Author Topic: Flattening a horn  (Read 1993 times)

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
Flattening a horn
« on: November 20, 2019, 01:59:47 PM »
I know there are posts on this, but what is the simplest way to do it?
Also, are they around in the eighteenth century?

Thanks

Capgun

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
Re: Flattening a horn
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 04:49:24 PM »
As I understand it: boiling water or hot oil.  Oil gets hotter.  and press (in whatever contraptions you care to fashion-two flat smooth surfaces).  Goes back as far as fire and horn usage I'd say.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 02:50:59 AM »
I haven't tried flattening a horn, but my limited experience with rounding them indicates that you will be much happier with oil than with water - a water-formed horn doesn't tend to retain its shape unless there is a wooden plug to hold it, whereas an oil-formed horn will hold its shape unless heated again.

Get yourself a fry-daddy, enough lard to fill it, and a candy thermometer. Because the lard solidifies when cold, it is easy to move the pot around and store it when not in use.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline aaronc

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 05:30:08 AM »
I have flattened a wagon load with Bill Smith at his shop. He has used lard as previously stated,...the last 3 or 4 bunches we did I think he used peanut oil. Here is a pic of the vise set up. Like anything else this is just how he does it,..others may chime in. Only way I've seen it done.

- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 01:41:52 PM »
Thanks, guys.  Great pics and replies.   The make-or-buy issue has been settled.

Now then...where can I buy one at a reasonable price?

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 02:53:58 PM »
Thanks, guys.  Great pics and replies.   The make-or-buy issue has been settled.

Now then...where can I buy one at a reasonable price?

One source:

https://www.powderhornsandmore.com/product-category/polished-horns/flat-horn-blanks/

I don't know how good they may be, having never bought one.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Curtis Makamson

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 06:16:35 PM »
I use lard because once completely cool it congeals into a jello-like consistency that I am not so prone to slash out of the container when moving it.
Dubious artisan, semi-literate writer, pretend photographer, woeful speaker, impractical dreamer, hoarder of distractions, purveyor of irrelevance, connoisseur of whimsy, prolific starter, paltry finisher.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2019, 08:40:16 AM »
Thanks for the great pics of how you form them. Cool stuff. What temp to you run your lard up to before dipping the horn? Then how long do you keep them in the molten lard? Thanks again for sharing the wealth.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline aaronc

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2019, 12:45:22 AM »
Thanks for the great pics of how you form them. Cool stuff. What temp to you run your lard up to before dipping the horn? Then how long do you keep them in the molten lard? Thanks again for sharing the wealth.

Dave,....I'll double check with Bill but I want to say the temp is 360, if that's not correct I'll get back with you. We drop the horn in the basket of an electric fryer for 1 minute.  Both are important,...if the horn isn't hot enough it will crack,.....if it's too hot or in too long it will basically start to scald/burn and turn a yellow hue. Most of the time the "yellow" can be sanded out,..but it's easier just not to burn it. Once you do a few and get going you'll get the feel for it and be able to make your own adjustments. After the horn is set in the vice and all the wedges are in place, we let them cool for 10 minutes....then take them out and dip another horn. Afterward they all get a bath in some dish liquid for degreasing. Lets say we have a day dedicated to horn flattening and we have 25 horns set aside to flatten.....out of those 25 you can count on about 2 cracking at least a little. You can go ahead with the process and cut off behind the crack if it's not to lengthy. What once was intended to be a good size flat horn sometimes turns into a smaller flat horn or a primer, but she still holds powder  ;)           Hope this helps, - Aaron.

- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline aaronc

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2019, 04:42:56 AM »

Correction on Temp. Bill sets his at 350 degrees.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 04:55:05 PM by aaronc »
- Aaron C
At the work bench.