Author Topic: Ok, now just how does this happen? (lead question)  (Read 6077 times)

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
Ok, now just how does this happen? (lead question)
« on: December 08, 2019, 05:44:00 AM »
Several years ago I bought 100 lbs of pure lead (99%) and it does test exactly where it's supposed to. Right at 5 BHN. I have a separate pot just for pure lead, marked as such, and I make sure that only that pure lead goes in that pot. Cast up some balls in .530 and .535 and test them and they are testing at 8 BHN. This one has me really confused.
Psalms 144

Offline flinchrocket

Re: Ok, now just how does this happen? (lead question)
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 07:10:35 AM »
Are they in 1 lb. ingots?

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 06:05:31 PM »
Are they in 1 lb. ingots?

No, the pure is in 10lb bricks.
Psalms 144

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 08:58:14 PM »
I am at a loss to explain that seeming phenomenon.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 09:47:05 PM »
I understand the question, but must ask-is 8 BHN a problem?  I've forgotten really but seems the Pb alloys I used to use were way higher than that.

We've a metallurgist around here somewhere.  Maybe he'll chime in.
Hold to the Wind

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 10:14:40 PM »
I've read that when alloyed lead is cast into bullets they will increase in hardness over the years - I don't think this pertains to pure lead :-\?
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 11:25:28 PM »
This might be off topic some what but when the term "chilled shot" is used, I think I have read that chilled shot was harder. Now was that chilled shot softer before being chilled and could Clark, s puzzle be caused by chilling the round balls if the chilling did harden them?  :-\

Offline Tim Ault

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 12:48:11 AM »
Just thinking out pound but maybe the round surface of the ball is throwing off your reading compared to when you tested the lead in flat ingot form ?  What hardness tester you using ?

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2019, 03:14:08 AM »
This might be off topic some what but when the term "chilled shot" is used, I think I have read that chilled shot was harder. Now was that chilled shot softer before being chilled and could Clark, s puzzle be caused by chilling the round balls if the chilling did harden them?  :-\
Chilled shot noun

Definition of chilled shot

: lead shot that has an antimony content of 3 to 6 percent
(From Merriam-Webster Dictionary)
Dennis

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2019, 03:22:49 AM »
Just thinking out pound but maybe the round surface of the ball is throwing off your reading compared to when you tested the lead in flat ingot form ?  What hardness tester you using ?

I'm using the Lee tester. I am filing a flat on the ball before testing. The left over end of the brick I tested gave me a .100 +/- sized indentation and the round ball gave me a .081 +/- indentation. Both were held under load for a timed 30 seconds.

Wade, the issue I'm having is that I can't get a .535 ball to even start with anything over .010 patches. In fact the only combination that I can get to load with anything less than excessive force is a .530 and .010 ball. Even the .530 and .015 patch starts to become difficult, but loadable. My accuracy is acceptable, and I'm hitting the same area on the gongs with each shot when I do my part. I'm feeling left out of the tight ball-patch combo club  :D :D
Psalms 144

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2019, 05:18:48 AM »

I'm using the Lee tester. I am filing a flat on the ball before testing. The left over end of the brick I tested gave me a .100 +/- sized indentation and the round ball gave me a .081 +/- indentation. Both were held under load for a timed 30 seconds.

Wade, the issue I'm having is that I can't get a .535 ball to even start with anything over .010 patches. In fact the only combination that I can get to load with anything less than excessive force is a .530 and .010 ball. Even the .530 and .015 patch starts to become difficult, but loadable. My accuracy is acceptable, and I'm hitting the same area on the gongs with each shot when I do my part. I'm feeling left out of the tight ball-patch combo club  :D :D

Mine won't take .535 balls either, and require a starter with 530's with a heavy denim patch.  As Daryl explains it, a patch needs to carry enough lube to wipe the bore all the way down-and you might not get this with thinner patching. Is the barrel coned? They've found that a short smooth radius requires less pressure to swage the load into the bore-than the gradual taper of a cone. 

Edit:  Are you saying that the hardness difference is causing your loading difficulties?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 05:29:02 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2019, 05:44:15 AM »
Thanks for that info Dennis.  :)

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2019, 06:59:45 AM »
Wade, I'm not sure what is causing it. I've always used .018 patching since I started shooting these guns back in the early 90s. Now I get a rifle that seems to like .010 with the smaller ball. I've always read Daryl's shooting posts and tried his advice where I can, it's always worked, except for this rifle. I've smoothed the muzzle radius, tried a smaller starter, measured the barrel, and now check the lead to make sure it's pure. I'm wondering if I should try something other than the neatsfoot oil, but it behaves the same with the bear grease and mink oil. I will say this barrel is the easiest cleaning barrel I've ever had.
Psalms 144

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2019, 04:47:25 PM »
It sounds like this may be a new rifle. Have you checked the bore dimension, it may be smaller than your other rifles.
Mark

Online Pukka Bundook

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2019, 05:42:39 PM »
Clark,

When casting the balls, did you drop them into water to cool?
If the hardness is different from the ingot, I can see surface tension giving a different reading if cast into water, but like you, I am at a complete loss as to how hardness can change otherwise.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2019, 06:26:33 PM »
It sounds like this may be a new rifle. Have you checked the bore dimension, it may be smaller than your other rifles.

Bores do vary.  As do moulds.  It's just a function of tolerance in the wear of the machines used to make them and the design specifications. I'd get a smaller ball yet, as I like a hefty patch.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Daryl

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2019, 08:17:44 PM »
Clark,

When casting the balls, did you drop them into water to cool?
If the hardness is different from the ingot, I can see surface tension giving a different reading if cast into water, but like you, I am at a complete loss as to how hardness can change otherwise.

The Lee alloy tester needs a fairly large, flat surface for testing. That means filing the surface of a/the balls for testing.

Lead alloys will not harden when dropped into water, unless they contain both antimony and arsenic, although the arsenic
 content is minuscule, but necessary. Lead shot has enough arsenic to harden if quenched or heat treated, as-do old style
alloy clamp or crimp-on WW's.

As noted, I cannot figure it out either, Richard.
The only way would be if an alloy bar of lead was introduced into the pure lead melt.
I also do not understand why THIS barrel is an anomaly as to loading snug patched balls.
Even an 8 brinel ball should be loadable with a .020" patch and .530" ball.
I was loading .682" WW balls in my .69 with the 12 oz. denim - THOSE were bloody tight, which is why I purchased the .677" mould. Those
load just fine with the 12oz AND 14oz. patches, I measure at .030" and .034"(calipers compressed).
Daryl

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2019, 05:42:11 AM »
No water quench. Just drop them from the mold onto my old towel and keep going. The balls are measuring true, at least caliper true. Maybe I should mic them to get a more accurate reading. The bore is .540 as best as I could tell without actually slugging the bore, but it does have odd number grooves so that would take some math work.

Maybe this particular barrel just likes loose loads. It's hitting where I aim and it easy to load, maybe I should just accept that for now and revisit this after I get a couple years of shooting through it.
Psalms 144

Offline Carl Young

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2019, 06:06:00 AM »
Several years ago I bought 100 lbs of pure lead (99%)

Just opinion on my part, but "pure" is a relative (as opposed to absolute) measurement. Some alloying elements, like arsenic, require less than 0.5% to affect the hardness of lead. Here is an excerpt from a book that discusses the point: https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Journal_of_Industrial_and_Engineerin/9KZGAQAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=lead+hardening&pg=PA446&printsec=frontcover

Good luck in solving your mystery.
Carl
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Offline hudson

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2019, 07:16:41 AM »
I ran into a similar problem few years ago. The lead passed the thumb nail test but loaded hard. I placed the cast ball against a Hornady ball in the vice and squeeze. The cast ball embedded its self in the Hornady ball without deforming.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2019, 10:06:06 PM »
Odd number of grooves would indeed present a smaller actual bore size (it would seem), then if even numbered grooves, if cut from the same original bore, seems to me.
Much of THIS then depends on the actual width of the grooves and lands.
I am sure the barrel maker used the same bore reamer size as normal, but there are ALWAYS tolerances in tools.
A way of testing ball hardness vs loading, would be to try some swaged balls from Speer or Hornady, or purchased cast
balls from Track or other sources.
Daryl

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2019, 01:59:33 AM »
I could take the barrel to work and pin gauge it.
Psalms 144

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2019, 04:18:23 PM »
Cast some balls from it,take the gun to the range and if it will make a 5 leaf clover at 50
yards the I would call it a success. ;D

Bob Roller

Offline Eddie Southgate

• Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6 .
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2019, 04:49:20 AM »
Just what Bob said .
Grumpy Old Man With A gun ,,,,, Do Not Touch !

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2020, 03:13:26 AM »
If it's 8 bn,  it's essentially  pure.  Lee testers are not the most accurate tester in the world. I don't know if they are still made, but the Cabin Tree and LBT were the best.
Ric Carter
Somers, Montana