Author Topic: Neodymium magnet flintlock cleaning aid  (Read 1958 times)

Offline R.J.Bruce

Neodymium magnet flintlock cleaning aid
« on: December 05, 2019, 05:59:37 PM »
Well over a year ago, someone here posted that they had tapped the hole in a neodymium magnet for a fitting that would take a piece of, if I remember correctly, 1/4" plastic tubing.

The magnet was strong enough to stay fixed in place over the touch hole while pumping vigorously up and down the barrel with a tightly fitting cleaning patch.

Several others said that they liked the idea enough that they were going to duplicate it.

My question is how well did the system work out over the long haul with over a years use under your belts?

Also, where did you purchase the magnets? And, what type of tap/ fitting did you use?

Thanks,
              R.J.Bruce
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 12:08:07 AM by R.J.Bruce »

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
Re: Neodymium magnet flintlock cleaning aid
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 06:25:35 PM »
I bought those magnets off ebay.  I got the size that might be used as a peep sight. 

Have no plans to mount tubing. Mine cleans up fine without such apparatus.

But after a moment of thought, with the beveled hole as these have, I'd think a bit of brass or copper tubing could be flared to fit in that bevel. Then epoxied to be water tight.  Slip your tubing over the other end of the brass or copper bit.   

JB Weld anyone?  ;D
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 06:37:08 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 11:51:36 AM »
R.J.Bruce

You may be referring to my post.  The gizmo works great for me and if you read through the thread (near the end of the second page) I listed all the parts and where to get them.  If the pictures don't show up in the thread, just click on them and they pop up in a separate window....for some reason...??

Here is the original thread     https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=45793.0

« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 12:08:05 PM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 03:40:02 PM »
Ongoing problem with old URL's I just updated so they could display.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Gordy

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 06:29:42 PM »
I purchased my magnets through
K & J Magnetics.com. They have Ring magnets (already have the thru hole in them). And they are the rare earth type or the neo type. The part #R828 is a 1/2 inch diameter, by 1/2 inch thick and has a 1/8 inch thru hole. It has 13.8 pounds lifting ability. So I went to the hardware and purchased a brass hose barb fitting that has pipe thread on one end. Drilled out on the pipe thread end to fit my cylindrical magnet and epoxied the magnet to the fitting. Then simply glued a gasket on the face of the magnet and attached a piece of tubing to the barb and on the other end of the tubing I attached a weight on the tubing to keep it in my bucket if water.
Pretty simple easy way to clean your rifle. I usually plug the touch hole with a tooth pick and put some water down the bore and let it soak for 10 minutes or so before I attach my magnet and start swabbing out the barrel. These magnets cost like 3 bucks.
Good day, Gordy

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 07:37:22 PM »
, I didnt see it in your original post or this new one but did you tap the magnets for the fitting threads or glue them in or what?

Offline LynnC

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2019, 08:03:37 PM »
I like this gizmo. I’ll have to make one. Thanks DaveC2 !
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2019, 08:10:17 PM »
Smiley,

The magnets I used are very hard and brittle, is I did not try to tap them.  As I show in the photos, I made up a simple brass housing that I glued the magnet into.  The brass housing has the hose attachment......

From the original post:

The 1/8 " pipe female ended hose barb fitting gets turned down to a 1/2" OD on the hex so it will fit inside a short length of the brass tubing and soldered into place.  The magnet is then glued into the brass tube with CA (Super) glue.  I used a piece of silicone tape as a gasket between the magnet and the barrel side but you can use several different materials.....just keep the gasket as thin as possible so as not to reduce the pull of the magnet.

There are several different ways to do this.  I have just described how the one I posted was done.  The thin wall brass tubing is also available as some hobby stores.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2019, 09:31:08 PM »
OK Dave, thanks for that and for sharing the tip. This should work good when out at the range where I don,t have my usual cleaning set up.

Offline R.J.Bruce

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2019, 12:06:45 AM »
When I tried searching for the original post I could not find it, thus this thread.

Thanks for the responses.

I guess the way my mind works, I sometimes find what I'm looking for with the ALR search function, and other times, such as with this magnet cleaning aid, I come up empty.

R.J.Bruce