Author Topic: Another Kibler Colonial..... Some final comments on Jim's kit.....  (Read 23280 times)

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Re: Another Kibler Colonial..... Finishing the Barrel
« Reply #125 on: July 28, 2020, 07:20:27 PM »
While the finish is going on the stock, I took the time to finish the barrel.  I have come to like a "not just brown...kinda bronze-like" finish on the barrel that I have used on several other guns.  A lighter brown than a deep plumb with touches of blue and bronze, the barrel color is not perfectly even when you look at it up close.....and I like the very slightly variegated colors.  Just personal preference but the barrel has a "used but very well cared for" look about it.  I'm not a big fan of artificial patina but something just a slight step back from a "show room new" appearance does appeal to me.  Anyway, here is how the barrel came out.......

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Daryl

« Reply #126 on: July 28, 2020, 10:13:31 PM »
Gotta love that crown. That's quite a tool you made, Dave. :)
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #127 on: July 29, 2020, 05:58:32 PM »
Quite a nice design that you have stamped into the breech end of the barrel.

I like the color also, Dave, but after I get moved I am going to set up for nitre bluing outside the workshop.  Only plan on doing small parts till I see how it does, may set up for barrels after a year or so.

The barrels are worrisome to me.  You can't block off the inside of it for fear of a blow-out.  The temperature is between 750 and 800 degrees, creating a lot of pressure on any hollowed out areas.  Not real sure how to protect the rifling from also being blued.

My previous setup was for small revolver parts.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline rudyc

« Reply #128 on: July 29, 2020, 10:45:40 PM »
Sooo David----
It really is "Rocket Science"???

"that was probably me.  Over many years I have done and helped many students with amateur rocket projects that have been posted on YouTube.  In addition, I have worked professionally as a propulsion engineer since leaving active duty in the Navy in 1981.  I run a test facility out in the Mojave Desert and do rocket testing for many of the larger aerospace companies.  My crew and I did all of the development and qualification testing for the 44,000 pound thrust Launch Abort Engine for the new Boeing Starliner space craft.  Here is a short video.....I'm the guy in the Indiana Jones hat......"
"It's a good day for something"

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #129 on: July 30, 2020, 06:00:48 PM »
Daryl,

Thanks.....the crown is a little heavier than the ones you have shown, but it seems to work great.  I made a drawing die quite some time ago to make brass, copper, and / or silver tubes from sheet.  I used the same type of radius on the muzzle radius cutter.

Craig,

I don't think niter bluing the rifling would hurt it any.  Not the same as rust browning or bluing.

Rudyc,

When my daughters were teenagers (and, of course, knew EVERYTHING) and thought something I said was ridiculous, they would often mutter to themselves as the conversation was concluding that "you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure that out, Dad".  Now that they are past 30, I think they understand that with respect to a lot of things in life, rocket science would be the easy part.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Daryl

« Reply #130 on: July 30, 2020, 07:13:26 PM »
Daryl,

Thanks.....the crown is a little heavier than the ones you have shown, but it seems to work great.  I made a drawing die quite some time ago to make brass, copper, and / or silver tubes from sheet.  I used the same type of radius on the muzzle radius cutter.

Craig,

I don't think niter bluing the rifling would hurt it any.  Not the same as rust browning or bluing.

Rudyc,

When my daughters were teenagers (and, of course, knew EVERYTHING) and thought something I said was ridiculous, they would often mutter to themselves as the conversation was concluding that "you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure that out, Dad".  Now that they are past 30, I think they understand that with respect to a lot of things in life, rocket science would be the easy part.

That radiused angle is what Corbin described in his literature about drawing dies/moving metal. With really tight loads, that is what we are doing when loading. We are forming/swaging the bullet into the bore with the patch between it and the bore.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Re: Another Kibler Colonial..... Stock Finish...Bone Black Experiments
« Reply #131 on: July 31, 2020, 07:00:27 PM »
Not had much chance to finish up this rifle but have put a few coats of finish on the stock and have been experimenting with Jim's method of applying bone black.  Here is where I am thus far.  More work to do but going slow......since I have no idea what I'm doing just yet  :o  Stock needs some rubbing back and a few more top coats.....and perhaps another go around with bone black......not sure how it's supposed to look........ ???

Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline canadianml1

« Reply #132 on: July 31, 2020, 07:41:25 PM »
Just finishing my Kibler smr. Used brass black on the barrel and Truoil for the stock. It is an amazing kit. Everything fit so easily. A lot of folks who don't want to spend all winter putting together a 'parts list' kit can easily finish one a of Jim's kits in 15 hours flat. The skill level required for assembly of the basic kit will allow those who have not done any machine shop or wood working to succeed. Should help to bring new people into the hobby!!!

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #133 on: July 31, 2020, 09:33:04 PM »
Dave, you've done a fantastic job on the whole long rifle!  The carving, engraving, etc., is quite impeccable.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #134 on: August 01, 2020, 05:32:08 AM »
What Craig said..., really nice, Dave!!!

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline alex e.

« Reply #135 on: August 01, 2020, 06:08:01 AM »
Carving and finish to aspire to.
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #136 on: August 02, 2020, 02:36:23 AM »
Stock is turning in the hot summer sun on my "stock rotisserie".  The UV really sets up the polymerized tung oil quickly.  While the stock was curing, I hardened all of the screw heads, the trigger, and re-hardened the frizzen.  Made a ramrod tip and partially antiqued the brass parts.  Should be ready to assemble in another couple of days.

Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #137 on: August 02, 2020, 04:43:04 PM »
That looks nice with the finish on.  I am looking forward to seeing it all assembled.  Someone is getting an art display for sure.  Art that can go out for woods outings.   :-)   God Bless,   Marc

Offline Metequa

« Reply #138 on: August 02, 2020, 07:10:13 PM »
Really fine example of just how much individual perspective can change the final rifle on one of Jim's kits, beautiful gun sir!

Offline wolf

« Reply #139 on: August 02, 2020, 08:42:40 PM »
man that is some nice work,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I have never "harvested" a critter but I have killed quite a few,,,,,,,,,,,

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Re: Another Kibler Colonial..... DONE !!!!
« Reply #140 on: August 05, 2020, 04:24:14 AM »
Well......I think I'm done anyway.  I can't think of anything else I want or need to do.  I made some carving and engraving choices I like on this one..... and others that I'm not wild about.  Live and learn, but I think it came out good enough.  Anyway, here are a bunch of pictures.  When I have a little more time to write, I will make some final comments on building up this rifle from one of Jim's excellent kits. 

Before you proceed, be advised that I am a lousy gun photographer and I have no place to really control lighting, etc.  These photos do not show the color and grain of the stock wood very well so I took the last three photos in bright sunlight.  There is a lot of glare but the wood and color show better......

« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 06:57:51 AM by davec2 »
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline hawkeye

« Reply #141 on: August 05, 2020, 04:52:04 PM »
Oh lord, that's a awesome very attractive gun

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #142 on: August 05, 2020, 05:11:15 PM »
   Beautiful rifle...gives a new meaning to a " kit gun " you have done a amazing job on your rifle... Like WOW..  Oldtravler

Offline EC121

« Reply #143 on: August 05, 2020, 05:17:08 PM »
Amazing work!!   While it is totally irrelevant in this project, what caliber did you get?  I tried to look at all 6 pages, but I didn't see a bore size mentioned.
Brice Stultz

Offline wolf

« Reply #144 on: August 05, 2020, 05:18:26 PM »
wow! super nice work. i am sure Jim will want to add that to the photos on his web site, what did you age the brass with?,,,,,,,,,,,
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 05:31:20 PM by wolf »

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #145 on: August 05, 2020, 06:07:04 PM »
Dave, that is just outstanding work!!  Very well thought out and executed designs.  Beautiful gun!!

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #146 on: August 06, 2020, 07:03:22 AM »
Thank you for the kind words. EC121, the bore is .50.  Wolf, the brass was aged with a product called House of Antiques Brass ......something or other...... I will find a link and get back to you. I used it to turn the brass very dark and then lightened it up some with the grey Scotchbrite.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 11:17:52 AM by davec2 »
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline wolf

« Reply #148 on: August 06, 2020, 01:48:44 PM »
thank you Dave,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Offline heinz

« Reply #149 on: August 07, 2020, 05:19:22 PM »
Great work!  You matched the grain on the patchbox lid to the stock?!  Awesome.
The engraving is extraordinary.
kind regards, heinz