Author Topic: good flints  (Read 1956 times)

Offline Phil Neal

good flints
« on: November 23, 2019, 05:28:33 AM »
I'm sure this has been discussed before, I searched but did not find anything.  Is there a preferred vendor  to purchase quality flints, black English is my preferred.  The last two vendors I ordered from were OK, but with too many on the iffy side.

Offline LynnC

Re: good flints
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 07:02:44 AM »
I bought some of Rich’s Rocks years ago. Very good flints. Rich Pierce on this board. I been away for quit a while but reckon he still sells em........Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline Dave Marsh

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 07:21:51 AM »
Rich, does not sell them any longer.  I have had good luck with Track of the Wolf English flints. 

Dave
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline Phil Neal

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 07:34:21 AM »
Thanks, I believe I will try TOTW next.

Online wattlebuster

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2019, 03:52:46 PM »
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Sparkitoff

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2019, 03:58:03 PM »
I have a few L&R locks, so I just buy them from L&R. They tell me that they have tried many and this type they sell is the best sparking, longest lasting in their locks. So far so good for the past few years.....

Offline EC121

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2019, 06:17:03 PM »
I just bought 100 black English and 100 French flints from Stonewall Creek.  They all look like nice flints.  Mr. Roop says they are knapped in Germany but the rock is English and French.
Brice Stultz

Offline retired fella

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2019, 06:23:42 PM »
I must have been born in Missouri in a previous life (show me).  I always prefer to pick my own (black English) on site from vendors.  My Siler likes thin ones.  Some here use diamond files to straighten out the "wonky" ones.      Good luck, it's part of the journey.

Offline LynnC

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2019, 07:34:10 PM »
Sorry to hear Rich no longer sells his flints. Good sparkers they were.

They were the only flints i ever bought. Most of mine come from surface find shards in plowed fields. Old indian sites. Their discard from point making. Its not hard to shape your own flints if so inclined.

I would imagine many of you make your own.....Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2019, 10:53:08 PM »
I still have a good supply of Rich's white flints.  Also have a good supply of black and French flints all in the sizes I need.  It will be a while before I'll need to order again from TOW and a couple of others.  The sources listed in the posts plus a couple more I'm aware of offer good quality at a fair price.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2019, 12:42:02 PM »
I just bought 100 black English and 100 French flints from Stonewall Creek.  They all look like nice flints.  Mr. Roop says they are knapped in Germany but the rock is English and French.
I'm glad to see Troy is able to offer Black English again. He's not had them for a while. I've been using his French Amber for the last few years, and find them quite good. Might give the Black English a try..."just because" (I like to try stuff).  ;)
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)