones on the rifle in your photo's.  The triggers are unique, and I have kept them for many years.
                                                                           Roger Sells

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 10:27:56 PM »
I do not have any info on the maker, but I had the opportunity to purchase a group of parts from a family who had a member of their family pass.  The fellow lived in Celina, Tn.  In the parts I purchased was a set of triggers that look exactly like the ones on the rifle in your photo's.  The triggers are unique, and I have kept them for many years.
                                                                           Roger Sells

Please post a good photo of the triggers.  Thanks

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 01:23:46 AM »
I suspect the New Orleans lock was a store brand, stamped that way by request of that hardware. Lots of import locks, and I am sure domestic as well, were sold with whatever business bought enough to warrant the manufactor putting their names on the locks.
Dennus
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline OLUT

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 10:29:15 PM »

This is a nice rifle but a bit of a mystery.  Has some southern attributes with a Slocum, Baldwin & Co., New Orleans lock.  The inscription on the barrel seems to be 'D. Buie For P. Quin'.  I am trying to link it to New Orleans but the only D. Buie gunsmith I find is Daniel Buie in Tennessee and later in Texas.   .49 caliber rifled.

I can't comment on the gun, but , for what it is worth, there was a " P. Quin" living in St Helena Parish, Louisiana in the 1850 and 1860 census ..... could he have been the owner???

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 01:22:27 AM »

I can't comment on the gun, but , for what it is worth, there was a " P. Quin" living in St Helena Parish, Louisiana in the 1850 and 1860 census ..... could he have been the owner???

Excellent!  Thanks for your research.

Offline wildcatter

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2019, 04:48:23 AM »
Awesome rifle, thanks for sharing. Haven't seen a beaver tail cheek rest with the inlay in it like that.

Matt
You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

Offline Cajun72

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2019, 12:14:17 PM »
Nice rifle