Author Topic: Whispering and scraping a stock  (Read 1278 times)

Offline scottmc

Whispering and scraping a stock
« on: November 18, 2019, 01:13:18 AM »
Hi gents.  For those of you who scrape your stocks, I'd like to know if you scrape, whisker then scrape again or do you sand, whisker and then scrape last.  I am going to scrape the one I'm building now and never did it before so figured I'd ask.  I've been scraping the file Mark's out so far.
Remember Paoli!

Offline Marcruger

Re: Whispering and scraping a stock
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 01:24:28 AM »
I like Dave Rase's gun where he rough scraped it and left it.  :-)   Love the character on that one. 

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 01:35:29 AM »
Hi Scott,
Some may have a routine method they always use.  In my case, much depends on my objectives for the final look of the gun.  I often attempt to make guns that look historically correct particularly when building for re-enactors, museums, and collectors.  However, that does not mean I have to relive the 17th-18th centuries.  In most cases, I scrape off tool marks, then sand to smooth and even out the wood surface.  Then I whisker and scrape. That does the best and most thorough job for the first round.  Then I whisker again and sand to again smooth the wood surface and reduce the wash boarding caused by scraping that is particularly noticeable on figured wood.  On some guns I get rid of all rippling on others I leave some to give texture to the finish (again my objectives rule).  Finally, I usually do a light final scraping before stain and finish.  That helps clean out saw dust from sanding and shear off wood fibers mashed down by sanding.  I have built guns without using any sand paper at all and enjoyed the process but I don't find that necessary for correct looking guns and sanding with clean, sharp paper is very quick and efficient.  Some folks like a heavy coarse scraped look but I am not one of those and have not seen many originals finished like that although I am sure there are some out there.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 01:46:11 AM »
We have to scwape it vewwy qwietly.
A lot depends on the wood and the way the grain is running.
Andover, Vermont

Offline scottmc

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 02:55:04 PM »
Thanks for the comments.  I'll use a little of both.
Remember Paoli!

Willbarq

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 08:35:29 AM »
We have to scwape it vewwy qwietly.
A lot depends on the wood and the way the grain is running.

Sqwape and give it a pat on the butt. Whisper sweet nothings.