Author Topic: Set Trigger: Too Light?  (Read 4140 times)

Offline sdilts

Re: Set Trigger: Too Light?
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2019, 03:52:46 AM »
I just use a piece of hacksaw blade to adjust the screw.

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2019, 03:10:08 PM »
Wade Patton...First rule of set triggers: don't set it until you're ready to make the shot.

Yup

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2019, 03:24:42 PM »
A 1970's gun,hypersensetive trigger indicates to me a worn trigger and perhaps a weak
front trigger tension spring.Easy fix if you have the tools and understand how these triggers work.
Bob Roller

Offline Daryl

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2019, 09:57:42 PM »
Wade Patton...First rule of set triggers: don't set it until you're ready to make the shot.

Yup

I would go one further, guys - don't set the trigger until the hammer is at full cock & the frizzen is closed - then do not touch it until aimed and ready to fire.
I have seen guys set the trigger before bringing the cock to full bent position & closing the frizzen. If the sear slips while you are closing the frizzen, you WILL
receive a most frightful burn, straight from the vent.

Yes, there are triggers that must be "set" before the cock can be set to full bent position. I had one of those and replaced it with double set, double throw triggers.
Do as you need to.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2019, 12:38:01 AM »

Yup

I would go one further, guys - don't set the trigger until the hammer is at full cock & the frizzen is closed - then do not touch it until aimed and ready to fire.
I have seen guys set the trigger before bringing the cock to full bent position & closing the frizzen. If the sear slips while you are closing the frizzen, you WILL
receive a most frightful burn, straight from the vent.

Yes, there are triggers that must be "set" before the cock can be set to full bent position. I had one of those and replaced it with double set, double throw triggers.
Do as you need to.

oh dear.

When I said "ready to make the shot" I meant in the process of acquiring the sight picture or just before. The cock goes to full as I shoulder, setting the trigger is after the gun is mounted and pointed quite closely to the intended line of fire.  It all happens so fast and automagically.   IT's the very last thing I do before engaging the front trigger aside from fine-tuning the sight picture  ;)

Hold to the Wind

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2019, 04:29:22 PM »
The initial quality of the double set trigger can determine what level of satisfaction
you will get from them.I ream fit the pins on the ones I make and use polished
drill rod for pins.Also my front trigger tension spring is different and it's a rectangular
thing that can function even if one side cracks or breaks.I would assume Jim Kibler's
CNC made triggers would be very stable but don't know about the others that seem
to be different depending on the quality of assembly and fitting of pins.

Bob Roller

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2019, 12:26:13 AM »
  I like my triggers extremely light. I never ever set until the sights are on target. To me you never touch the trigger until your ready to shoot anyway...

Oldtravler

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2019, 04:50:19 AM »
It’s a personal preference.  I like setting mine where I shoot best.