Author Topic: Gun Builders get together, Log Cabin Shop, Lodi Ohio  (Read 3393 times)

Offline BillPac

• N. Ohio
Gun Builders get together, Log Cabin Shop, Lodi Ohio
« on: December 13, 2019, 06:29:58 PM »
Hello all
We are planning a gun builders get together for Saturday February 15th at the Log Cabin Shop in Lodi Ohio.  Bring what ever you are working on and lets spend the day working on and talking about long rifles.  There is plenty of bench space and of course the awesome museum to peruse.  The store will be open so if you have any parts you need there is a very good chance they will have it in stock.  Stop by and say hello.  Will be there from 9 until 4:30 or so.
BillP

Offline patchbox

• Starting Member
Re: Gun Builders get together, Log Cabin Shop, Lodi Ohio
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 01:05:32 AM »
  Thank you for the notice, Bill. I sure will try to be there and look forward to seeing you and any of the other guys that show up.........Chuck Papesh.

Offline Gordy

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 03:35:54 AM »
Well that sounds pretty cool, hopefully my buddy whom also is a contemporary builder can attend along with me. Hope too see you there weather permitting.
Good Day, Gordy

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 04:07:20 PM »
A nice get-together is a great thing to look forward to.  Going to be a pleasure to put some faces to names. I'll try to bring my Stith "St. Louis Rifle".
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline BillPac

• N. Ohio
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 09:12:37 PM »
Thought I would bring this back to the top.
BillP

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 05:17:58 AM »
I'm  bumping this to the top, I'll be there, who's  bringing  the coffee cake and danish?

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 07:46:48 AM »
Back to the top with this

Offline BillPac

• N. Ohio
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2020, 08:51:05 PM »
Wanted to bring this back to the top.
I have spoken to Ian Pratt and he has agreed to do an hour or so seminar on metal and wood finishing.  We will begin the talk around 1:00 pm. 
I am planning to bring venison chili and I think Walt is bringing venison stew.  Come on over/down/up to the Log Cabin on Saturday the 15th and lets have a good day talking and looking at guns and such.  There are plenty of work benches so if you have a project you are working on and would like to have some time to work on it with a bunch of us looking over your shoulder please bring it along.  Hope to see you Saturday the 15th.
BillP

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 06:10:10 PM »
I am still planning to be there Saturday but I will be shifting gears a bit on my talk - I'll be doing a presentation on iron mounted rifles, specifically on some of the Appalachian types. I'll also do a demo on identifying wrought iron vs steel, and we may perform an autopsy on an old rifle or two if time allows.

I'll be bringing along this smoothrifle and full set of accoutrements that is being raffled to raise funds for the 4H youth shooting sports program at Canter's Cave in Jackson Ohio. I will have tickets available. All items were made by instructors / students at the Southern Ohio Artisan Workshops classes -  smoothrifle by Ken Gahagan and me (with some materials donated by Ken, others funded by gun class students) , pouch by Maryellen Pratt, horn by Gary Ludwig with woven strap by Maryellen Pratt, belt knife by John House and me, hawk by Rich Mcdonald with carrier by Jeanne Mcdonald, and ball pouch by Eric Fleisher. ALL proceeds are going to Canter's Cave's youth shooting sports.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2020, 06:18:50 PM »
Weather is forecast to be mostly in the high 20's to low 30's.  Clear skies until about 3 pm, when it will begin to be cloudy.  No snow or rain predicted at this time.
Looking forward to this.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline patchbox

• Starting Member
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2020, 10:15:11 PM »
Hello all
We are planning a gun builders get together for Saturday February 15th at the Log Cabin Shop in Lodi Ohio.  Bring what ever you are working on and lets spend the day working on and talking about long rifles.  There is plenty of bench space and of course the awesome museum to peruse.  The store will be open so if you have any parts you need there is a very good chance they will have it in stock.  Stop by and say hello.  Will be there from 9 until 4:30 or so.
BillP
Well that sounds pretty cool, hopefully my buddy whom also is a contemporary builder can attend along with me. Hope too see you there weather permitting.
Good Day, Gordy

Offline patchbox

• Starting Member
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2020, 10:24:23 PM »
I have been looking forward to the get together on Saturday at the LOG CABIN SHOP but yesterday I got a message from my family in California that they are arriving on Friday evening and have made arrangements at a restaurant to celebrate my wife's birthday at 4;30 on Saturday. As happy as I am that they will be here, I am disappointed to miss the event...….Chuck Papesh.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 11:30:15 PM by patchbox »

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2020, 03:48:20 AM »
should have thought to say this in my last post - "get togethers" like this make for a good opportunity to sell or trade gun parts,tools,books etc....

Offline BillPac

• N. Ohio
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2020, 08:08:16 PM »
I have the venison chili in the pot now, will see you all tomorrow.
Bill Pachinger

Offline oldways

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2020, 10:17:10 PM »
Ok Bill, stew is made and i made some blueberry muffins for morning coffee.  Walt                                                                                                       

Offline BillPac

• N. Ohio
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2020, 04:34:27 PM »
We had 13 people show up for the get together on Saturday.  Several people brought projects to work on.  Ian Pratt brought the Canters Cave 4-H raffle items for display as well as an antique southern rifle for the group discussion.  The raffle items can be seen on the bench in front of Ian.  Ian led a discussion on iron mounts and all things southern.  I attached several pictures so you can see the class/work area that the Log Cabin has.  Thanks to Walt for the wonderful venison stew and Thank You Log Cabin for providing the space for us to meet.  BillP

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2020, 04:30:17 AM »
Bill, your chili was awesome, it was really good, perfect for a cold day. It was good to see Ian and Maryellen. The discussion of mounts, triggers, pipes and iron vs steel was really interesting and I thank Ian for travelling up here to do this presentation. After listening to Ian's viewpoints of why certain things look a certain way and the thought process of how these items came into formation was fascinating. Thanks again, Ian.

Offline Mick C

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2020, 09:19:35 PM »
Hey y'all.  Maybe i missed something but wondering if there is a website I can go to for the Canters Cave 4-H raffle.   Those items look pretty amazing. 

It looks like a fun weekend was had by all and thanks for pictures Ian and Bill!...Mick C
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!