Author Topic: Late Bags?  (Read 1096 times)

Smokey Plainsman

Late Bags?
« on: November 24, 2019, 08:13:15 AM »
Friends, I am wondering about the characteristics, appearance, and form of the late era shooting bags and other accouterments. I’m wondering about those used from about 1840 onwards. What were they like? What were they colored like, materials, etc.?

I’m awaiting delivery of a half-stocked Ohio style percussion rifle and do not have any bags, but I’d like one extremely badly. I just want one that’s period, I’m not a reenactor but want all my trappings to be as period as possible.

Any help would be appreciated from the knowledge people here. Thank you and have a Happy Thanksgiving! :)

-Smokey

Offline art riser

Re: Late Bags?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 10:29:49 PM »
Mid-Nineteenth century leather sack and powder horn found in Virginia, similar to what was carried by some Missouri State Guard troops early in the war. The pouch contains everything related to the bearer’s weapon; a cone pick, small brush, bullet mold for a .36 caliber round ball, nine lead round balls, greased patches, a bone priming horn, and a knife. The powder horn is made from an animal horn and is attached to the pouch by a strap. The back of the pouch has a pocket for the knife.

Although some Missouri State Guardsmen carried military weapons and equipment, many utilized civilian weapons and personal hunting equipment, generally brought from home when the men enlisted.

Image Courtesy Wilson’s Creek National Battlefield; WICR 30686