Author Topic: Looking for gently swamped barrel profile  (Read 1195 times)

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
Looking for gently swamped barrel profile
« on: November 20, 2019, 01:48:41 AM »
Most of the swamped barrels I am seeing sold are about 0.200” to 0.240” smaller at the waist than at the breech. I’m seeing later originals more like .120” smaller at the waist. Guess I could lop some off a 46” barrel on both ends but the angles of the swamp would be the same. Or could file some off if I got ambitious. Anyone know a maker making runs of barrels gently swamped? I’d want a 1” breech more or less and .50-.54 caliber and at least 42” length.
Andover, Vermont

Offline flinchrocket

Re: Looking for gently swamped barrel profile
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 01:58:25 AM »
I think FCI Barrels will make any profile you want. Check his http://fcibarrels.tripod.com/rifle-barrels.html

Offline okawbow

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 03:05:06 AM »
Charlie Burton did a mild swamp barrel for me. Looks, shoots, and balances great.
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 05:06:16 AM »
Jason at Rice barrels will do a one off for you also. The last one he did for me was about a five month wait.

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 06:12:58 AM »
Ed Rayl can make one too, I'm sure. I have a barrel I picked up from him about a year and a half ago with a 1.03" breech, about 1/10" taper and only about 1/32" flare at the muzzle, 43 3/4" long. He said it was an exact copy of a WV rifle from around 1820 from his own collection. Mine is .45 caliber, but you could ask him about getting one in a larger caliber.

I'd suggest a GM barrel and a coarse file, but they only go up to 15/16 thick in .50 x 42, a little small for a later flint trade rifle (which is what I'm guessing you are looking at....)
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 07:06:09 AM »
Thx guys. I figured a 5-10 month wait on a custom profile. Might as well get the specs together and order one. Got plenty to keep me busy in the meantime.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2019, 06:22:33 PM »
Bob Hoyt of course
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Frank

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2019, 09:10:06 PM »
A Rice Culpepper Rifle barrel seems to be close to what you are looking for.