Author Topic: Cape gun on Gunsamerica  (Read 1501 times)

Offline msellers

Cape gun on Gunsamerica
« on: November 21, 2019, 02:39:28 AM »
This is an unusual one from what I have seen. Would make for a great squirrel, rabbit, and grouse gun. Can anyone enlighten me with some more info on this? Appears to be pretty well built, and definitely an interesting piece.
Mike
https://www.gunsamerica.com/997914530/Antique-Cape-Gun-Pontiac-Mich-G-W-Bowlby-41-ca.htm

Offline OLUT

Re: Cape gun on Gunsamerica
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 04:26:29 PM »
James Kelly has two of these guns pictured in "Michigan Gunsmiths". The dates in the write-up are incorrect, as he moved " to Pontiac in 1853 and soon opened a gun shop, in which business he remained for some fifteen years". These are interesting, but HEAVY combination guns; often around 12 pounds. It would be good for squirrels, but tough to hit a grouse.

Offline msellers

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 06:57:04 PM »
Thank you very much. I have learned that most information in the descriptions and write ups is inaccurate, and in some cases totally false. You supplied a great help. This is out of my budget, but definitely peeked my interest.
Mike

Offline Levy

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 10:56:38 PM »
I have 3 combination guns that I hunt squirrels with.  One is an N. Lewis .40 / 12 ga.  Another is a George B. Mather, Detroit .38 / 16 ga. and the third one is unmarked and is  a 24 ga. dbl that has had the left barrel sleeved with a .29 barrel.  I just got back from a weeks long camping trip to the Ochlocknee River bottom.  I managed to harvest 9 fat gray squirrels using both of the barrels (of the G. B. Mather).  It was a great deal of fun.  Two of them cost under $500 and the N. Lewis cost a bit more.  All were purchased off of Gunbroker.  The weight is an issue, but you get used to it.  Carrying fodder for both the rifle and the shotgun can weight you down.  I've thoroughly enjoyed mine and always liked the idea of combination guns.  James Levy
James Levy

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 05:16:23 AM »
Combination gun yes, of course & an interesting one indeed, with the holes so close in size.
Cape gun, however, not a chance.  Way too small in the bore(s).
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V