Author Topic: How do you store your flinters  (Read 3088 times)

Offline recurve

How do you store your flinters
« on: December 12, 2019, 05:55:17 AM »
How do you store your flinters (I can't find a gun safe tall  :oenough for my 44inch barreled Lancaster)

Offline Stoner creek

Re: How do you store your flinters
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 06:08:10 AM »
I have a big house with lots of closets!  8)
Stop Marxism in America

Offline EC121

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 06:28:58 AM »
I have a safe that will hold a 44" barreled rifle.  Maybe a little longer.  44"  is just the longest one I own.
Brice Stultz

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 06:33:59 AM »
Like Stoner creek standing upright in a big walk in closet.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline stikshooter

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 01:56:33 PM »
Built mine, horizontal lined /dehumidified  room enough for more guns than I can afford . Looks like built in cabinet with no entry and lots of crock pots stacked on it

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2019, 03:48:34 PM »
I would suggest storing muzzle down, or at least muzzle angled down. Prevents bore preservative from migrating to the breech where it is harder to remove before firing. If left long enough, it can cause trouble, especially in a patent type or chambered breech. Even on a flat plug, fugitive oil can foul the first charge, making for a pain in the neck. Just sharing some painfully learned knowledge. God bless, Marc

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2019, 04:27:08 PM »
I bought a Buckhorn safe from Costco several years ago. I forget inside height but there is no problem storing my Mathew Gillespie rifle wit 45 1/4" barrel and 14 LOP inside. I used to Own a rifle with 47" barrel that also fit but if I rember right it was a little tight. They usually put those safes on sale around this time of year. I have been very pleased with mine and the price was great but I forget how much it was.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2019, 04:44:58 PM »
I hang them on the wall. My home is also my safe.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2019, 09:50:53 PM »
Muzzle-down on a rack against the wall in the "gun room".
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2019, 10:38:01 PM »
So who all feels it is necessary to store rifles barrel down?
 After cleaning and using WD-40 on the inside of the barrel. I let the rifles sit (barrel down) in the garage where I clean them. After awhile I wipe the bore dry, apply a LIGHT coating of gun oil on a patch and run it down the barrel. After letting it sit against the bench (barrel down again) I wipe all the outside surfaces and wax the wood if necessary then store them standing up in the storage closet (climate controlled) with the barrel up. Prior to shooting I always run a patch with isopropyl alcohol down the bore followed by a dry patch. I have never found any build up at the breech doing it this way. I do believe people over oil the barrels after cleaning. Maybe necessary in high humidity areas or if stored in a basement or garage.
What do you all think? The "Muskrat" wants to know.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire

Offline little joe

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2019, 10:42:06 PM »
I,m with Daryl

Offline Dave Marsh

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2019, 11:06:14 PM »
I am like Robby.  Mine hang on the wall to admire them daily and sometimes hourly.  My house is my safe.

Dave
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2019, 12:48:49 AM »
Stuck here and there with a few on the wall.  I store them horizontal or vertically muzzle up.  Barricade is what I use and it dries so nothing seeps into the breech area.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2019, 01:56:45 AM »
Rifle rack on a wall, slightly muzzle down. I try not to overdue it with oils/rust inhibitors post cleaning, but have often found a slight accumulation at the edge of the muzzle with them stored this way, so will continue to do so. I also store my modern long guns this way in my safe. Not only to keep oils and such out of the breach, but I find them easier to grab and take out of the safe this way.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2019, 03:45:58 AM »
I store all my firearms muzzle down, in a locked small room...such is the way it is in Canada.  The combs of the rifles sit gently in a notch cut in a piece of 2 x 4 dimensional lumber, so that there is some space between each, but they use as little room as necessary.  The muzzles rest on a piece of 2 x 6 lumber, and the darkness of that board is testament to the oil running back out the muzzles, in spite of the fact that I use only that which will wet a piece of flannel.
the room I have made for this specific purpose was snafoo'd from a too long spare bedroom, and a little of my shop.  It also contains all my precious reference books...all in one place.  I also have a tall safe in this room and it stores some of my double guns, important paperwork, etc.
I hope this phot will describe it better than my words...

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2019, 09:24:31 PM »
So who all feels it is necessary to store rifles barrel down?
 After cleaning and using WD-40 on the inside of the barrel. I let the rifles sit (barrel down) in the garage where I clean them. After awhile I wipe the bore dry, apply a LIGHT coating of gun oil on a patch and run it down the barrel. After letting it sit against the bench (barrel down again) I wipe all the outside surfaces and wax the wood if necessary then store them standing up in the storage closet (climate controlled) with the barrel up. Prior to shooting I always run a patch with isopropyl alcohol down the bore followed by a dry patch. I have never found any build up at the breech doing it this way. I do believe people over oil the barrels after cleaning. Maybe necessary in high humidity areas or if stored in a basement or garage.
What do you all think? The "Muskrat" wants to know.

My longrifles are all standing somewhere, gunsafe is too short and it's full anyway. I always stored them muzzle up. Then one day I picked one up that I had just cleaned a few days ago and saw liquid "In" the touch hole and on the barrel flat. It was oil. The same light oil I had used inside the gun on the barrel.
So now I stand a rifle muzzle up for a day or so, then flip it over and stand it barrel down for awhile. The muzzles are all placed on a couple of folded up paper towels.
That excess oil must be dealt with before you go shoot or hunt, if not you risk a hang fire or flash in the pan. Not only that it can soften the wood in the lock area as it migrates from metal to wood over a period of time.
One day I'm going to build a wall rack with the muzzle slightly down.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Eddie Southgate

• Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6 .
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2019, 04:37:02 AM »
Leaned up in a corner .
Grumpy Old Man With A gun ,,,,, Do Not Touch !

Offline bowkill

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2019, 03:30:55 AM »
My newest way I am locking mine up to prevent smash and grab..  But it they have enough time they can get them no matter what they are in..

μολὼν λαβέ (Come and take them)

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2019, 03:34:09 AM »
You should market and sell these. Great idea, simple but does the job.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2019, 05:30:50 AM »
My newest way I am locking mine up to prevent smash and grab..  But it they have enough time they can get them no matter what they are in..

Excellence. Did you buy it or make it?

smokepole45cal

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2019, 07:48:19 AM »
I used to worry about safes...not anymore!  My sister and brother in law were burglarized in WA state and the thieves passed up visible long guns for hand guns they could easily sell. Thieves want something easily concealed and easily sellable. Let's face it...our longrifles are neither!  I've even checked with pawn shops...zero interest at all so you know thieves aren't going there.

Now a house fire...that is another matter. Liberty safes have a couple long safes that are fire resistant for a limited time. Expensive but so are our guns.

Something to think about.

Offline bowkill

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2019, 07:52:02 AM »
Made it..cut and welded it up.. Should of took some pictures of the process.. Only thing is you have to put butt of guns toward a wall or they could just slide them out .. Or just give it $#*! with a hack saw...lol
μολὼν λαβέ (Come and take them)