Author Topic: Set Trigger: Too Light?  (Read 4124 times)

Smokey Plainsman

Set Trigger: Too Light?
« on: December 08, 2019, 09:46:08 AM »
Can a set trigger be “too light” as in “unsafe”?

My new rifle has a ridiculously light trigger when set. Unset, it’s light and smooth. Set? You could breath on it from across the room and it’d go off. I don’t have a trigger scale but it must be only a couple of ounces! That being said, there’s no pushoff or problems with it catching the sear.

Is it supposed to be like this? Do I need to adjust the trigger screw? If so, how should I do that? The triggerguard is pinned on and I’d rather not take it off to adjust the screw if I can help it.

Thoughts?

-Smokey

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
Re: Set Trigger: Too Light?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 11:19:16 AM »
There’s normally an adjustment screw between the two tiggers.   You should be able to make something to get in there without taking your guard off.  Screw it out a little and it will increase the pressure needed to release. 
You might want to remove the trigger just to get an idea of how they work.

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 05:32:55 PM »
Sounds like it is set perfect for me ;D

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 06:52:57 PM »
First rule of set triggers: don't set it until you're ready to make the shot.

Practice this as well as unsetting it for times when the shot doesn't work out.  They're also great for practicing trigger control by setting and snapping without cocking the lock.

Also, you can shoot the gun unset.  Light triggers are fantastic for target work but sometimes can contribute to an errant shot on game. 

When are you taking this thing out and shooting it?
Hold to the Wind

Offline Gemmer

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 07:56:49 PM »
Amazon has “right angle screwdrivers”.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 08:18:20 PM »

or make one from a nail or an allen wrench. 
Hold to the Wind

Black Jack

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 08:22:14 PM »
If it is as light as you describe, I would say it is too light. Sounds like it is very possible you could fire the rifle unintentionally. Adding a few ounces will not detract from it's ability to assist your trigger use.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2019, 08:39:40 PM »
Can a set trigger be “too light” as in “unsafe”?

My new rifle has a ridiculously light trigger when set. Unset, it’s light and smooth. Set? You could breath on it from across the room and it’d go off. I don’t have a trigger scale but it must be only a couple of ounces! That being said, there’s no pushoff or problems with it catching the sear.

Is it supposed to be like this? Do I need to adjust the trigger screw? If so, how should I do that? The triggerguard is pinned on and I’d rather not take it off to adjust the screw if I can help it.

Thoughts?

-Smokey

A light weight set trigger can be safe or unsafe.
If the trigger is safe, that is when set an actual jarring of the gun won't set it off, it is a safe, light weight set trigger.  The real question, with a light-weight safe set (meets the required criteria) trigger safe for you?

Bench Rest Rifle triggers are normally 1 or 2 ounces. I have triggers on air rifles that are 2 ounces and indeed, the trigger on my .36 squirrel rifle is about 3 ounces. These are totally safe - for me, because I have practiced with them. They might not be safe for you, who seem not practiced with light-weight triggers.

Normally, people who have never 'tried' a set trigger before, exclaim "I didn't even touch it & it went off", but with practice, they are able to 'use' a light-pull set trigger.
Most set triggers are adjustable, as the lads indicated.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2019, 09:06:42 PM »
The release is probably more than you think but it is obvious you are unfamiliar with set triggers. Take some time, go to your range and get used to it a little. If it won't fall off the hammer when gently tapped while on full cock it is safe. if it still feels too light simply adjust the set screw a 1/2 turn at a time and find what feels good to you. If it is a hunting rifle only you may want to have it reset anyway. The "Muskrat" likes his on the light (but safe) side.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 11:48:25 PM by MuskratMike »
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2019, 10:18:23 PM »
First rule of set triggers: don't set it until you're ready to make the shot.

Practice this as well as unsetting it for times when the shot doesn't work out.  They're also great for practicing trigger control by setting and snapping without cocking the lock.

Also, you can shoot the gun unset.  Light triggers are fantastic for target work but sometimes can contribute to an errant shot on game. 

When are you taking this thing out and shooting it?

My shooting supplies were supposed to be delivered today from Track but the mail is a day late (again) very common this time of year here. I work all week and it’s dark, but one of these nights I might drive out into the desert and use my car’s lights to shoot by, that’s how much I wanting to make smoke with my new rifle! If not this Saturday I’ll be at the range first light!

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2019, 10:22:05 PM »
For me there is a difference between a hunting trigger and a target trigger set or not. For me a hunting set trigger would be about 2 to 3 pounds (without gloves) and a target set trigger would be 1 to 3 oz.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Fyrstyk

• "All I ask of living is to have no chains on me."
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2019, 11:45:28 PM »
To adjust the screw between the triggers I have used just the hex bits from a jewelers screw driver set.  They are quite small in length and should fit inside the trigger guard without having to take the guard off.   

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2019, 11:55:11 PM »
For my target rifles I set the adjustable trigger light enough to let go when the butt is bumped and then back it off until I like it.
Mark

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2019, 12:43:26 AM »
Of my flint guns all are from 9oz to 13oz when set.  A couple are close to that unset.  One percussion is around (but never measured this particular one) 3oz set and too light for general use.  But unset it must be under 9oz and that's excellent.  The trigger screw on that one doesn't work as it's supposed to, but the rifle is fine as is.  I've always hunted with the trigger set on the flinters and it works for my needs.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline John SMOthermon

• John SMOthermon
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2019, 01:55:00 AM »
It sounds perfect for my taste Smokey....

Just keep your trigger finger away from it until you're ready to shoot!

Like said above, if it can't be tripped by bumping the side of the rifle at full cock...

I can't see where it would be considered unsafe.
Smo

Good Luck & Good Shootin'

Offline Notchy Bob

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2019, 03:35:56 AM »
-Smokey

As noted above, you can adjust the trigger by turning the screw which is located between them.  There were also some excellent suggestions for tools you can use to accomplish this.  However... Have you tried just using your fingers?  If the triggers are unset, you might be able to turn that screw with your thumb and forefinger.  Turn the screw out a little to make the hair trigger less sensitive.  Whether you use your fingers or a tool, you should be able to turn the screw without removing the triggerguard.

You can test the triggers without firing the rifle. Just make sure the hammer is all the way down.  Never trip your set triggers with the hammer at half cock.

I don't want to complicate things too much, but set triggers may be single lever or double lever.  Most of the double set triggers that you get nowadays are the double lever type, which means you can fire the gun with the triggers set or unset because both the front and rear triggers have blades to engage the sear arm.  You can squeeze the front trigger just like a "normal" trigger without setting it to fire your rifle.  The only single lever double set triggers I know of in current production are the #0001 triggers from R. E. Davis.  There may be others, but I don't know of any.  Single lever triggers have to be set to fire the gun because only the rear trigger has a blade to engage the sear arm. I don't know for sure what kind your rifle has, but chances are pretty good it has the double lever type because these are the most common.  Of the old rifles I have personally examined, the reverse is true... Most of them have single lever double set triggers, and their locks typically had no half-cock notch in the tumbler.  The hammer could only be fully down or at full cock, and it could only be cocked when the triggers were set, and the gun could only be fired with the triggers set.  Modern blackpowder shooters would consider this unsafe, as the half-cock position is the "safety" on a sidelock muzzleloader, but the old timers had a different way of looking at things.

Be safe!

Notchy Bob
"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us.  Should have rode horses.  Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2019, 03:40:17 AM »
Thanks, all.

With the triggers set and hammer at full cock, I dropped the rifle on my hardwood floor from about a foot up over a towel to cushion the buttplate.

Didn’t go off.

Did this a few more times.

Didn’t go off.

Seems safe!

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2019, 03:47:32 AM »
Watch that dropping onto the butt.  You might lose some of the toe of the stock.

I love set triggers.  Just note that you don't press or take-up a set trigger.  I keep my finger clear until I am ready for it to go.  Some folks release a set trigger by touching the side of the trigger.

Just do some experimenting. 

God Bless,   Marc

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2019, 04:27:07 AM »
Watch that dropping onto the butt.  You might lose some of the toe of the stock.

I love set triggers.  Just note that you don't press or take-up a set trigger.  I keep my finger clear until I am ready for it to go.  Some folks release a set trigger by touching the side of the trigger.

Just do some experimenting. 

God Bless,   Marc

It wasn’t too hard, I make it sound hard but it was just a bump that’s all.

Thank you for instructing me. My Lyman’s plains rifle had a set trigger, but it sure wasn’t as light or smooth feeling as this here!

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2019, 05:08:46 AM »
That Davis #4 trigger is my favorite set trigger. Once you get used to it you will really like the way it breaks clean. Especially for offhand shooting.

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2019, 12:31:43 PM »

or make one from a nail or an allen wrench.
Thanks Wade. Fabricating one from an allen wrench is one of those "slap my forehead...why didn't I think of that" ideas that makes spending time on this forum truly worthwhile.
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline alacran

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2019, 03:39:16 PM »
When you do a lot of target shooting, you will find that a 2 ounce trigger can feel like it is unmovable. The more trigger control you master the finer a trigger you will want.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Daryl

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2019, 08:25:47 PM »
When you do a lot of target shooting, you will find that a 2 ounce trigger can feel like it is unmovable. The more trigger control you master the finer a trigger you will want.

Exactly! (or close enough ;))
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline recurve

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2019, 11:45:00 PM »
Not to High jack the tread BUT over this weekend I almost bought a flinter with set triggers , 70s build, but stopped when I tested the set triggers (full cocked set the back trigger, then tried to touch the front ,it fired when barely touched (less than a 1 oz)) the seller backed the set screw out , half a turn at a time , several times (and even remove the screw) and it still was a scary hair trigger. the set screw made no difference .    I Passed on that rifle not knowing the fix or who to take it to (Dixons here in pa said no).  Any one know who in the Berks Pa area works on triggers?

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2019, 03:26:04 AM »
A worn set trigger that has the correct geometry/architecture, is easy to make right again.  Take the triggers out of the rifle, and out of the trigger plate, and stone the hook angles sharp again, each with a bit of an acute angle.  If the corners are sharp, you should be able to set it up to fire with just the exact amount of trigger pull/touch.  If the front trigger is not designed correctly, and the hook is FORWARD of the pivot pin, good luck getting it nice.
A Davis trigger(s) is easy to get perfect.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.