Author Topic: Range Day :)  (Read 7528 times)

Smokey Plainsman

Range Day :)
« on: December 14, 2019, 11:09:50 PM »
Yall I finally got out to the range with my new .40 caliber half stock Ohio style caplock rifle:

Guys it was a real fun time. Gun shot great 0 problems. Set up a box with a target on it 30 paces away from my little silver car:

I took 5 shots standing supported off my trunk with 35gr Graf’s 3Fg, ticking cut at muzzle, and Hornady .395s:

Reall pleased. Group is approx 1/2” center to center. Just need to get the sights dialed in. Looks like I’ll need to file the front sight and drift the rear towards the left to bring the rounds up and left. Could not find any patches for examination. I’ve read the Douglas barrel my rifle has can have “run out” where the bore is crooked. Hoping I have enough adjustment in the rear sight dovetail (and front sight if needed) to on target but I think I should be fine.

This rifle is phenomenal. Length of pull is ideal even with the coat I had on. Recoil is mild with 35grs but I fired a few shots at 70grs and it had a little thump to it in this barely 6 1/2 lbs rifle. It proved accurate with that load, too. Lots of experimenting ahead and first results seem very promising.

Just thought I’d share, guys. Thanks!

-Smokey
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 11:16:09 PM by Smokey Plainsman »

Offline flinchrocket

Re: Range Day :)
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 11:41:46 PM »
Well your off to a good start. You need a TV tray or small folding table, that will fit in your car, to put your stuff on. I bet your glad to finally get to shoot it.

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 11:53:56 PM »
Well your off to a good start. You need a TV tray or small folding table, that will fit in your car, to put your stuff on. I bet your glad to finally get to shoot it.

Yes either that or the ultimate goal, loading from a shooting pouch. :)

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2019, 01:44:26 AM »
Your rifle looks good and shoots great.  At 6-1/2 lbs it will be a delight to carry into the woods.  My .40 weighs more like 8 lbs or so recoil doesn't even count.  Again, a fine looking rifle.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 01:51:45 AM »
Looks like a great start. A portable shooting bench will go a long ways. Love my .40!!!!
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 03:37:57 AM »
Don't worry about run out till you know there is some and are having a problem. You must have stock in Tums with all the heartburn you give yourself.
Mark

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2019, 04:21:20 AM »
Don't worry about run out till you know there is some and are having a problem. You must have stock in Tums with all the heartburn you give yourself.

Lol I actually do have heartburn issues. Not sure if it’s from the muzzleloaders or all the Tabasco.  ;)

Since both the front and rear sight is dovetailed, there should be plenty of adjustatude to correct for the windification errors.

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2019, 10:59:48 AM »
Lmao. I was thinking the same thing.
I'm so glad you finally got to go out and shoot Smokey. I trust you brought the box home with you. The liter in that picture is disturbing. Things look like they are off to a good start. Shoot the gun some more before you play with the sights. Especially before filing the fro t sight, you can't put it back on once it is filed off.
And, most important, relax and have some fun with it.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2019, 08:39:12 PM »
Very good start, Smokey.
First photo had me worried.  I could see that rifle sliding and falling over!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2019, 09:07:58 PM »
You are off to a good start. With the relatively short barrel, there will be not much movement to get the
group centered.

& the second picture, Richard. A folding table/bench would be a good thing and will fit in the back seat.
The legs cost something like $24.00 at Canadian Tire. The wooden top is 3/4" plywood. The curve or square
 cut-out holds the  gun while you check targets.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2019, 09:32:38 PM »

Yes either that or the ultimate goal, loading from a shooting pouch. :)

You look to be well on your way.

Don't worry too much about loading from the pouch until you get that pet load developed. Once you get it fine tuned then you'll know exactly what you need to carry in your pouch.

And range time doesn't have to be dedicated to load development the whole time, every time... You bought the gun because you enjoy shooting it. Nothing wrong with spending time shooting just for the pure enjoyment of it.

Yes, the rifle is a machine. And we all like to tinker around to see how well our machines will perform. But they're also works of art to be enjoyed. Have some fun with it too.

Mike

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2019, 07:22:29 AM »
Daryl,
I have a small bench more or less exactly like the one you show, but with two "U's cut out for guns to rest in.  I use it a lot!

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2019, 07:44:44 AM »
The local outdoor range, which is far closer than the dump site I shoot at, has the normal concrete stationary benches. Rock solid, sure, but they have no place to rest a muzzleloader barrel without fear of the gun falling down.

I wonder if anyone makes like a clamp on “fork” type device that with hold a barrel upwards? The concrete tables are quite thick, probably 4-5” or so. They look like this more or less:

About the only thing I could do is drape a piece of carpet or matting over the side of the table and rest the barrel on that so at least it wouldn’t get scratched. Anyone have any idea?

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2019, 02:34:05 PM »
Those benches are designed for use with benchrest style bags similiar to these:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020686155?pid=514109

Or the more expensive ones like this:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015057639p?pid=852713

If you plan to do a lot of bench shooting you will need a set.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline alacran

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2019, 03:04:10 PM »
Most rifle ranges have benches that are intended for use with modern firearms. Those concrete benches you posted, like you said are not suited for proper muzzleloader bench technique. They are way too short. Most of the benches at muzzleloading clubs may have benches that are long enough but usually are rickety.
That is why I do all my load development work off cross sticks. with proper shooting technique a person can be rock solid. Also I can picture using cross sticks for hunting, where as a bench.....well.
My cross sticks are made of straight grained white oak they have steel spikes and are made to conform to NMLRA rules.  I drive them into the ground with a two pound hammer. much much better than a wobbly short bench.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2019, 04:57:47 PM »
I have a bracket made on a "C" clamp. Small angle iron (1X1) welded to the clamp and a "U" shaped board screwed to the clamp. Big enough clamp will hold on any table. Can send pic to someone to post.
Mark

Offline flinter49

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2019, 05:09:06 PM »
Daryl, I like that bench. Going to make one.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2019, 08:00:26 PM »
flinter49 - I made that bench some 20 years ago and am still using it for "field" rat shooting. It is also useful for plinking on our
black powder field and fits in car or truck alike.
Smokey P- I always lay a blanket on top of the bench when shooting my smoke poles and have a small square of carpet to put the butt stock on.
The curve of the bench cut out, or the sharper corner of the concrete bench you show, will hold the gun barrel just fine and no fall-overs. The blanket protects the
barrel from wood or concrete alike.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2019, 08:11:52 PM »
"Smokey" The range I shoot at has those same concrete benches. I agree with you they are horrible. I use a cotton towel, folded lengthwise and lay it in the notch corner of the bench next door to the one I am shooting off of. Not the best but if I really want to do some sighting in I also use 6 foot tall tripod sticks. They work great once you get used to them. Lying prone and using "cross-sticks" are a good option also. I also use the tripod sticks at club shoots as at my age I have a case of the "old man" shakes.
Happy holidays, and Merry Christmas,
"Muskrat" Mike (the kilted warrior)

« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 10:20:04 PM by MuskratMike »
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2019, 10:21:13 PM »
You don't support the far end of the bbl.  Only support it about where your hand would when shooting unsupported, on a front bag/rest/block/chunk.  AND the buttstock rests on a bag as well.  Basics of benchresting --any rifle design.  "Returning to battery" is putting your gun back in the exact position for these supports each time.

The length of your bbl is irrelevant.

Your trigger hand only manipulates the trigger and the other hand twiddles with the rear bag for you final sight picture corrections. Forgive the modern here, but a  pic is many bunches of words:

Here's another fellow with a more traditional gun, see how the long table is superfluous? He's more upright, which is good for heavy recoiling guns but quite irrelevant for a 40 cal. Also he's much less stable. Stability is key to good bench work.

The rests and bags can be complicated or store-bought or home made or improvised from what is at hand, but what you want is a solid sight picture before tripping the sear.  (and consistent wind conditions--when it counts).

« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 10:54:15 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline alacran

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2019, 01:50:09 AM »
Wade If you go to a bench line at any serious muzzle loading bench, chunk gun or cross sticks match you will see the guns supported some where near the muzzle. 
The farther away from the muzzle that you support the rifle, the more any movement is amplified at the muzzle.
If you happen to have Ned Roberts "the muzzle-loading cap lock rifle" look at the last few pages of the book. It refers to the meat shoot at Jimtown Tennessee. There is a picture of a fellow which demonstrates the proper way to shoot a muzzle loader in a chunk gun match. That also applies to bench and cross sticks matches. That photo was taken in 1942.
The table is superfluous because the shooter is not taking full advantage of it.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2019, 02:38:21 AM »
Alacran: can you post pictures from that book? Even if it is a picture of a picture. Would like to see it as I don't have that book.
Thanks.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2019, 04:18:23 AM »
Here's one I built in 2010 (maybe).  It is light, solid (enough) and portable.  Make it any length that suits you.

Taylor

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2019, 04:18:51 AM »
Wade If you go to a bench line at any serious muzzle loading bench, chunk gun or cross sticks match you will see the guns supported some where near the muzzle. 
The farther away from the muzzle that you support the rifle, the more any movement is amplified at the muzzle.
If you happen to have Ned Roberts "the muzzle-loading cap lock rifle" look at the last few pages of the book. It refers to the meat shoot at Jimtown Tennessee. There is a picture of a fellow which demonstrates the proper way to shoot a muzzle loader in a chunk gun match. That also applies to bench and cross sticks matches. That photo was taken in 1942.
The table is superfluous because the shooter is not taking full advantage of it.

Okay, I'll stand corrected-thank you, but also I can get fine results with a "shortened" support because I have shot in and won a few BR matches of the short-bbl sort.

As I see it, the main thing being that BR is a two-point support technique* and consistency in the placement of the gun on both rests is crucial for repeatable recoil paths and barrel harmonics.  With those things understood and practiced, I'll wager than any shooter could get fine results at modest ranges shooting from those "short" concrete benches-as the OP has access to.

*for most shooters-I'm sure there are exceptions, every good rule has some.

I hope to shoot the York in the future. But haven't had time or funds to build up my gear or practice for it yet.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 05:38:12 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2019, 04:54:10 AM »
Wade: I can shoot just fine from the concrete bench. I also prefer the front support to be as close to my natural hand hold as possible. The problem I have with those benches is everything on their edges causes damage to your rifle. Either the metal or stock. Until I can find a way to wrap the edges I will just have to carry lots of towels.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire