Author Topic: Patch box release button ?  (Read 977 times)

Offline Dave B

Patch box release button ?
« on: November 29, 2019, 01:05:58 AM »
I have been working on a restoration of missing toe plate release button. The question is has any one see this style of elongated rectangle release that is used by George Eister, Peter Barry and others
The remnant inlet that held the button section is about a 1/4" wide x  3/4' but all the pictures I see shows the button to be maybe only 3/16 wide x 5/8". So my thought is they used a shelf surround to keep the button from popping through the inlet. Has any one seen one of these apart to comment. I made one similar with a silver top hat button as it were to press to release the patch box lid. The other interesting thing is the catch for the lid and how they made it as well as the hand made screw to keep it in place

Dave Blaisdell

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Patch box release button ?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 02:42:54 AM »
Nice pictures of that patchbox catch/release spring. Thanks

I’ve not seen how that release button is made. I’d solder the top hat to a wider base but could see it being one piece of solid iron like a wide underlug for a wedge.
Andover, Vermont

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 03:31:56 AM »
I made a one piece button from nickel silver. I have a chunk 3/8x3/4 about 4 in long. I made the button 3/16 x 1/2 and .150" tall,my toe plate is 1/16 so that makes the button about .90 when everything is put together.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 04:08:26 AM by flinchrocket »

Online J. Talbert

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 01:11:54 AM »
I've not had the opportunity to see the  button under the toe plate on any originals, but one observation on several Eister examples is that the button is more long and narrow, and also positioned a little farther forward.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell