Author Topic: Angstadt rifle on Gun Broker  (Read 2841 times)

Offline cshirsch

Angstadt rifle on Gun Broker
« on: November 18, 2019, 08:11:56 PM »
Who saw the Angstadt rifle on Gun Broker?  It sold this morning.  It went for a lot more than I was willing to pay.

Offline fundukj

Re: Angstadt rifle on Gun Broker
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 08:58:14 PM »
That's one helluva gun!  Probably cheap or at least fair for those who love folk art.  My vote is Joseph Angstadt.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 09:06:09 PM »
How much did it sell for!
Any better pics available?
John Robbins

Offline fundukj

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 09:21:51 PM »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 09:27:49 PM »
Cool old gun with really nice carving.
Andover, Vermont

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2019, 09:30:22 PM »
Thanks for the listing.
That was a humdinger of a deal!
John Robbins

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 10:02:14 PM »
Sold for $2425.00

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2019, 10:03:01 PM »
That's one helluva gun!  Probably cheap or at least fair for those who love folk art.  My vote is Joseph Angstadt.

I agree, Joseph Angstadt

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2019, 11:44:59 PM »
I agree carving is nicely done, well cut and deep. But when a rifle, regardless of quality, has been heavily modified...in this case by the barrel & forestock being excessively shortened and original nose cap and at least one original pipe gone, not to mention a couple of wood slivers, it becomes one of those questionable pieces. Do you leave it as is, or do you restore it? The more extensive the restoration, the more it impacts value. If left as is, it shows its original carving quality and box well, but is not an attractive rifle to many collectors. If restored, it's a major barrel job.

As I've gotten older, I have less interest in getting involved with heavily modified rifles...too much work to bring back to original appearance, and too much uncertainty on how it impacts value. We all have opinions, and they vary on this type "once great" rifle in this condition...and that range of opinions, or uncertainty, impacts value now...and perhaps even more in the future.  Shelby Gallien

Offline vanu

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2019, 12:08:25 AM »
Great gun!

I'm with Shelby, questionable as to what direction to go on restoration - Personally I'd leave it alone; it shares characteristics (notably the bolster/drum conversion to percussion) with Kentuckies I've seen and owned over the years that were shortened during the Civil War, mostly for Southern cavalry use. These are a rarity now as so many were restored in the 1940's-70's.

Even if not a CW era conversion, it is 100% honest with no modern monkeying around on it, including over polishing the brass!

Bruce

Offline Molly

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2019, 03:02:09 AM »
I'll pass as well. 

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2019, 05:09:34 AM »
I think it’s honest and wonderful. I passed on a fantastic Shenefelt years ago that Mike DAmbra had. It was shortened 8” at the muzzle and I’ve regretted it ever since. It had all the bells and whistles and the condition of what remained was outstanding. I think it was a fair buy
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Clint

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2019, 06:33:11 AM »
These old guns were built for definite reasons. The evolution of the alterations, barrel length lock modifications etc, are a testament to the usefulness of the rifle as a tool that worked well. In looking over the surface of the rifle, I can't help but wonder haw many rain storms were visited on it or how many times it was dropped or knocked over. The modifications made to the piece were made by presumably by competent men who had reasons for the work and the rifle went on, doing what it was originally made to do. Nicely preserved long rifles are always inspiring to behold but the near relic guns secret a hundred stories that we can only imagine.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2019, 10:19:10 AM »
A fair number of these guns were cut down to make it easier to carry them on the western trail. Made them a mite easier to handle and they still worked. Wish we knew where it was found prior to the sale. Might be a clue if we knew. Nice gun for sure.
Dick

WESTbury

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2019, 03:54:32 PM »
Not many years ago, many collectors would not have given this rifle a second look. Fortunately today, there is, at least in the long rifle collecting fraternity, an appreciation for the working life history of these old guns.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2019, 06:21:28 PM »
Not many years ago, the barrel would have been stretched and forelock replaced - not to mention a flint reconversion - before it ever saw the light of day!

I think it's cool as h-e-double hockysticks exactly as it is now.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2019, 08:59:37 PM »
Perhaps some rifles were cut down significantly for ease of carrying, etc., and continued a useful and interesting life. However, many had very little value late in the 19th century as cartridge guns proliferated, and were cut down and left in the barn for slaughtering livestock...part of the reason for the term "hog rifle." Not every rifle of merit had a happy ending. Shelby Gallien