Author Topic: Slick bore wild flyers?  (Read 998 times)

Offline 577SXS

Slick bore wild flyers?
« on: December 06, 2019, 03:50:34 PM »
I was going way back in reading old threads and saw where someone commented about if your lube makes bore too slick you will have flyers. Now I've never heard this before and got my interest up. I've shot muzzleloaders for over 50 years and have almost always made my own patch lube. I used a  mixture of candle wax not bees wax and lots of different oils and greases. I would hot dip my patch material and then I had prelubed patches ready to go. Using this lube the patched ball will ram very easily down the bore without having to hammer or bang the rod up and down to get ball to move. I've tried every other lube that has been mentioned over the years and lots of them you need a 9 lb hammer to drive the ball down. I got some bees wax some time back and made my lube with it and started having flyers like crazy. Everything thing else seemed perfect. I figured the stickiness of the bees wax was making my patches stick to ball and was causing my flyers. I stopped using that lube and decided to try a new lube. I had a tube of Bore Butter laying around so I started lubing my patches with it. Got some of the best groups I've ever shot and ball slid down barrel so easy and smooth.
OK so how can a too slick bore cause flyers?

Offline Daryl

Re: Slick bore wild flyers?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 08:42:50 PM »
Beeswax is for bullet lubes, not for patches. I'd say the same for paraffin (candle) waxes. If it works for you, that's nice, but I also found in the ctg. guns, paraffin
was a poor substitute for good beeswax in the home grown lubes.  Beeswax cannot have any honey in it apparently, or it is not a lubricant. The honey ruins it.
Most of us have heard of a bore shooting "slick" with 10's of thousands of shots, not of a too-slick lube causing flyers.
The slickest lube I've ever used, was Lehigh Valley Lube, original formula as well as the intermediary formula. I found both to shoot identically, but needed an
extra 10gr. of 3F powder to do so in my .45 and .40 cal barrels. Neither of these cause flyers, just tighter groups when the powder charge was increased over
what shot with the water based lubes.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
Re: Slick bore wild flyers?
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 11:41:38 PM »
Of the patch lubes I've used at least a couple qualify as "slick".  Never had any flyers due to them being slick.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.