Author Topic: Kibler Kit Tools?  (Read 2450 times)

Offline Cajun72

• Starting Member
Kibler Kit Tools?
« on: November 27, 2019, 04:30:19 AM »
Well ordered a Kibler SMR Kit. So what is a good vise and list of tools to have on hand? Just doing a basic build no carving or patchbox. Any input would be helpful.
B/R
Adam

Offline jaeren

Re: Kibler Kit Tools?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 06:06:28 AM »
If you look on you tube you should find videos of Jim building one of his kits. It will show the tools he uses and the method of assembling his kit. I saved the videos and watch them when I have the time. There are three on the SMR. And others on staining and carving. As well as the ones on the colonial rifle.

link to first video: added
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 06:15:21 AM by jaeren »

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 06:13:46 AM »
Congratulations, you will enjoy the process and build a great rifle.

Off the top of my head, a few chisels, good screw drivers, a large marker pen for inletting black, a sanding block, a large single cut file for the barrel, brass drift, a triangular safe side file...maybe.   A machinist vice with padded jaws will work. 

As a beginner  the most important thing is think about what you are doing as to not cause damage.  The metal fits so well it may be tempting to force it onto place.  You might be able to do that but removing it again might split out some wood.   Jim's kits are pretty much assemble without cutting, very minimal in-letting work needs to be done.   Search, "Kibler's Longrifles" on youtube to see Jim's excellent videos. If you put his rifle assembly and finishing videos on a lap top you could follow along in the shop.  IF you did that,  I think any reasonably "handy" person could do a good job the first time. 

One  good idea is to case harden the screw heads before you start work.  The screws will get buggered up if you take them in and out several times. 

« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 06:40:28 AM by Scota4570 »

Offline Cajun72

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 09:12:25 AM »
Thanks for the tips

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2019, 12:17:10 AM »
Well ordered a Kibler SMR Kit. So what is a good vise and list of tools to have on hand? Just doing a basic build no carving or patchbox. Any input would be helpful.
B/R
Adam

Adam,

You might want to take a look at this vise.  https://www.woodcraft.com/products/woodriver-patternmakers-or-gunstock-carving-vise
Several of the guys on the ALR have these.  I have two of them on my bench. The current sale price is the lowest price I've seen on them in a very long time.

Mole Eyes

Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline John Shaw

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2019, 05:49:32 AM »
I'm thinking of buying the same kit in a year or so. Keep us posted on how it goes. You might want to consider an extra set of screws to use during the build and fit and time the final ones when you're nearly done.