Author Topic: Kibler Colonial kit assembly  (Read 3597 times)

Offline Stoner creek

Kibler Colonial kit assembly
« on: December 01, 2019, 10:08:48 PM »
 I took advantage of the sale that Jim Kibler had on the kits with the Chambers locks. I had seen and heard a lot so my curiosity was up. I bought the Colonial kit.
 From opening the box to glancing through the instructions to complete assembly the process took 2 1/2 hours. No hiccups no issues everything fits. Drill and tap work on the lock bolts took longer than anything.
 Decoration and finish will take awhile but so far so good! I recommend and I ain’t a kit type of guy.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Dave Marsh

Re: Kibler Colonial kit assembly
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 10:37:52 PM »
Can we see some pictures??  Did you buy the cherry one?

Dave
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 11:48:03 PM »
  Wayne pretty soon Jim will be drilling the lock bolts too....! I only have one quirk about the smr . I just don't like cast steel parts...yep I'm weird... Jim's kits are truly an exceptional product...an now he's making locks...oh. my..!
Oldtravler

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 01:31:49 AM »

Dave
I’ll get some pictures posted after it’s finished. I got the plain maple with the wood patchbox cover.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 01:54:46 AM »
That would have been my choice,in 58 cal. Good pick Stoner ;D

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 06:25:07 PM »
Thanks for the great feedback.  Satisfied customers are the heart of our business.  It's a win-win situation.  Thanks to everyone for all the support.

Oh, all kits with our new locks will have lock bolts drilled.  We've already shipped a good number this way.  This seems to work quite well.

All the best,
Jim

Offline Dave Marsh

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 07:44:28 PM »

Dave
I’ll get some pictures posted after it’s finished. I got the plain maple with the wood patchbox cover.

Great, I saw the cherry one on sale and by the time I noticed it and got a hold of them it was gone.  All my guns are maple and I thought a cherry one would be nice.  Luckily it was sold so I don't have to explain another Colonial to my wife.  Phew!!!!!   ::)

Dave
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline kentuckyrifleman

• Central KY
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2019, 05:21:19 PM »
Looking forward to seeing this one!

Offline ibogle

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2019, 09:02:29 PM »

Just recently picked up the Kibler Colonial kit in 54 caliber.  I am no where near the caliber of some of the builders I've seen here but I will say that this was a very easy project.  I put together a Golden Age Arms kit 25 years ago, ahh pre-internet days.  I was well out of my skill set on that kit but I got it together and have successfully taken deer. 

For my 2nd 25th birthday I decided I wanted to treat myself so I started searching around looking at several companies and decided to go with the Kibler kit.  Liked the way it looked, had some trepidation regarding the final fit (remembering my first kit) but once the kit arrived I was elated to find that all the hard (for me) work was done and final fit and finish was as easy as could be.

Chickened out on any carving and accouterments for now.  Browned the barrel, lock  and tarnished the brass.  Pie plate accuracy at 50 yards for the first round of load development; just in time for late flintlock season in PA.

The pictures aren't great and the finish is a little wet in the picture.

PS my first kit arrived with a damaged stock (cracked forearm)- sad for me.  Shipping of the kit from Kibler was outstanding.  As secure as things can get, wooden box, barrel completely secured, wood completely secured and components safely tucked away.

smokepole45cal

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2019, 01:57:21 AM »
Thats good to know SC. Im not a kit guy either but maybe I could consider should a friend or family member like one.

I do wonder why there are classes being offered considering the ease of assembly?

Offline Terry Reynolds

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2019, 05:52:43 PM »
Good looking rifle. A Kibler kit is on my "to list". What stain did you use?
aka “digger658”

Offline DBoone

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2019, 06:06:24 PM »
I'm not a "kit" kind of builder either but I have assembled and finished one of the Colonial kits for a customer.   It went together so easy and I finished it so quickly that I almost felt guilty for charging the customer!

I will have to say that Jim has done an excellent job with this endeavor and may truly have changed, at least in part, the direction for many gunmakers in the future.

Some day we may hear someone say.............."Hey, there's actually a really old man way back in the hills of SC that still builds them by hand from a board, raw materials and hand tools!!"

Kudos to Jim Kibler!

Offline mony

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2019, 03:13:42 AM »
Yep. He’s a game changer. Good for us and good for him.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2019, 04:38:02 AM »
Nice looking rifle.  Thanks guys.  We’ve been around for only three or four years and are just getting started!  Lots more stuff to come.

Jim

Offline Mick C

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2019, 08:21:51 PM »
2 1/2 hours!!?? WOW!   Is there hope for someone like me who has never done any metalwork (i.e. drilling and tapping)?  I would hate to buy one and mess it up.
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2019, 08:41:10 PM »
I do wonder why there are classes being offered considering the ease of assembly?

I've seen one of the kits, and how amazing well the parts fit together.
Seems to me that taking a class on how to assemble one would be like taking a class on how to snap together Leggo blocks!
John Robbins

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2019, 10:32:28 PM »
Classes work well for some people.  Those with little experience often find a class to be reassuring.  Even though these kits are well along, having a good instructor for guidance likely helps in the final outcome.  Sometimes students choose to add carving and perhaps engraving as well.  Having a good instructor is a real benefit in these cases.  I've also had students make patch boxes and add them to rifles.  I think it's safe to say that most who attend feel  satisfied with the classes.

Jim