Author Topic: Detail Carving tool Tutorial  (Read 1669 times)

Offline Ron Scott

Detail Carving tool Tutorial
« on: December 05, 2019, 04:40:47 AM »
The concept for this tool is derived from a Japanese tool called Yari-gannas
Yari-gannas (Spear planes) are Japanese ancient planes which were used pre "dai-gannas (modern planes with wooden blocks.)" Yari-gannas were used after Chounas (J style adzes) to further refine the flatness of the surfaces. I have reduced the size ( cutting base is 10mm long by 4mm at the widest section) to fit small detail work on relief rifle carving.

Here is a brief outline of the way I use this background detail tool.  In #1, I have stabbed two conversing arcs and roughed some of the background away. #2 show the tool in context to the area being relieved. I use the tool in a sweeping motion, as  it best  fits the area. The critical element is keeping the base of the tool as flat as possible. #3 is a close up of the background cut away.    When flat on the work surface, the handle and hand have clearance of the carving. 

Sharpening
 #4 is the flat base of the tool, this needs to be kept very flat. Do not change the base if at all possible.
 #5 illustrates the two upper surfaces of the tool. When sharpening I blacken with a felt tip marker
 #6 I am moving one of the two upper surfaces of the tool against a stone
 #7 The face on the right side is now clean from the sharpening. By using marker on the surfaces, I can gauge the angle of the stone against the surface.

Should you have challenges sharpening or need the angles re-established, I will do that for you free  if you pay the postage.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 05:41:39 PM by Ron Scott »

Offline BillF/TRF

Re: Detail Carving tool Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 06:20:47 AM »
Interesting concept.  If I understand it, you are grinding the top two surfaces to put an edge on the flat bottom surface?  Your tool has little resemblance to any of my chisels, gouges or knives.  With my chisels and gouges, I use a 23° wood wedge and set my gouge on that wedge and try to consistently maintain that angle while sharpening by frequent checking and eventually  just "muscle memory".  Why couldn't you just grind the bottom surface using some kind of guide to keep the same angle?

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 06:33:19 AM »
Ron, that is a pretty neat little tool!
So, by keeping the bottom flat, and making the sharpness all on the top, you are able to keep the flat surface on the wood, and basically shaving the wood away, right?  Is the upper part of the graver bent to allow clearance for your knuckles?
Meant to get one while they were posted, but they went too quick!  The handles that you make are kinda neat also.  I'll get one in the near future.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 05:27:08 PM »
I added some more background description on the tutorial that may help convey the nature of the shape and function. Additional tools are available now.

Offline GANGGREEN

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2019, 01:51:36 PM »
Very cool, thanks for the explanation and photos Ron.