Author Topic: Question: Early vs. current production R E Davis Germanic Jaeger Flintlock Locks  (Read 960 times)

Offline Kevin

Greetings All,

Regarding the lock listed in the subject line:  I came into an "early production" lock as well as a just-as-old pre-inlet stock cut for it.

Has anyone ever "upgraded" a rifle to the newer production version which, per the Track of the Wolf website, includes having the "big mainspring flexes over its entire length, an improvement over earliest production."  If so, would a stock already inlet for the early production lock accept, with possible minor inletting adjustments, the newer version?

At the 2019 Dixon's Gunmakers' Fair I spoke with Tim, then of R E Davis, about this and I recall that the lockplate is the same size/shape but the position of some of the internals in a bit different.

If anyone has already investigated this idea/option I would really value your thoughts and insights.

Many Thanks,
Kevin

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
I didn't know they had "upgraded" the lock (it needs it), other than adding the optional heavier cock.  The mainspring always had WAY too much preload on it, as it hung down like an inch below the plate when unsprung, and was already bending backwards at half cock.  I would always close the spring up to where it should be and rehardened and tempered it.

That lockplate is the most deserving candidate for upgrading... it has got way too much banana and downturn at the tail.  It just ain't right.

I can't imagine any upgrade parts being THAT much different where it would require much more than a little extra inlet work.  Shouldn't be a big deal to fit it to an old stock.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Kevin

Stophel,

Thank you for your thoughts & insights.

Much Appreciated,
Kevin