Author Topic: Gang moulds  (Read 3373 times)

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
Gang moulds
« on: December 11, 2019, 09:13:28 PM »
I shared this in the current 30-cal discussion but thought it'd catch more traffic here as I'm curious about CNC'd gang moulds and the experience of any seasoned casters using them. 

He lists these for everything from .180, to .750" and will cut you any spec in-between as I read it.  Of course the number of balls each will be reduced in the larger sizes.

Also, if I had money to bet, I'd bet money these could be cut for multiple sizes for guys who need more than one size.  Say .295 on one side and .390 on the other-or whatever your guns demand.

These gang moulds look pretty nice.  Anybody tried them? https://www.martysarms.com/products/round-ball-molds-inch-sizes

Down to .180" by ten-thousandths, or to order. Seems reasonable.

Hold to the Wind

Offline 45-110

Re: Gang moulds
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 10:19:07 PM »
My experience with multiple cavity molds is that yes you can make a bunch fast but that getting a bunch of "good" bullets can be difficult. Weights vary and the pouring rhythm interrupted. And without a sprue plate there is lots of trimming. Making buck or swan shot I guess it would not matter. Trying to maintain a constant mold temp from one end to the other would be tough too.

Offline okawbow

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 01:05:09 AM »
I use a similar mold for my .30 caliber flintlock. I only pour 3 or 4 cavities full at a time. Any more, and they start to get voids or lines in the bullets. They shoot just fine though.
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 04:09:38 AM »
CNC'd cavities - sounds great!  I wonder how many cavities in the larger sizes. I saw no mention of that
on the web site.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline JBJ

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 04:44:02 PM »
Interesting! The lack of a sprue plate would be a bit of bother but the use of a pair of dedicated gate cutters like Jann's Netcraft sells would help in that department. A good gate cutter cuts mighty close; far better than using conventional side cutters for wire!
J.B.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2019, 05:22:00 PM »
CNC'd cavities - sounds great!  I wonder how many cavities in the larger sizes. I saw no mention of that
on the web site.

Here's the biggest I saw in the pictures.  Down to single-hole sprues at .410" and 14 cavities rather than the 24 for the smallest balls/shot.

I'm betting a message or call would get things cleared up. When I get ready for 30 and 40 cal moulds I may well give this product a try. 

I made inquiry where a fellow was showing his MA moulds on the youtoob.

Hold to the Wind

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2019, 07:04:26 PM »
I sent a message to Marty. Maybe he'll reply.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2019, 09:48:32 PM »
Thanks, Wade. For cutting the sprues on Tanner moulds, I use the plyers-type wire strippers with the little cuttouts.
I grasp the ball, cut into the sprue with the cutter, little more than 1/2 way, just up from the ball's surface, then rotate the
ball. It usually comes off the sprue perfectly with no nothing left but a tiny little protrusion.teat that is easily pressed or tapped
down onto the ball's surface (with the nose of the cutters) for a perfectly round ball.
I prefer the white handled ones, but used the smaller red ones for years before getting the white handled strippers.

Daryl

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2019, 11:01:28 PM »
CNC in general?  I buy Lee gang ball molds whenever I can.  IF they do not make one for a caliber I normally do not buy that barrel for a project.  The Lee ones work great.  They may have a little bur here or there that need attention.  Once sorted they run great.  I use mold bore paste to lubricate anything that needs lube.  It does not migrate and contaminate the cavity.  Degrease, heat and smoke the cavities.  Run the leat at about 850*F. I use the large Lee bottom pour furnace.  I usually set a production goal of 500 balls per session.  It does not take long. 

Lee swages the cavities with identical carbide balls to make the cavities the same and impart a mirror finish.  The mold shown in the OP requires trimming the ball from a tree.  To much fuss for me, to each his own. 

For bullets of any kind, Accuratemolds.com is not notch.  Their molds are CNC and up to 6-cavity.  I just had him do a custom mold for a 5-cavity bullet for a ML match pistol.  It was super fast deliver and exactly what I wanted.
 He does not make ball molds, unfortunately. 

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2019, 10:24:15 PM »
Re: Marty's Arms.  No reply in these few days.  I'll give it 7 days before I re-inquire, or just forget about making contact. 

Lee doesn't sell anything for .30, and only sells a double for 40 cal.

Anyone else make multiple ball moulds anywhere?  Got no need for pointy bullets.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2019, 09:29:26 PM »
DC in .311 and .319", Wade. Of course, those are a mite large for a .30.
Daryl

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2019, 10:42:59 PM »
DC in .311 and .319", Wade. Of course, those are a mite large for a .30.

Yes, doesn't leave a lot of room for a patch, and I've got 46" to shove it down.  I should slug that thing.

edit:

I posted a message to Marty on ebay and pointed him to this thread and asked a few questions about his products.  I'll relay them if he answers there and not here.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 11:31:31 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2019, 12:03:11 AM »
I have one in 1/0 buck, which is .320".  Mold casts 20 at a time.  I Only get 12 to 15 good ones each time, 19 once.  But 12 to 15 gets a whole bunch of balls cast in a short time.
They shoot great in my .32  Rice barrel with a .020" patch.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2019, 12:24:11 AM »
I have one in 1/0 buck, which is .320".  Mold casts 20 at a time.  I Only get 12 to 15 good ones each time, 19 once.  But 12 to 15 gets a whole bunch of balls cast in a short time.
They shoot great in my .32  Rice barrel with a .020" patch.

Who made your mould?  The one Marty has on ebay in .320" only has 16 cavities.  But he did have an earlier model with gears in the hinge.  Of course all gang mould experiences are good for this thread.  Thanks.
Hold to the Wind

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2019, 02:17:46 AM »
Marty is traveling. We made contact. He says he can do dual cavity sizes (probably more if you wanted methinks). That was my main question to him. He said he'd catch the others when he got back into the shop.  Suits me and maybe that'll draw some more interest in his stuff.

I do think I'd go for a two sizes gang mould. Get a 30/40 and I'd be good until need a 66/54!  Nominal sizes that is.  So for what it's worth there's that. 

I like small outfits and the fact that he can cut .180-.750 without limiting us to a small range of sizes as normal industrial production tends to do.  Also like small outfits because you can talk to the man/woman in charge rather than some employee in a special department who really doesn't understand/comprehend.
Hold to the Wind

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2019, 07:52:31 AM »
Wade,
Mine is made by Sharpshooter USA.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2019, 08:14:09 AM »
Wade,
Mine is made by Sharpshooter USA.

Thanks, I looked and it appears he's out of production since '17. 
There aren't new comments or updates otherwise on this video.

Hold to the Wind

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2019, 04:03:48 PM »
I don't care for gang molds. I think the lead tends to cool before you get everything poured and more bad than good balls. The most I use are double cavities. Not a problem getting getting 100 pretty quick.
Mark

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2019, 08:20:39 PM »
"I don't care for gang molds. I think the lead tends to cool before you get everything poured and more bad than good balls."

Use hotter lead ~850*, smoke the mold, preheat the mold, cast faster.  I prefer a sprue plate with a trough.  I tilt the mold and move it along under the bottom pour spout.  I take only a few seconds to fill all the cavities. 

I would not expect good results with a dipper. 

Offline Daryl

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2019, 11:27:40 PM »
I also cut/grind a trough between the sprue holes in my double cavity moulds. Makes for easier casting. I also run my lead on the hot side, although
I do not use a thermometer - kinda got used to casting, now for 47 years, without having a thermometer.
I do have a 4-cavity mould for one of my air rifles - it casts pure lead only and 4 perfectly formed bullets each time- no trough, and doesn't seem to need one.
Daryl

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2020, 04:57:38 PM »
Wade,
I have a Lee mold in .285. Got it
 from Flintlocks Inc. I use it in a .29 Bill Large barreled rifle.
Mark

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2020, 07:56:16 AM »
Wade,
I have a Lee mold in .285. Got it
 from Flintlocks Inc. I use it in a .29 Bill Large barreled rifle.

Lee doesn't list anything in that size anymore.  Is that a single cavity?  I'm not hard up for a mould, was mostly curious about the Marty's products and other gang moulds.  Which I yet think could be a real handy deal with two ball sizes (of your choice) in one set of blocks.  I'll probably have him make one up when I get some guns together, unless somebody waves me off.

Hold to the Wind

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2020, 04:36:49 PM »
Wade,
It is a single mold. You might get in touch with Mike Eder at Flintlocks Inc. He may still have one in stock.
Mark