Author Topic: Ramrod Coating  (Read 2280 times)

Smokey Plainsman

Ramrod Coating
« on: December 13, 2019, 04:11:51 AM »
What to coat the ramrod after making it?

I’ve read a bee’s wax. But how? Rub the lump of wax on the rod and hope for the best? Heat it up?

-Smokey

Offline MuskratMike

Re: Ramrod Coating
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 05:33:03 AM »
There is an Amish furniture store near us. They sell a lemon oil and beeswax product for their hardwood tables and chairs. It works great for ramrods and the stocks, I even use it as a top coat on the metal work if going out shooting in the rain. Wipe on let sit 15 minutes wipe with dry cotton towel.
Forgot to mention that is well after I oil stain it to compliment the stain on the rifle.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 07:55:49 AM by MuskratMike »
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Notchy Bob

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 06:15:25 AM »
I think you are right to put a finish of some sort on there, but I don't think it matters very much what you use.  I have used spar varnish (the old fashioned kind, with a tung oil base), Danish oil, linseed oil, Laurel Mountain Forge Nut Brown stain with a Permalyn overcoat, and nothing at all.  I bought a Northwest gun from Danny Caywood, and it came with a glossy black ramrod that looked like ebony.  I had to taper the end of it to clear the forward lock bolt, and found it was hickory with a black finish.  I called Danny to ask what finish he used, so I could match it, and the answer was... Black shoe polish!

I've been told that old timers here in the south would wet a rag with turpentine and rub it on every day for a week or so.  This is supposed to toughen the wood and improve its elasticity, in addition to providing a protective finish.  I've also heard of using the traditional mixture favored by sailors for treating exposed wood.  I think this is composed of turpentine, linseed oil, pine tar, and Japan dryer.  I've seen wood treated with this concoction, and it actually makes a pleasing deep brown color and a dry, waterproof finish which is not oily or sticky.

Seriously, you can probably look around in your garage and find a little leftover varnish, Minwax, Danish oil, or whatever.  Just something to protect it from wetting.  If the rod has no finish and it is a tight fit in your thimbles when it's dry, then you put it in wet or you get a rainy spell, it may swell up and be hard to pull out.  A waterproof sealant and finish is a good idea.

If I really wanted the best possible finish, for waterproofing and abrasion resistance, I would use either spar varnish (any brand with a tung oil base) or Permalyn.  Others may have other suggestions which work equally well for them.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us.  Should have rode horses.  Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 08:16:01 AM »
Just got finished with the rod:

Used a hickory blank and sanded it down to a nice fit in the gun. Then whiskered it, and using directions from Ned Roberts, used electricians tape cut with a safety razor to make the stripe. I used Fiebings dark brown and chocolate. I decided to put on a thin coat of Tru-Oil as that’s what was in my “shop” (i.e. kitchen).

Not perfect for my first attempt but overall I’m happy with it and it should prove very functional.

Offline msellers

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2019, 08:22:35 AM »
I like it, turned out nice from what I see. Should be very functional for you.
Mike

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2019, 08:47:09 AM »
I like it, turned out nice from what I see. Should be very functional for you.
Mike

Thanks, Mike! I’ve got many blanks available and want to try different colors and mixtures of dye. Chocolate and Dark Brown were just on hand but I think the subdued look works well with the rifle.

It’s fun making things! Next project is a bullet block. I’ve got a couple small slabs of curly maple’s wood ready, and a top of the line $65 drill press from Harbor Freight. :)

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2019, 01:12:35 AM »
Thanks, all.

Would a coat of Johnsons’s Paste Wax work well as a sealant?

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2019, 01:18:48 PM »
Probably all the trchniques mentioned here will work equally well, but I have learned the hard way that a ramrod needs periodic attention to keep it in good order.  Istill use my oils at the start and end of each shooting year.  Mostly seasonal trail walk type shooting.

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2019, 03:13:58 PM »
There’s probably a hundred different ways to go about finishing ram rods, just like finishing stock wood. I generally stain my rammer with aqua fortis...I like the reddish brown color it gives the hickory when blushed. I then use a couple coats of LMF sealer, just like I do on the stock. After the finish is well cured on everything, a coat of wax is the final step in my finishing process. I generally use a home brewed mix of Johnson’s paste wax, beeswax, and turpentine, just my preference. A maintenance coat once a year or so (usually after hunting/shooting season) works for me.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2019, 07:24:57 PM »
Nice work, looks good and should work fine.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Dave Marsh

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2019, 07:45:06 PM »
Yes, waxing it would be a good idea.
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2019, 10:52:59 PM »
Thanks, gang. I know Tru-Oil has a long cure time but after a couple weeks I’ll put a coat of paste wax on it.

The rod served very well at the range this morning. It’s so close to bore diameter I can simply withdraw it and ram, no need to flip it round first. Very cool!

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2019, 10:11:50 PM »
I have a number of rods that have been soaked in a tube filled with lamp oil. Others use diesel or turpentine. I don't like the smell of the latter.
Mark

Offline tallpine

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2019, 11:48:41 PM »
I stain my ramrods and then burnish them with a smooth glass jar. Makes them slick and smooth and hardens the surface. looks good too.