Author Topic: A small horn - finally finished  (Read 2543 times)

Offline Kevin

A small horn - finally finished
« on: December 01, 2019, 04:44:13 AM »
Greetings All,

Here's a couple photos of a small horn that I had been occasionally scraping and shaping during slow moments at some living history events over the past half a decade or so.  I just rubbed it down with a coat of Wonder Wax and called it done.  It goes about 7 and 3/8 inches along the outside curve.

The walnut end plug was sized to the natural shape of the horn and given a very low dome profile.  It's held in place by six cut nails.  The horn's surface retains signs of scraping and the spout end was given an octagonal shape above the raised ring.  Was going for a made-in-the-farm's-workshop look, not that of a professional hornmaker.  Comments welcome.

Enjoy,
Kevin

Offline LynnC

Re: A small horn - finally finished
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 05:13:46 AM »
I like it. My kinda horn.

I admire the the high folk art stuff but I make simple horns and bags to go with each gun i make for family and friends.

Well Done.......Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

smokepole45cal

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 05:54:41 AM »
Not a thing wrong with that. Nice.

RoaringBull

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 06:21:00 AM »
I'd buy that. That's perfect!

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2019, 06:27:41 AM »
That’s a nice looking horn.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2019, 05:08:26 PM »
 Well done, looks Good to me.

Tim C.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2019, 11:03:26 PM »
Bravo! A wonderful little horn that is period correct. The "Muskrat" would be proud to hang this over his shoulder.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline aaronc

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 12:07:20 AM »
Can't ever go wrong with simple, clean, and highly functional. Very attractive piece,...whats not to like.
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline Curtis Makamson

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2019, 04:21:52 PM »
That's a good looking horn.
Dubious artisan, semi-literate writer, pretend photographer, woeful speaker, impractical dreamer, hoarder of distractions, purveyor of irrelevance, connoisseur of whimsy, prolific starter, paltry finisher.

Offline Kevin

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2019, 07:12:30 PM »
Greetings All,

Thanks to all for the positive comments.  My last horn project, prior to this one, was circa 1980.  I have a few raw horns in the basement that will be getting some attention.  They too date to circa 1980.

Take Care,
Kevin

Offline Mick C

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2019, 10:36:16 PM »
Very nicely crafted.  Well done!
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2019, 07:55:13 PM »
Kevin, you did a nice fine job here.  Nothing wrong with the simple design or overall look.  Especially the fit of the base plug looks right.  Hope to see you tackle more horn challenges in the future.
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2019, 12:30:57 AM »
.... hard to see details in the pic,... this is a small horn I found at a flea market here in the NC mountains... came from Haywood Co. along with a .32cal mold, and two old cap tins,and a couple very soft lead rifle-balls...was all in a small box with a note that reads, "Cogburn Rifle bullets"...horn is just under 6" on outside curve,.. no provision for strap,... raised-carved band is about 1/2" wide, and tip has 8 flat-carved facets and 10 small iron nails holding end cap,.. I think in the late 19th-early 20th century, these old mountain hunters saw no need to carry around a large horn with a pound of powder and a bag with half their earthly belongings,.. a small horn, a few balls and a strip of patching in the pocket of their jumper and their old hog-rifle would do for a day's hunt,... I have also found the 8 facets on the tip to be a common North Carolina horn feature,... even on older, large horns,... you have done a great job,... I like it,... regards,... CCF...

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2019, 02:35:18 AM »
That's a nice little horn.

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2019, 10:11:25 AM »
.... hard to see details in the pic,... this is a small horn I found at a flea market here in the NC mountains... came from Haywood Co. along with a .32cal mold, and two old cap tins,and a couple very soft lead rifle-balls...was all in a small box with a note that reads, "Cogburn Rifle bullets"...horn is just under 6" on outside curve,.. no provision for strap,... raised-carved band is about 1/2" wide, and tip has 8 flat-carved facets and 10 small iron nails holding end cap,.. I think in the late 19th-early 20th century, these old mountain hunters saw no need to carry around a large horn with a pound of powder and a bag with half their earthly belongings,.. a small horn, a few balls and a strip of patching in the pocket of their jumper and their old hog-rifle would do for a day's hunt,... I have also found the 8 facets on the tip to be a common North Carolina horn feature,... even on older, large horns,... you have done a great job,... I like it,... regards,... CCF...

Man, now that’s neat. Makes sense they’d tuck a horn in their pouch if it were small enough.

Offline Curtis Makamson

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2019, 08:40:59 PM »
There something special about those horns that appear to be simple.  But, just because they appear to be simple does not by any means imply they are simple to make.  That is a good one.
Dubious artisan, semi-literate writer, pretend photographer, woeful speaker, impractical dreamer, hoarder of distractions, purveyor of irrelevance, connoisseur of whimsy, prolific starter, paltry finisher.

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2019, 02:56:28 AM »
For many years, when I hunted more, if I was going out for a short hunt,  I would do just what Dana just stated. One load in my gun, two balls in my watch pocket, a small horn and some patching in my jacket pocket with a tin of caps if percusion. Ready to go.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2019, 03:05:27 AM »
Super!

Offline JohnnyFM

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2019, 02:54:06 PM »
Very nice fit and finish.  Simple elegance.

Offline Notchy Bob

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2019, 06:42:17 PM »
Kevin,

You did a nice job on that little bag horn.  The most remarkable point to be made, though, is the similarity to the original shown by Cade's Cove Fiddler.  Small size (6"- 7"), simple raised ring, octagonal spout, and no provision for a strap on the butt end.  That is authentic!

I believe small powder receptacles may have been more common, back in the day, than we realize.  We have in the family two little gourds which were used for this purpose, and carried in a haversack or pouch.  One of them is about the shape and size of a 100 watt light bulb, although with a smaller neck.  It was used as a powder gourd by my great grandfather.  His wife would "borrow" it now and then to use as a darning ball for mending socks!  The other gourd was grown by my dad around the time of World War I.  He made a crude wooden box and put the gourd in it while it was small, so it grew to the shape of the box, with a square cross section.  Maybe the next time I visit my brother, we can pull them out and take some pictures to post.

Anyway, I would like to make one of these small horns.  I have a couple of smallish bison horns that might do, but I would like to find a horn with coloration like the one shown by Mr. Fiddler.  I haven't made a powder horn in a long time, and this would be a good project for easing back into the craft.

Thanks to both of you guys for posting!

Notchy Bob
"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us.  Should have rode horses.  Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Offline Kevin

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2019, 08:03:49 PM »
Notchy Bob, Thank you for the compliment on the horn.

Also, many thanks to CCF for posting the horn he discovered and shared with us.

I have to agree with the multiple comments and observations that a small horn, or other powder container, is useful and handy to have around.  Not everyone making use of a flintlock or caplock was planning to be away from home for an extended period of time.  One of my great-great-great grandfathers (a Pennsylvania farmer) commented in his 1862 day book about being out to the mountain to hunt deer for the day.  That single late fall or early winter day is the only entry that makes any mention of hunting.  He, most likely, wasn't carrying around an over abundance of powder for his day hunt.

Kevin

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2020, 01:43:39 PM »
The simplicity is a great asset.  Well done.