Author Topic: Longer Than Barrel? (Ramrods)  (Read 7381 times)

Offline Darkhorse

Re: Longer Than Barrel? (Ramrods)
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2019, 05:23:41 AM »
I remember seeing a photo of Sgt. York holding his SMR and the ramrod was sticking about 4 inches out of the barrel. This was a number of years ago and perhaps in the American Rifleman. It looked somehow "not quite right" to me. But it must have worked for him.
I make my ramrods to stick about 1/2" out of the barrels end and in all these years I've had no problems with this dimension. Years ago when I was just starting out I got several patches stuck down the bore. Those are the only times I ever needed a little extra length.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2019, 05:57:22 AM »
Even with a rod that is bore length, the addition of a ball screw or worm extends the rod beyond the muzzle's end
giving lots of length for finger purchase, for turning the screw or worm into the "lost" patch, or stuck ball as the case may be.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2019, 06:13:28 AM »
Even with a rod that is bore length, the addition of a ball screw or worm extends the rod beyond the muzzle's end
giving lots of length for finger purchase, for turning the screw or worm into the "lost" patch, or stuck ball as the case may be.

Thanks, Daryl! :)

I bought a traditional tow worm and ramrod tip. Going to attach the tip to my rod after I plumb brown them in the oven with the plumb browning I bought the other day.