Author Topic: Engraveing Black  (Read 1272 times)

old dog

Engraveing Black
« on: August 09, 2020, 07:33:36 AM »
I have always been of the opinion that the black in the engraving in the old guns was from black powder residue and handling.  I am about to find out the facts.  What do you contemporary builders and engravers use.  I have John Schipper's book, but I don't see any reference to it.
A fantastic book.
Old Dog
Scottsdale, Az.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
Re: Engraveing Black
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 07:44:02 AM »
Flat black Rustoleum oil base paint in a pint can.  Apply with a q-tip or brush and wipe it off with a finger or thumb.  A pint will last a lifetime if that is all you use it for!

Curtis

Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 06:46:42 PM »
I used to leave engraving cuts bright, but now, I prefer the dark side.  So I fill engraving with Birchwood Casey's Super Blue...cold bluing solution.  Appply with a soft art brush, when dry, polish gently with a hard rubber blocker and 600 grit abrasive.

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

old dog

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 07:01:41 PM »
Both beautiful works of engraving.  I believe I like the more subtle look.  Hope to be able to engrave to a level where I won't be embarrassed to highlight it in some manner.  Does anyone use lamp black or carbon of any sort?
Thanks Gentlemmen

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 08:42:24 PM »
I use a black sharpie marker, find them at work by the handful

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2020, 09:26:47 PM »
What Taylor said !
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780