Author Topic: Early Anvil  (Read 2788 times)

Offline jcmcclure

Early Anvil
« on: November 22, 2019, 04:07:12 AM »
I've actually had this anvil for a little bit and just keep forgetting to share. This is a great example of an Early 5th footed anvil. It weighs 95 and unfortunately many many ears ago the 5th came off.... likely from a bad forge weld.

I had wanted an early anvil since I started doing period blade work. It still has some work life and at some point there was work done to face.

Offline Clint

Re: Early Anvil
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 03:47:49 AM »
That's a nice OLD anvil. My oldest anvil is a Sanderson Brothers (Sheffeild) from the 1840's. I always have an eye out for earlier anvils. Don't reface it or the value will go through the floor.Clint

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 05:32:25 AM »
What exactly is a 5th footed anvil. I'm anvil illiterate.
Psalms 144

Offline jcmcclure

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 06:13:47 AM »
That's a nice OLD anvil. My oldest anvil is a Sanderson Brothers (Sheffeild) from the 1840's. I always have an eye out for earlier anvils. Don't reface it or the value will go through the floor.Clint

I have no plans to do any work in it, but I'm not am anvil collector either. It's more about the history than the value personally.

Offline jcmcclure

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2019, 06:17:27 AM »

Some avils from 17th and 18th century had a 5th foot. It was basically a foot that was forge welded on. Mine came off a long time ago, likely from a bad forge weld. You can see where mine is missing and I included a pic of a 5th footed anvil with foot still there.

bbcode link image

Online wattlebuster

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2019, 03:59:29 PM »
I dont know squat about anvils but it sure looks cool. Makes me wonder what all was made on it.
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Chrisweiler

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2019, 04:41:15 PM »
I’ll try to post a pic of my anvil later today, had been in the family forever until I got interested in knife making and grandpa gifted it to me. Hershel House estimates it was from the late 1700’s but we never got the books out to check

Offline jcmcclure

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2019, 09:03:25 PM »
I’ll try to post a pic of my anvil later today, had been in the family forever until I got interested in knife making and grandpa gifted it to me. Hershel House estimates it was from the late 1700’s but we never got the books out to check
[/quot

Would like to see it!

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2019, 02:51:39 PM »

This is the oldest anvil I have. I guess it's a Mousehole but not sure. The top appears to be blister steel but I'm not sure about that either.
When I was looking for my first anvil, a friend told me knew where one was. He took me to a house where everything lining the driveway including stumps, rocks, tires, the birdbath, etc. was painted lime green. We asked about buying the anvil which was also lime green. The man seemed interested in selling it but his wife came outside yelling, "You ain't selling that! You sell everything!". He told her to "Git back in the house." He said, Gimme $35 and take it- Hurry! So I paid him and we took the anvil in a hurry.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 03:00:50 PM by Nordnecker »
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2019, 04:09:30 PM »
Looks just like mine which weighs about 175#.
Andover, Vermont

Offline jcmcclure

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2019, 10:36:06 PM »

That anvil had a Long work-life!

This is the oldest anvil I have. I guess it's a Mousehole but not sure. The top appears to be blister steel but I'm not sure about that either.
When I was looking for my first anvil, a friend told me knew where one was. He took me to a house where everything lining the driveway including stumps, rocks, tires, the birdbath, etc. was painted lime green. We asked about buying the anvil which was also lime green. The man seemed interested in selling it but his wife came outside yelling, "You ain't selling that! You sell everything!". He told her to "Git back in the house." He said, Gimme $35 and take it- Hurry! So I paid him and we took the anvil in a hurry.

Offline Clint

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2019, 01:29:08 AM »
I bought my first anvil from a picker in Voluntown Ct. The guy asked me how old I was and I said 15. He then said "if you can lift that anvil into the car, yourself, you can have it for $15 so I picked it up and put it onto the floor of my grandfather's car. Good deal.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2019, 01:54:34 AM »

Some avils from 17th and 18th century had a 5th foot. It was basically a foot that was forge welded on. Mine came off a long time ago, likely from a bad forge weld. You can see where mine is missing and I included a pic of a 5th footed anvil with foot still there.

bbcode link image

Thank you for the quick lesson on old anvils.
Psalms 144

Offline aaronc

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2019, 04:50:18 AM »
I'm not a metal worker,....but she sure is purdy. Love that smoothed over patina she has.
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2019, 06:20:32 PM »

This is a stake anvil for sheetmetal work

This is a wheelright's anvil for welding tires

This is a cooper's anvil for welding barrel hoops, etc. I use it for small welds close to the forge.

This is my nicest anvil, 196 lb Sweedish Paragon

Here's a little Peter Wright 98 lber. Despite the rust, it's in really good shape

This was my great-grandfather's 160 Lb Peter Wright. He mostly did boat hardware, oyster dredges and rigging.
I don't collect anvils per se. All but 1 or 2 were given to me.
None of mine have a fifth foot. What is the purpose of the one shown above?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 06:34:08 PM by Nordnecker »
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline jcmcclure

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2019, 02:35:28 AM »

Not an expert by any means, but the 5th foot was for nothing more than stability and wider base.

This short read does a great job of explaining some history behind it.

https://www.anvilfire.com/anvils/af_anvils-5th-foot.php
This is a stake anvil for sheetmetal work

This is a wheelright's anvil for welding tires

This is a cooper's anvil for welding barrel hoops, etc. I use it for small welds close to the forge.

This is my nicest anvil, 196 lb Sweedish Paragon

Here's a little Peter Wright 98 lber. Despite the rust, it's in really good shape

This was my great-grandfather's 160 Lb Peter Wright. He mostly did boat hardware, oyster dredges and rigging.
I don't collect anvils per se. All but 1 or 2 were given to me.
None of mine have a fifth foot. What is the purpose of the one shown above?