Author Topic: Braided Rope  (Read 1639 times)

Offline Elnathan

Braided Rope
« on: December 07, 2019, 07:35:05 PM »
This is kind of a stretch to include in the "accouterments" category, but probably not more than some other things we get here from time to time, so I hope the moderators won't object.

A couple months ago I made a rope, Indian fashion, thus:

P1010002" border="0

It is made from 170 pound hemp twine, braided in an eight-strand box braid, and is about 1/2" square when not under tension. I cut the cords at about 30', which came out to around 24' finished length. Hopefully the braid pattern is clear enough in the closeup:

P1010005" border="0

Initially I was intending on making it into a ceremonial prisoner tie, with wrapped quillwork and tinkler cones on the end, something like the one described and (poorly) illustrated here: https://www.heinzhistorycenter.org/blog/fort-pitt-museum/bound-by-tradition-prisoner-restraints-in-the-captive-experience.

I decided to leave it plain, though, at least for now, as it occurred to me that I am unlikely to really need a ceremonial rope for tying up my enemies anytime soon and in the meantime the decorations would preclude me using the rope for any practical purpose. I am also fairly confident that the Eastern Woodlands people occasionally made plain ropes for more mundane purposes, like tying up horses. As a matter of fact, the Native words for prisoner halters/collars were also used to designate horse tack once they were introduced to the beasties, so it is clear there was a conceptual link between the two functions. For now I've just whipped the ends with a bit of lighter weight twine to keep them from unraveling - there is a rope from the Museum of Natural History, anthropology division, that appears to use the same braid techniques but is evidently braided back unto itself like a backsplice to finish off the ends. I like the look, but have no idea how to do it without risking unraveling the whole thing in the process. I'll need to make up a short piece of rope that I can rebraid as necessary to experiment with, I guess.

I have a bunch of cord left over from this and an earlier tumpline project, and was thinking about making a couple more ropes and putting them up for sale if there is sufficient interest in this kind of thing.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 07:38:35 PM by Elnathan »
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Braided Rope
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 09:14:05 PM »
Having no idea how to braid with four strands, I am mighty impressed with your rope.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 09:15:50 PM »
Further, your method of laying it up as a bundle is how all lines shuld be done.  Tug the bight out from under the double wrap, and throw the rope...it'll straighten out without a mess.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 09:30:33 PM »
I have many times back-spliced 3 and 4 strand line, but never eight.  I'll have to give that some thought.  Four strand starts with an overhand "knot" on opposing pairs, then using a fid to do the tucks.  Maybe you could try that.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline msellers

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 10:08:27 PM »
I don't have my copy handy, but seem to recall there being instructions for back braiding more strand in here. There are a whole slew of other books with many different instructions for braiding.
Mike
https://m.barnesandnoble.com/p/braiding-rawhide-horse-tack-robert-l-woolery/1000258930/2662663998643?st=PLA&sid=BNB_ADL+Marketplace+Good+Used+Books+-+Mobile+Low&sourceId=PLAGoNA&dpid=tdtve346c&2sid=Google_m&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxrrVx52k5gIVEKvsCh003gsNEAQYBiABEgJjq_D_BwE

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2019, 11:18:52 PM »
Very nicely done. Neat and even. Maybe when. You make your short piece to experiment with end splices, you, could get a pic while in progress?
Thanks for sharing.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 12:12:38 AM »
Very nicely done. We use rope at work for pulling wire through conduit... But about the most complicated braiding we do involves braiding a pulling eye in the end of a rope. I can do it but it always ends up looking like it was my first attempt.

Much respect for those skilled at working with rope.

Mike

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2019, 03:42:43 AM »
Very neat project!  The prisoner ropes I’ve read about were supposedly braided rawhide, which I’d imagine is incredibly tough (as is the hemp).  Fascinating!

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2019, 09:00:02 AM »
Beautiful.  I love braided work.  I have had this book since the 1960s.  Used copies are inexpensive and the book is very easy to follow.

https://www.amazon.com/Leather-Braiding-Published-1961-087033039X/dp/B01LDJ8G0M/ref=sr_1_7?crid=L748COQ4H52W&keywords=leather+braiding+by+bruce+grant&qid=1575784653&sprefix=leather+braiding%2Caps%2C195&sr=8-7
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2019, 03:19:16 PM »
Very nice work. Thanks for sharing it.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2019, 10:55:16 PM »
Thank you very much, gentlemen. I'll have to look for those books.

Taylor,
Interesting comment about the proper way of bundling the rope. I just did it that way because that is how the ropes illustrated on the Museum of Natural Science website were done up, and it looked like a practical and tidy way of storing it. Nice to know that it is the recommended method!

Brokennock,

I'll bear your request in mind, though I have no idea when I'll be able to do more in this area. If you are interested in how to do the basic braid, this video shows it better than any static pictures or description I've run across:   (It is a square braid, not round, despite the title.)

The hard part isn't the braid itself, which is pretty simple once you get the hang of it, but keeping everything front tangling catastrophically and/or losing track of which cords are supposed to be on which side. I ended up using a couple of twisty ties on one set of cords to keep from forgetting which ones went in which hand.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2019, 11:14:02 PM »
That is fascinating, and totally unexpected.  Very nice work indeed sir.  I am so glad you posted this.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2019, 08:00:17 AM »
Thanks you. I kind of remember it from Boy Scouts, but a good refresher is helpful. I never thought to apply it to a full size rope.

• Member 3
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2019, 07:56:51 PM »
A contractor friend of mine showed me this coiling system, and applied it to extension cords.  He insisted that his crew coil cords in this manner, saying he was not going to pay a worker to sit and figure out how to untangle an extension cord.
Lay the line out full length, then double the line except for about 3' of the end.  Then double it again, and again, until you have a manageable coil.  Seize the coil with two wraps of the tag end of the line, then wrap the third wrap around the coil over your finger, and do two more wraps.  Make a bight in the end and pass it between the coil and your finger, just as is illustrated in the rope picture above.
When you want to un-coil the line/cord, pull the tag end out of the coil, and throw the line out in front of you.  It will uncoil and lay perfectly straight without tangling.
D. Taylor Sapergia