Author Topic: A. Pratt rifle  (Read 2381 times)

Offline cshirsch

A. Pratt rifle
« on: December 15, 2019, 01:42:20 AM »
Just acquired a new toy today. It's by A. Pratt, Concord Mass.. It may be some kind of a militia rifle, not sure. It's got a tapered 41", .62 caliber rifled barrel, Walnut stock with brass furniture and coin silver wedge escutcheons. Very well made in 'as found' condition. I am not really collecting New England guns but this one got my attention. Very well balanced to aim.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 12:36:22 AM by cshirsch »

Offline Algae

Re: A. Platt rifle
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 02:09:20 AM »
Very nice Chris, thanks for sharing!

Al J.

WESTbury

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2019, 03:33:30 AM »
Nice rifle!

Very probably a militia rifle as you mentioned. The majority of New England Rifles were privately purchased by militia members. Yours may have originally been a .54 cal rifle.

George Moller's 1988 book Massachusetts Military Shoulder Arms contains some good info on these militia rifles.

Thanks for posting the photos.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 05:17:25 AM by WESTbury »

Offline Cajun72

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2019, 08:56:13 AM »
Very nice rifle, going to take it to the range?

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 03:17:44 PM »
Very nice rifle, going to take it to the range?

I don't shoot the old ones.

Offline Notchy Bob

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2019, 03:10:36 PM »
Nice find, Chris!

I've always liked those New England militia rifles.  They are tastefully appointed, well designed, and thoroughly practical, with a very appealing simplicity.  As far as I know, The Rifle Shoppe is the only place offering new-made parts for these, although the triggerguard on this Platt rifle may be a little atypical.  Not that I'm an expert, which I am certainly not, but I have tried to learn a little about them.

You have a very interesting and attractive old rifle there.

Notchy Bob
"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us.  Should have rode horses.  Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2019, 05:49:45 PM »
Gunsmith Alvan Pratt was one of a number of skilled craftsmen who operated businesses along Concord’s Mill Dam during the 1820s. Born in Sherborn, Massachusetts in 1790, he was apprenticed to the Whittemore Gun Manufactory in Sutton in 1806. Upon completion of his apprenticeship, he entered into a brief partnership with his older brother Nathaniel in Watertown, then returned to Sutton. In 1815, he went into business for himself and married Sarah Marble, a local girl. When fire destroyed his business (1821), he came to Concord to make a fresh start in the thriving commercial and artisan community here.
The Pratts took their place in town life. Alvan was a fine workman with a reputation for producing well crafted guns, and his business flourished for some time. A Mason, he became a member of the Social Circle in 1837. The couple had three children (a daughter born in Sutton, a son and another daughter in Concord). They lived on Lexington Road, near the town center.
Alvan and Sarah Pratt were dealt their share of hardships as well as blessings. They outlived all three of their children. Moreover, the demand for Pratt’s handcrafted guns eventually declined. Reluctant to adopt new, more efficient methods of production, in the final years of his working life he spent most of his time on gun repair, locksmithing, and less specialized work for which there was a steady market.
Alvan died in 1877 at eighty-seven.

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2019, 02:05:09 AM »
He was also the brother of Henry Pratt - another prolific gunmaker in Roxbury. As to the caliber, although it is large I suspect it may be right. I also have a NE rifle in about .62 caliber made by Mason with traces of the rifling intact so it wasn't just bored out. Most are around .54 caliber but the reasoning behind that was that they would accept government ammunition. A .62 caliber rifle would probably have taken the musket bullet rather than the rifle bullet.

When I was actively shooting, something I haven't done for years, I won several matches with a Henry Pratt flint rifle.