Author Topic: More measures  (Read 2361 times)

Offline B.Barker

More measures
« on: November 26, 2019, 03:21:01 AM »
Have more measures made up and a pan brush. I really need to get a gun built.

Offline Notchy Bob

Re: More measures
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 02:28:01 PM »
Nice work!  Old powder measures came in many forms.

I particularly like the three non-adjustable measures in the middle of your pictures.  It is my understanding that the old Indian trade rifles had a tin powder measure and a worm included as part of the package.  I'm not certain, but I think the powder measures looked a lot like yours.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us.  Should have rode horses.  Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 03:23:32 PM »
Brian, those look awesome!  Are they for sale, or are you building up stock for shows?  I’m pretty fond of the second one from the left...

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 10:20:21 PM »
Greg the two plain adjustable measures are for sale. If you want it I'll hold it for you.

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 11:24:49 PM »
Is the base of the fixed measures thick and heavy? I’d love a lightweight fixed measure. Brass I take it?

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 01:22:52 AM »
Commercial ones can't begin to compare with that.  Excellent work.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 02:58:54 AM »
Brian, I’ll take one.  Drop me a message about payment...Merry Christmas to me!

Thanks!
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 08:43:17 AM »
What is you asking price for the other available adjustable measure?
Psalms 144

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2019, 07:04:31 AM »
Clark they are all sold. I have a couple of others ordered but I'm not sure how many of these I'll be making for a while.

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2019, 09:10:49 PM »
Nice work!  Old powder measures came in many forms.

I particularly like the three non-adjustable measures in the middle of your pictures.  It is my understanding that the old Indian trade rifles had a tin powder measure and a worm included as part of the package.  I'm not certain, but I think the powder measures looked a lot like yours.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Generally the gunsmith included a "tin charger" with each new gun he sold.  Generally.  The diameter of the charger was sized to fit directly into the muzzle of the gun to insure that all of the powder in the measure went into the bore.  I have seen unused original half stocked rifles out of Hagerstown with the original tin charger in the patch box.  Most were "1 grain per caliber" or slightly less.  That being common when the gun was shooting the fast hot burning sporting powders of the 1800s.  When I was making these in quantity I would form the tube around different size dowels for different diameter bores.  I did have problems when using narrow strips of tin plate for the loop on the cap of the charger.  The edges of the tin loop would cut any string or strip of leather.  With the tin loops I would attach one chain link to tie onto.  Then some I would use round iron wire for loops.

Bill K.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2019, 04:39:38 PM »
A bit more photos, close-up.....  Brian does lovely work.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline Notchy Bob

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2019, 08:50:37 PM »

Generally the gunsmith included a "tin charger" with each new gun he sold.  Generally.  The diameter of the charger was sized to fit directly into the muzzle of the gun to insure that all of the powder in the measure went into the bore.  I have seen unused original half stocked rifles out of Hagerstown with the original tin charger in the patch box.  Most were "1 grain per caliber" or slightly less.  That being common when the gun was shooting the fast hot burning sporting powders of the 1800s.  When I was making these in quantity I would form the tube around different size dowels for different diameter bores.  I did have problems when using narrow strips of tin plate for the loop on the cap of the charger.  The edges of the tin loop would cut any string or strip of leather.  With the tin loops I would attach one chain link to tie onto.  Then some I would use round iron wire for loops.

Bill K.

Very interesting.  Thanks for the information!

Notchy Bob
"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us.  Should have rode horses.  Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2019, 08:55:32 PM »
Wow!  That sure is snazzy, Marc!  I haven’t been to the mailbox yet, but mine should be here as well. Can’t wait...I think I’m gonna make a little sheath and brass chain it to the strap on that bag I just finished... 8)

Edit:  Brian, I got my measure today...I’ve wanted one for a couple years, ever since I saw the last ones you posted.  Guys, these are a VERY high quality piece of gear, and if you ever get a chance, snap one up!

Greg
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 01:21:39 AM by Greg Pennell »

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2019, 04:30:49 AM »
Thank you Marc and Greg for the kind words and glad you both like your measures.