Author Topic: Percussion lock repair needed  (Read 1096 times)

Offline bptactical

Percussion lock repair needed
« on: November 17, 2019, 11:52:00 PM »
G'afternoon all,
I am in need of some repair work on a percussion lock. I picked up a matched pair of Sharon barreled rifles here a while back, a flint and a percussion, likely original Sharon kit builds.
The flinter is perfect but the percussion rifle has issues in the lock.
I am pretty sure the lock is a L&R but it is unmarked. My thought is it was a kit lock.
The hammer has never held at full cock, initially I thought the trigger blades were too high not allowing the sear to seat.
Not the case though, the full cock sear notch is incorrect, the sear has been altered at some time as well.
The hammer was loose on the tumbler and when I removed it the hole for the tumbler was clearly oversized, it had been brazed at some point in the past and half of the brass had fallen out. I cleaned out the brass and TIG'd up the old hole so at least it is solid steel now.

Where I need help is this- I dont have the expertise to know exactly what make of lock this is and i dont have the expertise to correctly locate the new hole for the tumbler. I would also like the tumbler and seat checked and if need be replaced or repaired for correct configuration and angles.

Any suggestions? I would prefer to have this lock repaired as it is original to the rifle.
Thank you
The most important thing to be learned from those who demand “Equality For All” is that all are not equal

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Percussion lock repair needed
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 12:22:43 AM »
Cant be sure what you have but if this gun was a Sharon Trade Rifle it is an L&R lock.

For a fix of the plate and tumbler replacement or repair you’d be spending as much to fix all this as if you replaced the lock as to fix it but it seems you know that.  I guess some guys would find it easy enough to put in a bronze bushing in the plate. A tumbler replacement is easier than a fix.  A sear is easy enough to replace. Plus you may need a new hammer or the square tumbler hole welded up on the current hammer then re-fit.  With all that and making it all work smoothly I’d guess $150 or more. I’d understand that kind of investment on an original but not sure I would on a contemporary gun.
Andover, Vermont

Offline bptactical

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 08:25:22 PM »
Just got off of the phone with Bill @ L&R, he assured me that this was likely a "kit" lock and many of the ones supplied with Sharon kits were just that.
He also assured me that they can get this one updated and running at a nominal cost.

Thank you.

Oh Rich- meant to add that the rifles are not Trade Rifles, but rather fullstock "Hawken" style rifles. Really a neat pair of '70s era builds.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 08:29:01 PM by bptactical »
The most important thing to be learned from those who demand “Equality For All” is that all are not equal

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 10:51:50 PM »
Best possible scenario!
Andover, Vermont