Author Topic: Solder recommendation  (Read 2127 times)

Offline sdilts

Solder recommendation
« on: January 30, 2020, 05:50:38 PM »
Got a halfstock under construction that will have a thimble with a lug for a sling soldered to the underrib. Should I use a silver solder for the thimble to rib or just use the same solder I use to attach the rib to the barrel?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Solder recommendation
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 06:34:35 PM »
This is a tough question.

I will offer a wild idea. For strength I would interrupt the rib and dovetail a lug into the barrel. If you can braze you could take a 3/4” piece of rib, braze on a dovetail base, and fit that into a strong  dovetail on the barrel. Then butt ribs sections fore and aft.
Andover, Vermont

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 07:40:47 PM »
You can solder the thimble,then rivet the rib to the barrel.

Offline 45-110

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2020, 07:45:30 PM »
I have found that silver solder higher heat can warp the rib, and then there is the scale. Soft solder and a good fit of the thimble to rib works fine.
kw

Offline sdilts

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 03:30:16 AM »
I'm a bit skittish about riveting. This is a 54 cal tapered from 15/16 to 7/8. Not a whole lot if metal to work with.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2020, 03:46:08 AM »
Maybe you could silver solder the thimbles on the rib then soft solder the rib to the barrel

Offline Goo

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 01:15:41 PM »
Maybe you could silver solder the thimbles on the rib then soft solder the rib to the barrel

This is a logical solution
Opinions are expensive. Rich people rarely if ever voice their opinion.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2020, 09:43:06 PM »
I solder the rib and thimbles in one heat.  Use regular lead tin solder.  Tin all the places that will be soldered.  Wash off the acid flux and apply rosin flux.  Use a steel rod to align the thimbles.  Wired and clamp it all in place.  Put in in the vice rib side up gripping it down by the breech and supporting the muzzle end with a rod down the bore.  Heat with two propane torches.  I often use an old gasoline torch and MAPP gas torches.  Whatever you got.  When the solder melts add a little more rosin core solder.  work you way down the barrel melting and adding as needed.  Scrape the excess solder with scraper you might use for wood. 

Offline flehto

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2020, 08:35:16 PM »
I installed a sling attachment on my Hawken and didn't use any solder. Just filed a groove in the rib  from the bbl side and formed a sling attachment from a coat hanger. The silver soldered joint is hidden  by the sling. The groove in the rib is located so the  sling  length that accommodates the sling  lays on the RR pipe so the RR isn't interfered w/ by the sling. This rib is screwed on, but if I were to do another, it would be riveted.....too much time  taken w/ shallow tapped holes. …..Fred

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2020, 09:16:33 PM »
This is the arrangement on a Joseph Lang 16 bore 1/2 stock.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline sdilts

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2020, 03:07:49 AM »
Here's what I decided to do.

The thimble had a lug on the bottom so I cut a slot in the rib and drilled a 1/16" hole for a pin through the rib and thimble lug. I put solder around the lug and bottom of the thimble, put the pin in and soldered it all together. Both sides of the hole through the rib were slightly countersunk. I peened the pin on both ends, filed it flush and it's practically invisible. I then soldered the rib to the barrel. Hopefully, that will do the trick.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2020, 03:50:31 AM »
Nice job.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2020, 09:47:29 AM »
Nice job.

I second what Taylor said!  Great solution.  Perhaps I should rate it even higher, Exemplary solution!!!!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline sdilts

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2020, 04:48:42 PM »
Thanks for the positive comments. Every now and then a light bulb comes on.

Steve