Author Topic: A Horn Press  (Read 1086 times)

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
A Horn Press
« on: December 01, 2019, 08:01:15 PM »
 After seeing the question on flattening horns I thought I would throw this out there, this setup has worked for me for years. It is made up from Beach, hard stuff if you have never worked with it before, a couple nuts, bolts and fender washers. It about 12 X 6", I never had a need to flatten a larger horn. The other Pic is of some sizers, once the horn is soft you can start to flatten it by just putting it in the press and using your hand press down while tightening the nuts. Once it gets close to the size you want put in the Two outside sizers (There outside edge is rounded) followed by the center one, #3 followed by 2 and 4. The little helpers at the top Left can be tapped in to help spread out and tighten up the main sizers.
 I do cut the tip and drill the hole but do no other shaping to the horn before pressing. If you want to put a band or Two on one fit the bands while the horn is sill round. Once it is flat and shaped heat the bands, they will soften up enough to bent to the shape of the flat horn.
 I still use water. 

Tim C.

PS: Best to decide before you start what direction you want your horn in, flat as seen from the side or straight up and down as seen from the top. Not all horns are good candidates for flattening. TC

Offline Mike from OK

Re: A Horn Press
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 09:13:31 PM »
Great tutorial Tim. Thank you.

Mike

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 10:43:49 PM »
Nice little set up, Tim. Thanks for sharing.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline aaronc

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 12:03:31 AM »
Nice set up Tim.
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 03:38:38 PM »
Nice...simple and effective...yet another project for the shop!  Thanks, Tim!

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline JohnnyFM

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 04:46:55 PM »
Thumbs up! Thanks.