Author Topic: Engraved Oil Bottle  (Read 1960 times)

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Engraved Oil Bottle
« on: December 09, 2019, 08:41:43 PM »
I have been trying to catch up with tasks I have taken on for people over the last many months.  A fellow ordered an engraved little oil bottle quite some time ago and I had the bottle made right away....then got too busy to complete the engraving.  Finished it last evening and will send it out today.

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline LynnC

Re: Engraved Oil Bottle
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 08:56:38 PM »
That’s a Gem!
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 09:28:13 PM »
Don't know anyone who wouldn't want one in their bag. Simply perfect!
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 10:25:22 PM »
I just received an email asking me how big the oil bottle is.....this will show it better.  It's pretty small....

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 12:53:25 AM »
If you were to make another what would be the price for a similar one?
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline hawkeye

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 01:47:33 AM »
That's a really very nice and well executed job sir, top

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 04:45:38 PM »
Meticulous as usual good sir. 

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2019, 05:56:59 PM »
Lovely work Dave!!

I think one this style, with engraved top, Border engraved, And a monogram would be exceedingly elegant!

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 07:59:56 PM »
Thanks to all.  Muskrat Mike, I sent you a PM on the oil bottle.  Plain ones are available here       http://www.luckybag.us/PouchOilBottle.html      and I will send you some information about engraving options.
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2019, 08:12:22 PM »
Some other options on the oil bottles I have done in the past:

Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2019, 10:23:47 PM »
Dave, love your work and hope to get a piece or two someday.  Question, If requested could/would you do engraving more like the period, somewhat less refined and with the crudely rendered animals or caricatures? 

I understand if that's not something you're interested in. Of course the other option is to buy a plain bottle and do such myself.
Hold to the Wind

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2019, 11:10:38 PM »
Wade,

Sure.....I could do a more period correct version.
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline EC121

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2019, 11:45:37 PM »
I have one of these engraved bottles.  I keep it by my computer and just admire the engraving on it.  One day I will get oil in it.  For the quality work received  you won't find a better value.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 11:51:16 PM by EC121 »
Brice Stultz

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2019, 02:03:40 AM »
Those oil bottles look like they would really look nice in a cased pistol set up. Do the dipper stems have an rubber O ring or some such to prevent oil seepage?

Lobo

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2019, 04:18:11 AM »
This is I think an old sewing machine oil can. It has my initials plus a whale carved on it. The whale because it has real sperm oil in it. Sperm oil is great patch lube in really cold weather.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2019, 04:57:32 AM »
Smylee,

Yes, the top has an "O" ring seal....I made some more traditional oil bottles with cork and or wood stoppers, but they are fairly worthless unless you either don't put any oil in them or you don't mind oil leaking all over whatever you put the bottle in.  These don't leak....period.

Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2019, 05:28:18 AM »
OK thanks Dave. After I read your last post I went back and read the link you provided and seen the answer to my question. Thanks for posting the photos of your work. I and so many other members here do enjoy looking over your handy work and engraving skills.