Author Topic: Cheek rest advice  (Read 1049 times)

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
Cheek rest advice
« on: November 20, 2019, 04:50:17 AM »
I’m going off a referenced rifle in the background with a pretty large cheek rest with three lines cut into it.  I know these pictures aren’t the greatest but can any of you see if it’s off?  My eye seemed to think it was right until I got to drawing on the lines.  It may be a bit big.  I can see from these pictures that it needs to taper in more from rear to front. 

« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 04:56:16 AM by Mike Lyons »

Offline B.Barker

Re: Cheek rest advice
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 05:03:31 AM »
Mike many off the old rifles had very large cheek rest. They also stick way out from the stock sometimes as well. I personally don't like the real big cheek rest and usually slim them down unless the customer is wanting a copy. Yours looks pretty much like the one in the book but if you want it a bit smaller then shave down some.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 08:34:42 AM »
If it were mine, I'd reduce the height off the stock at the wrist end to make it tapered like a buttstock should be.  the rectangular panel is a little on the large size too, but that is secondary.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 05:52:01 PM »
Exactly what Taylor said. Looking down on it...it should be narrower at front than back to give it a flare. From the side it looks just like the pics. Good job!
Tom C.

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 06:02:44 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  I’ll keep working on that area.  That’s a difficult area because of the over the top tang but I still have some room to work with. 

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 05:44:47 AM »
Round two.  It still needs work but it’s getting there.  Thanks again Taylor, Caster and Brian.