Author Topic: Building Blind  (Read 10992 times)

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Building Blind
« on: November 24, 2019, 02:42:32 AM »
Hi Folks,
This project began with a phone call from Dave Keck.  He said he spoke with a young man, Josh Tabor, from Vermont who was blind but was wanting to build a rifle and called him about a stock, barrel, and parts.  Dave understood clearly that there were some issues involved and the caller was a bit confused about the building process and long rifles.  He called me and asked if I could help Josh out because he was not sure he was able to do that very well.  I do what I can to take care of my Vermont family so I contacted Josh.  Josh was blinded and hearing impaired by disease when he was very young. He grew up in a farming family and has had a rough time because services for people with disabilities in rural America is pretty limited. He loves historical re-enacting but that community was lukewarm to him because of his blindness. He competed in primitive winter biathlons and woods walks in Vermont and harvested turkeys with a muzzleloader.  He dreamed about building and owning a long rifle.  I found Josh to be smart and able and decided to help him build a long rifle, which he will use in woods walks and hunts.  Josh and I have no illusions about the gun building process. There are many steps that he cannot do but there are also many that he can, and I am committed to discovering just how much he can do.  So we have started building a long rifle.  He had an older Getz barrel, 54 cal, 38" long, swamped that was probably made for the early Haines kits.  It was given to him by a friend.  I had an older Siler lock that needed some upgrading, and bought parts to make it into a really first class lock. A local muzzleloading store owner had a good curly maple stock blank, which he sold for to Josh for a very small sum.  The up shot is we are on our way.  Dave Keck did an expert job inletting the barrel and drilling the ramrod hole.  We designed a nice early Lancaster style gun and Josh is working with me to build it. Certainly, there are many tasks that I have to do but there are also many he can do and we are devising means for that to happen.  Here are some early photos of Josh inletting the the bolster on the breech plug.  One challenge was figuring out a way for him to hold the chisel perfectly vertical.  He had a natural tendency to angle the chisel away from him.  So we developed a rule that said place the chisel at the angle you think is vertical and then rock it back toward yourself a little.  It worked.  He got the bolster inlet quickly with minimal guidance.  When he correctly flicked out the first chip of wood from the mortice, he smiled like a man really happy. This project will be a challenge but fun.

dave

"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
Re: Building Blind
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 02:57:30 AM »
now this is about the coolest thing ever. 
Galations 2:20

Offline flehto

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 03:12:39 AM »
I can't imagine this scenario, but do wish him all the luck in the world. I've got serious eye problems which forced me to cease building, but I still drive and can watch TV.  Dave....you're a wonderful guy to do what you think is best for Josh. Looking forward to the completed LR. WOW!.....Fred

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 03:13:26 AM »
Dave

What a great opportunity for both of you!! You are to be commended Dave!!!!!

Mitch

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2019, 03:21:57 AM »
Dave, I just don't have words to adequately say what is in my heart. You da Man,so is Josh. What a great story. Best regards to both of y;all. Dave F in WV 8) 8)

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2019, 04:32:46 AM »
Dave & Josh,  My hats off to you both - Josh for having the courage and conviction to not let anything keep him from his goals.  Dave for taking the time to share your outstanding skills and knowledge to help him achieve them. God bless you both. 

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2019, 04:34:01 AM »
This is fabulous.  Blessing to you both. Please keep us updated on this story.
Kunk

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2019, 04:43:13 AM »
Dave this sounds like it might be one of yours and Josh,s more challenging efforts. My very best wishes go out to both of you.

Offline msellers

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2019, 04:43:28 AM »
Dave,
I don't have much, but would donate a couple parts if I have them for this build. This is a great story and an inspiration to say the least.
Mike

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2019, 04:51:19 AM »
Hi and thank you all,
Here is the finished barrel tang.  There are a few gaps but Josh did really well.  We are using tape to mark outlines that he can feel.  That seems to work pretty well.  I also will cut a deep outline groove that he can follow and insert a chisel into my cut.  We are figuring out tricks but don't get me wrong, much of the work I will have to do.  However, he and I come up with new ideas every session that get him directly involved in the process more and more. Get ready for some astonishing things. 

dave

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2019, 05:12:00 AM »
Yeah, man !! Go for it. Looking good. This has made my day,probly several days. Dave F 8) 8)

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2019, 05:19:00 AM »
"I can't imagine this scenario, but do wish him all the luck in the world. I've got serious eye problems which forced me to cease building, but I still drive and can watch TV.  Dave....you're a wonderful guy to do what you think is best for Josh. Looking forward to the completed LR. WOW!.....Fred"

I am sorry to hear that Fred.  Seeing your guns you've posted in the past sure has brought me a lot of enjoyment.  More for their owners I am positive.   God Bless,   Marc

Offline mountainman

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2019, 05:24:34 AM »
That's awesom man! God bless your work for helping with this project! Very inspirational!

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2019, 04:16:36 PM »
Hi,
Thanks everyone for looking and commenting. The project will be a challenge but the story is not about me.  It is about Josh and his determination.  Mike, thank you.  That is a generous offer but I think we have all the parts we need.  I am going to see how many Josh can make by hand.  The project will go slowly because Josh lives about 40-50 miles away on the other side of the Green Mountains and there are very few transportation options available for him in rural Vermont.  His wife works long hours and can only bring him over every few weeks.  I meet them half way.  Rich, Tom, Larry, and John might remember the powder horn Josh made that I brought to Dixon's. It's an astonishing horn given he has never seen a powder horn.  He's never seen a long rifle either, except with his hands. He currently shoots an old flintlock NW trade gun by Sitting Fox, I think.  He brings the gun up to his shoulder and has a friend sight it from behind, telling him when to squeeze. However, only Josh touches the gun. As you can imagine, he does not do well shooting paper but does pretty well with larger metal animal targets and the "ding" gives him instant feed back.  A short side story: I picked up the stock blank from a vendor in VT and delivered it to Josh. He packed it up with the barrel and shipped it USPS to Dave Keck.  En route, the barrel fell out in one of the trucks because Josh did not reinforce the ends of the box very well.  Dave called me when he opened the box and only saw the stock.  I called Josh and he went down to his local PO and they very quickly tracked down the trucks used for the transport and had someone check them.  Within a couple days, the barrel was delivered to Dave.  Rural POs, where they know everybody in town, can be a great asset.

dave       

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2019, 04:42:40 PM »
I did my last by hand inletting on a rifle build that is still only a barrel in a piece of black walnut.
It was a simple rectangular tang.This young man's inletting is something to be very proud of
and I hope we get to see this project as an ongoing thing for however long it takes.I had some
visual problems but two operations to remove cataracts and new glasses for close work and
all is well at least for a while.Dave, YOU are a real man and we are proud of you and your giving
time to help this young man.

Bob Roller

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2019, 05:12:08 PM »
Dave, you never cease to amaze me, your kindness, your skill and your heart are what this world needs today. Bless you

Jon

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2019, 05:34:49 PM »
R sum!
Hold to the Wind

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2019, 06:42:12 PM »
Dave, you are to be commended for your kindness and patience.    God bless both of you as I am sure he has.

Offline Kevin

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2019, 07:02:18 PM »
Wow!  I look forward to following this thread.  Best wishes to all involved.

Kevin

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2019, 07:15:07 PM »
This story is amazing  8). Josh sounds like a pretty amazing guy indeed. I can not begin to understand how he does this even with your help. All the best to Josh and you Dave ;D
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2019, 08:04:33 PM »
This whole concept goes right to the top!!  Good on you Dave.  I know Josh appreciates your commitment and generosity.

Fellow builders:  we can take a page out of Josh's book...here's a man who is not afraid to try or to make a mistake, or step out on a limb of unknown safety.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2019, 08:23:18 PM »
Hat's off to you both Dave.

This is the far-outest thing I have heard of in a build, and a great tribute to you both!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2019, 09:35:54 PM »
Absolutely incredible. Hat's off to you, Dave, for taking this project on and working selflessly to assist this young man.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline tlallijr

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2019, 10:27:56 PM »
Dave, what a great thing your doing !

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2019, 10:43:52 PM »
Dave, wow, that's a heck of a good thing you're doing to help Josh realize his dream. 
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."