Author Topic: IL State Museum in Springfield  (Read 3013 times)

Offline T*O*F

IL State Museum in Springfield
« on: July 19, 2009, 08:41:45 PM »
Has anyone been to the IL State Museum in Springfield lately.  The state .22 rifle championships used to be held at the Armory when I was a kid and we would visit the museum.  The only thing I remember about it was the phenominal gun room they had, which made an impression on a Jr. Rifleman.  I wonder if it is still there.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline louieparker

Re: IL State Museum in Springfield
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 11:46:14 PM »
 I was there this spring, they had about three guns displayed,  I was told the rest was in storage and no I couldn't see them! LP

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 06:50:01 AM »
Illinois is a strange state. USIU once had an incredible artifact and pioneer museum in the 
Anthro Department (50 years ago since I last saw it).
Went there this past fall and took the trouble to visitit again hoping to see even more than last time.
There was nothing! On inquiry the curator said that the elites from Springfield come down on occasion and take things away with them when they leave. It was said that they are in a state storage facility somewhere up in Springfield. Wonder if this is so, or have they been sold or stolen over the years?
Dick

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 07:32:50 AM »
The old Illinois State Museum was a treasure trove of collections, all open to public viewing.  The "new" Illinois State Museun is set up with scenes behind glass, depicting different periods in history.  There is never more than a handfull of anything on display at any given time, and you can't get close to any of it.  I found it a real disappointment.

JBlk

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 03:07:10 PM »
When I visited New Salem state park in the fifties each cabin had at least one long rifle in it.Within ten years the majority of those rifles disappeared never to return.When I asked what happened to them I received the standard line that they were in storage.If Illinois hasn't got the most crooks in it I'll bet we run a close second.