Author Topic: First attempt at poured nosecap  (Read 1640 times)

Offline scottmc

First attempt at poured nosecap
« on: November 27, 2019, 04:36:34 PM »
After reading what u all do and then talking with Mike Lyons about his recent success, I finally did mine last night.  It appears to have turned out ok for now.  I have a lot filing to do to get down to the wood but the pour was uneventful.  Only used tape to seal holes.  No clay and other stuff.  I'll post my pics after I get down to the finished area.  This my SMR that is simply a copy of various attributes that I like from several originals.  The nosecap will be a copy of the W.D. seen in Randall Pierce's book.

Remember Paoli!

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
Re: First attempt at poured nosecap
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 07:08:07 PM »
Nice job!
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline scottmc

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 11:07:07 PM »
Here it is all filed out.  Also a picture of the barrel channel to see how it flowed in there.
Remember Paoli!

Offline scottmc

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 11:08:06 PM »
Here it is all filed out.  Also a picture of the barrel channel to see how it flowed in there.

Remember Paoli!

Offline msellers

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 11:18:09 PM »
That turned out quite nice, I really like how it turned out.
Mike

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 11:35:17 PM »
Good job, Scott  - and a great boost to those of us who haven't tried it yet for lack of bravery!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline scottmc

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2019, 02:19:05 AM »
Craig, I felt the same way.  I had it all carved up last evening and was just kind of pacing back and forth debating when to do the pour.  I finally said the heck with it and turned on my camp stove and put the pewter bar in the ladle.  Heated a bolt and dropped it in the barrel.  Had the fire extinguisher right there and said here goes.  I tapped the barrel lightly as I poured with the other hand.  I was shocked how not so bad it was.  I closely followed the Hoot Al tutorial by Steve Bookout.
Remember Paoli!

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2019, 05:06:37 AM »
That turned out well.  Great job. 

Willbarq

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2019, 08:13:35 AM »
I just tried this too. I was trying to build a nosecap from sheet brass and just didn't seem to wanna come together, so I went this route. It took three tries to get it figured out. Slow learner I guess.

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2019, 03:54:31 PM »
Good job.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2019, 06:04:18 PM »
I tried that a couple times with disastrous effect every time. I just don't build guns that require that type of nose piece now.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline scottmc

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2019, 07:31:53 PM »
Mike, I find that hard to believe!🤥  You are too good not to be able to do it.  Listen, my opinion is this.  I'm only an average builder at best and this is only my 7th gun, maybe.  I'm slow because I probably think things through too much.  I feel that anyone on this site that has built can do it.  Believe me when I say I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Now Mike, a question for you since you mentioned it.  When did poured nosecaps begin to appear historically?  I was just thinking about it the other day.
Remember Paoli!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2019, 07:37:26 PM »
Mike, I find that hard to believe!🤥  You are too good not to be able to do it.  Listen, my opinion is this.  I'm only an average builder at best and this is only my 7th gun, maybe.  I'm slow because I probably think things through too much.  I feel that anyone on this site that has built can do it.  Believe me when I say I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Now Mike, a question for you since you mentioned it.  When did poured nosecaps begin to appear historically?  I was just thinking about it the other day.
Post 1800
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2019, 07:46:43 PM »
   Speaking of poured nose caps...where you all get your pewter...?

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2019, 08:27:15 PM »

Speaking of poured nose caps...where you all get your pewter...?
Goodwill and I normally add a pound on TOTW orders.