Author Topic: Tip Curtis gun  (Read 2900 times)

Offline bowkill

Tip Curtis gun
« on: December 07, 2019, 09:53:05 PM »
Just traded for this kinda rare looking tip Curtis gun.. Bought allot of parts from tip but never had any of his guns. It's hot a Ed rayl 30 cal barrel with a ash stock. Tip stamped his name and year 2000.. Don't know why you would do that and not just scratch your name on bottom of barrel of something.. Never been shot but it will be. Forgot picture of back strap but post one later. Say a real ramrod breaker..

hazaaron khwaishein aisi mirza ghalib

μολὼν λαβέ (Come and take them)

Offline backwoodsdave

• Starting Member
Re: Tip Curtis gun
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 11:10:31 PM »
I’ve got two of Tips rifles and there both signed on the top of the barrel, that’s a good looking piece and I’d love to have one in that small caliber myself.

Offline bowkill

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 12:44:09 AM »
He did not engrave a signature was punched in?

Offline bowkill

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 12:55:38 AM »
Anybody seen him do it that way?

Offline backwoodsdave

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 01:14:29 AM »
On one of the visits I made to his shop I noticed some of his guns had the signature in my photo above and some were unmarked at all, I asked him about it and he said he sent barrels out in batches to have them engraved with his signature and some he built from barrels he had in stock that never got signed, this was 2013 or so, maybe back in 2000 he stamped them himself possibly, easiest way would be to call him up and ask I would imagine to know for sure.  615-654-4445

Offline bowkill

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 01:32:34 AM »
Will be going by there in may. Will stop in and ask him..

Offline backwoodsdave

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 01:39:50 AM »
I’d like to get back by there myself, I’d like to get one of his fowlers,  I wish there were more of those small caliber guns like yours around, I’d like to try one myself in .30 or smaller, would be interesting I’m sure.

Offline bowkill

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2019, 02:09:53 AM »
I usually stick with 40 or bigger.. but interested in how it will shoot. Need to find some balls or a mold..

Offline Levy

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2019, 04:07:14 AM »
You can buy .29 cal. shot from Ballistic Products and Larry Calahan makes a .29 cal. bag mold.  James Levy
James Levy

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2019, 05:25:23 AM »
Likely engraved by Smitty. They do a lot of business.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline Notchy Bob

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2019, 06:35:40 PM »
I'm not familiar with Tip Curtis' work, but this is a beautiful rifle.  The carved mouldings and the Siler lock may not be typical of traditional rifles with southern style architecture and mountings, but this piece appears very nicely constructed for all that.  It's a beauty!

Notchy Bob
"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us.  Should have rode horses.  Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Offline bowkill

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2019, 07:16:29 PM »
Guy told me was a 30 cal. But not had a chance to mike it yet.. I hope it's not and a 32 instead..

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2019, 10:57:23 PM »
That would be quite handy to be a .32 as Lee has DC moulds in .311" and .319". I used both in my .32, with equal results, on target and loading ease
with the same .022" patches.
The muzzle crown, difficult to see, is quite sharp cornered. With those smoothed out a bit, it will be very easy loading. The small bores seem to be that way.
Taylor thought the .32 he finished, was loading too easily with that combination.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2019, 12:10:37 AM »
I have seen a few Tip Curtis rifles, but of more recent vintage.  He does produce them in quantity for sale, and you can tie into one for 1400.00 to 1500.00 or so.  My friend has two, and they are solid, serviceable, and good shooters. 

That said, I have not seen one with any carving, and the finish is usually quite rudimentary.  I am going way out on a limb and guess that perhaps someone bought one, carved and finished it?  I think the one you have is the best finished one I have seen by far. 

In any event, a nice rifle that will serve you well.

God Bless,   Marc

Offline Eddie Southgate

• Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6 .
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2019, 12:31:14 AM »
I like it , very nice .
Grumpy Old Man With A gun ,,,,, Do Not Touch !