Author Topic: OldMtnMan  (Read 4186 times)

Offline Mike from OK

OldMtnMan
« on: December 02, 2019, 01:37:47 AM »
Anybody seen or talked to Pete lately? His profile says he was last active Nov. 19.

Mike

Offline msellers

Re: OldMtnMan
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 02:23:38 AM »
I haven't, one of the other forums I am on he hasn't been there since the 7th. Hope he is alright, seem to remember him saying he was going to be backing out of the forums some. But this seems unlike him to me as well.
Mike

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 04:15:21 AM »
Is there a hunting season going on in Colorado right now?

Mike

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 05:41:16 AM »
I've been wondering about his as well. He did note some health concerns and not seeing a Dr. for them.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline J Henry

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 06:48:44 AM »
I believe he was on one other site I'am on and mtmike went under awhile back.

Offline shifty

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 04:16:35 PM »
  Maybe just taking a break from here for a while as i do,he has not answered my pm .

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2019, 04:11:50 AM »
Still no news?

:-\

Mike

Offline shifty

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2020, 06:29:18 PM »
  Does anyone know his name?  He and i talked a lot of Colorado as i used to live there but i never knew his name.
  If you do would you send me a PM.

Offline msellers

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2020, 06:59:13 PM »
  Does anyone know his name?  He and i talked a lot of Colorado as i used to live there but i never knew his name.
  If you do would you send me a PM.
His name is Pete, never heard his last name given. He is from CO, somewhere along the Arkansas river. Can't recall more at present.
Mike

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2020, 07:44:41 PM »
Buena Vista, Co is where he lives.  Might do a google search if you know his Name..
iloco

Offline msellers

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2020, 08:08:30 PM »
Just messaged him on another forum. He is still plugging along, slowly starting to post again. He feels bad not posting over here, but has had to start hunting with an unmentionable muzzleloader. Due to his eyesight and weight limits.

I made sure to pass along you guys sentiments, hopefully ge will cone say gi again soon.
Mike

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2020, 09:25:21 PM »
Just messaged him on another forum. He is still plugging along, slowly starting to post again. He feels bad not posting over here, but has had to start hunting with an unmentionable muzzleloader. Due to his eyesight and weight limits.

I made sure to pass along you guys sentiments, hopefully ge will cone say gi again soon.
Mike

Thanks Mike. Glad to know he's still with us.

Mike

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2020, 09:31:02 PM »
Yea, Mike, thanks. I’m glad to know another ol mountain Man hasn’t moved on...

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2020, 09:50:19 PM »
Well, i'm touched by this thread. I wasn't aware I had so many friends.

As Mike said. I'm plugging along and looking forward to deer hunting next fall. Bear and elk have become too much for me, so deer will be it from now on.

I felt bad about posting here while owning a modern muzzleloader. I've only taken 3 shots with it and hate it. I'm working on a deal now to get another Hawken style gun. I can't see iron sights for beans now but I can make them work if I can sneak in close enough. If I can't i'll have fun trying anyway. Hunting is way more than killing.

Thanks again, guys.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2020, 10:50:19 PM »
Don’t be ashamed of a modern muzzleloader. I own one too. I’ve only shot it once or twice and have it on the farm just for those fellers who swing by who would be more comfortable with it in the deer stand. I can tell you old Dan’l Boone would’ve taken an unmentionable in his last days, just to get another hunt under his belt. Keep charging on. God loves us if the Indians are right. ‘Happy Hunting Ground’ sounds just right to me....

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2020, 11:08:23 PM »
"Welcome Home" Pete.  ;D  :)

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2020, 11:23:23 PM »
Old Man, think long barrel 50 cal 7/8" so you can get the sights further from your eyes.  Set yourself up for a close shot and wait.  I'm more and more in the same boat. 
Mike Lee

Offline Daryl

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2020, 11:48:01 PM »

As Mike said. I'm plugging along and looking forward to deer hunting next fall. Bear and elk have become too much for me, so deer will be it from now on.

I felt bad about posting here while owning a modern muzzleloader. I've only taken 3 shots with it and hate it. I'm working on a deal now to get another Hawken style gun. I can't see iron sights for beans now but I can make them work if I can sneak in close enough. If I can't i'll have fun trying anyway. Hunting is way more than killing.

Thanks again, guys.

I'm glad you are OK, Pete. I-too have had to reduce my hunt-able game to deer.  Now, the problem seems to be getting around to it.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2020, 03:40:16 AM »

Thanks again, guys.

I don't care what ya shoot Pete... You're always welcome at my fire. Don't be a stranger!

Mike

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2020, 04:45:33 AM »
It's good to hear from you Pete. Its time you came back.
Awhile back you were considering a peep sight like I made for my rifles. Do you think one would help? I know mine really cleared things up for me.
As far as the modern rifle sometimes you just have to do what you have to, to stay in the game.

Darkhorse
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2020, 05:39:27 AM »
A peep helps a little bit. My problem is my vision is blurry up close and at every distance. So, even looking through the peep, the front sight and target are still blurry.

The only way I can see a clear target and sight is to use a scope. I refuse to put a scope on any sidelock. So, my only option left was a modern muzzy. Not my first choice but for the sake of the game. It's the only way I can take a humane shot now. I should probably stay with it. I couldn't handle wounding an animal.

I love Longrifles and Hawkens but the time has come to retire them. I'm not quite ready to retire from hunting.

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2020, 06:05:42 AM »
I think your being a little hard on yourself. I soldered a 1/8 steel plate drilled and tapped for a pistol scope on a half stock 32 flint. I enjoyed the heck out of shooting that rifle. When I was done working up a load ( and done playing around ) I heated up the plate, took it off, cleaned up the barrel and browned it. You can't tell it was ever there. That was the first time I could see what I was doing for a long time,and it was fun. I might just build me another one in 45 cal.

Offline alacran

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2020, 03:26:45 PM »
Glad that you haven't gone under.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline stikshooter

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2020, 03:54:45 PM »
A peep helps a little bit. My problem is my vision is blurry up close and at every distance. So, even looking through the peep, the front sight and target are still blurry.

The only way I can see a clear target and sight is to use a scope. I refuse to put a scope on any sidelock. So, my only option left was a modern muzzy. Not my first choice but for the sake of the game. It's the only way I can take a humane shot now. I should probably stay with it. I couldn't handle wounding an animal.

I love Longrifles and Hawkens but the time has come to retire them. I'm not quite ready to retire from hunting.
Some of my Hawkens wear scopes as I"m not much on inlines and I already own a bunch of side locks . Not gonna get rid of lots of guns with history (MINE) as I like hunting and killing //eating ,and hunting guns with out scopes would end humane kills and hunting. Guess I"ll quit when I cant  move/Ed

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2020, 05:49:20 PM »
Old Man, think long barrel 50 cal 7/8" so you can get the sights further from your eyes.  Set yourself up for a close shot and wait.  I'm more and more in the same boat.

That would help. The problem is i'm trying to survive on an SS check and can't afford a gun like that.

The second problem is I have Osteoporosis and brake bones easy. I've broken my back 7 times in the last 9 years. I did it once by just shouldering my old GPR. That's another advantage of the modern muzzleloader. It only weighs 6 1/4lbs and with a 24" barrel it's easy on my back. Getting the meat out should be a challenge too.

I hate having to do what i'm doing now but it sure beats staying home during hunting seasons.