General discussion > Contemporary Accoutrements

An interesting old map horn

(1/2) > >>

Canute Rex:
I was just down in Philadelphia and went to the Philadelphia Museum of Art. In a room off the Arms And Armor area they have a small but stunning collection of antique firearms and accoutrements. I took a bunch of photos, including a few of a horn made in 1760 with a Montreal to Albany map on the side. The maker was one Josiah Furman.

The maker has included small drawings of buildings and trees - a nice touch.

Here is the southern end, with the artist's impressions of Albany and New York City.

Here's the whole thing.

I recommend a visit to this museum to anyone near Philadelphia. You will not be disappointed.

G. Elsenbeck:
Great photos.  This reminds me of one of the horns known as the 'Pointy Tree Carver'.   Anyone thinks too?

Gary

Randy Hedden:
Canute,

A typical Montreal to New York map horn of the F&I War time period typically had 45 to 50 town, fort, and place names with small forts, houses, stockades , churches, lakes and rivers drawn in and named up and down the horn.  This one looks like a nice map horn of the period.  Like Gary said it looks somewhat like a couple of map horns made by the Pointed Tree carver, but this one has none of the distinctive pointed trees in evidence and the Fonts used are different.  The horns by the Pointed Tree carver also had very nicely done English coat of arms on the side of the horn opposite from the map.

Randy Hedden

Berks Liberty:
I love map horns like that!  clean looking, and gives you a good picture to look at.  Thanks for sharing!

Jason

Randy Hedden:

--- Quote from: Berks Liberty on July 20, 2009, 04:31:30 AM ---I love map horns like that!  clean looking, and gives you a good picture to look at.  Thanks for sharing!

Jason

--- End quote ---

Jason,

I really like map horns also, except they take a really long time to do all the scrimshaw.

Randy Hedden

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version