Author Topic: sighting in .54 hunting rifle  (Read 1481 times)

Offline StevenV

sighting in .54 hunting rifle
« on: December 01, 2019, 11:20:55 PM »
This post is for you to add to your shooting knowledge base. I am making a .54 cal. hunting  rifle for my nephew, iron mounted. I couldn't talk him into brass. First shots , Friday November 29, 50 yds. off the bench resting at the end of the barrel. Worked like a charm. Windage was on from the git go didn't have to tap sights for this. We used wind flags.

We are aiming for a 6'oclock hold on the black circle. Red circle about 5 shots into it, blue(removed some more front sight)yellow (filed front sight down some more)purple a bit more off front sight and the wind had changed from the west (left) to the right out of the east. We found that a .01" off the front sight equals 1" rise in shot placement at 50 yards. Then we went offhand. Take note , bench and offhand are not always the same impact down range. This target shows exactly that.

The red (aiming for the X) the Blue (aiming for the Top of the black circle). Filed some more off the front sight about .020" then shot again. The purple aiming for the X again.
Particulars: .54 cal. Colerain barrel, 38" I cut to 37"
used .530 ball self cast ( spur up)
.022 Teflon coated pillow ticking
wipe between each shot (every time all the time!) with blacksolve and water
80grains 2F Swiss
chambers large Seiler lock
white lightening touch hole liner
breech plug Face coned ( line up center of pan with face of plug)
What did we learn:
surprised that 80 grains of 2F grouped as well as it did, found that every barrel is it's own barrel. You will find that each barrel takes a  certain charge for the tightest group. This is similar but not the same for same calibers and same barrel makers. If I continued to shoot I am sure more powder will open the group up and if I continued it will come back together. My 40 cal. will shoot 40 or 60 grains. Both give a very tight group, in between and on either end not so tight a group.
I already knew that the white lightening touch hole liner is the fastest , but with a coned face even faster ignition yet.  Steve

Offline Daryl

Re: sighting in .54 hunting rifle
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 05:57:13 AM »
Looks like you have a decent load. I was shooting 85gr. 2F in the .50 flinter as a starting/likely stopping place.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline RichG

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 08:53:54 AM »
if you rest the gun(resting in your hand) where you hold it when shooting off-hand, your more likely to have resting and off-hand shoot to the same place.

Offline StevenV

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 05:46:08 PM »
Good point Rich , now that you say that I remember hearing that. Next time we shoot in a gun I will give that a try. Steve

Offline wolf

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 03:06:35 AM »
very nice! I shoot 80-85gr. of ol eynsford 2F in my 62 jaeger with a Colerain barrel, it is a tack driver. that Colerain barrel is hard to beat,,,,,,,,,,
I have never "harvested" a critter but I have killed quite a few,,,,,,,,,,,