Author Topic: Tell me about this bag.  (Read 1399 times)

Offline backwoodsdave

• Starting Member
Tell me about this bag.
« on: December 05, 2019, 07:02:50 PM »
This bag came with a trade gun I just picked up, it was more or less just thrown into the deal, I was was actually more interested in the stuff inside the bag and the horns that came with it, any idea what style if any this would fall into or is it just a fantasy piece that doesn’t fit any particular period etc, I thought it was sort of unique because of the oak strips on the inside that shape the bag and hold it open, you can see the tacks on the end of the bag, any and all input is appreciated.

Stickburner

Re: Tell me about this bag.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 10:59:27 PM »
 That outfit looks like it might could be traced back to the Tandyho Tribe.  The punched and laced seams are one of their traits. ;)

Richard

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 07:18:17 PM »
 I think you will find, that your gear will expand to fill the shooting bag. So with a bag that size you will no doubt have enough tools, and gizmos to rebuild your truck along side of the road, with plenty of room left over for a good size lunch. Smaller is better, it helps you resist throwing stuff in the bag “just in case”. Believe me on  a long woods walk, or on a trec , you will be done long before the end of the event. I have one about that size a good friend made for me. I noticed I shot much better on events I shot without my shooting bag on. Turns out it was just wearing me out. Besides a big bag is always in the way. A small bag worn up on your side above your waste is much better.

Hungry Horse

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 09:20:03 AM »
Had a good chuckle about "wearing it above  your WASTE".  I certainly would hope so as I wouldn't want my bag covered by WASTE which is why I like to wear mine above my waist.  Isn't spell check marvelous?

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 02:23:45 PM »
You can do a lot with this bag.  Re-purposing and cobbling is sometimes very pleasurable, AND, as a stand alone, unchanged, you'll have some fun with it.

What's the oval patch on the middle of the flap?

Lastly, you might want to examine the bag closely enough to get some rejuvenater on it.

Offline backwoodsdave

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2019, 05:29:26 PM »
You can do a lot with this bag.  Re-purposing and cobbling is sometimes very pleasurable, AND, as a stand alone, unchanged, you'll have some fun with it.

What's the oval patch on the middle of the flap?

Lastly, you might want to examine the bag closely enough to get some rejuvenater on it.
It appears there was an oval shaped patch or medallion or something glued to the flap at one time, I’ll get some use out of the horns, patch knives etc that were in the bag but I’ll probably just hang it in the man shack for a conversation piece for now, maybe come up with an interesting story to go with it for the grandkids lol .

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2019, 06:47:25 PM »
I think you will find, that your gear will expand to fill the shooting bag. So with a bag that size you will no doubt have enough tools, and gizmos to rebuild your truck along side of the road, with plenty of room left over for a good size lunch. Smaller is better, it helps you resist throwing stuff in the bag “just in case”. Believe me on  a long woods walk, or on a trec , you will be done long before the end of the event. I have one about that size a good friend made for me. I noticed I shot much better on events I shot without my shooting bag on. Turns out it was just wearing me out. Besides a big bag is always in the way. A small bag worn up on your side above your waste is much better.

Hungry Horse

Agreed. I've worked up a "system" that helps me carry less in the bag. My time is limited and my hunting/shooting spot is not on my property... So I might end up needing all the "kitchen sink" accessories and don't want to have to drive all the way back to my house.

I use those cheap plastic ammo cans from Wally World. Everything NOT needed for basic operation of the gun goes in one. So when I gear up to head out to hunt/shoot I grab the horn/bag for the gun that I plan to shoot and the ammo can for that gun. Gun/bag/horn go afield with me... All the "kitchen sink" stuff stays in the ammo can in the car.

A lot of the "kitchen sink" gear is fairly universal and can be carried in one can... But it's also dirt cheap. So stocking a can with everything needed for that specific gun isn't that much more expense. 

Mike