Author Topic: Jug Choking barrel prep  (Read 2120 times)

Offline Nhgrants

Jug Choking barrel prep
« on: November 29, 2019, 05:45:32 AM »
If a barrel is sent out to be jug choked, do the lugs, sights and plug need to be removed?

Offline Mauser06

Re: Jug Choking barrel prep
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 05:59:02 AM »
Ask whoever is going to jug it.   

I sent one to Caywood and he was able to do it with everything mounted. 

Offline Nhgrants

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 06:00:26 AM »
How did it pattern after it was done?

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 01:55:42 PM »
I have had several barrels choked by Danny an he knows what he is doing. All shot really good patterns with shot an did very well with ball out to about 50/60 yds
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2019, 05:04:04 PM »
My job was slightly different as it was a Colerain turkey choke when I sent it to him.  He had to ream out the taper choke before jugging it.  Its a 20ga

I'm very confident it'll take a turkey at 30 yards.  Probably further.  Guys have claimed GREAT patterns to 40+yds with a jugged gun but I've never seen jugged patterns better than mine posted...I count holes and want a certain density before I call it a turkey gun...I'm not happy with a couple hits on a turkey target...

Also have taken 3 deer with it with roundballs.  Very versatile gun. 

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2019, 06:23:36 PM »
Did the turkey choke not work or was it bad for round ball?
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2019, 07:11:17 PM »
Colerain says not to shoot a ball...it's an internally tapered choke much like a modern fixed choke gun...going from .62 to .58 or so in the last inch. 

Few things about it....
it's a little finicky to load due to the choke. 
It was REAL finicky to clean....it burped black water in my face regularly...
It shoots fantastic patterns. 

I actually built another with the turkey choke barrel for a dedicated turkey gun.   The jug is definitely good enough for turkey hunting.  I just prefer a tighter pattern in a dedicated turkey gun.  I am a pretty avid turkey hunter and primarily only hunt with a flintlock as of the last couple of years. 

Round ball groups without actually testing different ways of loading....I was able to get 3-4" groups consistently at 50 yards off a bench.  At 40yds I was ringing 6" steels freehand without trouble. 

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2019, 07:40:33 PM »
All jug chokes are not created equal. It depends on who jugs them and if they know how to do it. I have had a  20 bore jugged by Tennyson that would shoot  ALL of 1 1/4 oz of shot load in an 18" circle @ 25 yards.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2019, 09:51:42 PM »
That's definitely a tight choke, Mike.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2019, 10:45:25 PM »
That's definitely a tight choke, Mike.
Yup, guillotine results on a turk head. :)
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2019, 10:49:45 PM »
All jug chokes are not created equal. It depends on who jugs them and if they know how to do it. I have had a  20 bore jugged by Tennyson that would shoot  ALL of 1 1/4 oz of shot load in an 18" circle @ 25 yards.

Would you have him do another? Sound just right for a 16 that might see waterfowl or passing doves as well as a gobbler. Where is he found?
Hold to the Wind

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2019, 09:31:34 PM »
    Mike suppose you sold her too...?  I had a killer Tulle that shot very good patterns...but atlas sold it...yee old money talks syndrome... Oldtravler

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2019, 09:35:49 PM »

Would you have him do another? Sound just right for a 16 that might see waterfowl or passing doves as well as a gobbler. Where is he found?
He has done every jugged gun I have built.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2019, 09:36:27 PM »
    Mike suppose you sold her too...?  I had a killer Tulle that shot very good patterns...but atlas sold it...yee old money talks syndrome... Oldtravler
It was spoke for a couple years before I built it.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2019, 09:40:35 PM »

Where does a fellow find him?

--found some info from 2007 in a thread over on the other side of the intry net.  Blue Grass Iowa? He still there? 

Oh, I see he is a ham as well.  KB0BA
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 09:52:16 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2019, 09:50:55 PM »

Where does a fellow find him?

--found some info from 2007 in a thread over on the other side of the intry net.  Blue Grass Iowa? He still there?
Yup.