Author Topic: Wiping rod or stick  (Read 1512 times)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Wiping rod or stick
« on: December 15, 2019, 11:46:17 PM »
Orders for trade rifles often specified that a blanket case, tow worm, bullet mold, and wiping rod be supplied with each rifle.  I’m finishing a Deringer trade rifle and getting the accessories together. Here’s the wiping rod made of a 1/2” hickory rod with a rolled sheet steel, brazed-up tip.  I made this tip “not tapered” as descriptions of original ones indicate they were near bore diameter and sometimes carried in the bore. Not sure if many original wiping sticks (not talking ramrod carried in the thimbles) survived, so this is my interpretation.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 11:51:25 PM by rich pierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline Levy

Re: Wiping rod or stick
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 03:12:05 AM »
Rich,  back in 2002 the State of Fla. recovered the barrel of a rifle in the Apalachicola River that was .62  and rifled.  It had the remnants of a flintlock mechanism still on it and 29 cm. of the wiping stick still in the barrel.  It was found with several Wilson trade guns that would've fired the same size ball.  The barrel was 38" in length.  Estimated age was in the 1760's.
James Levy
James Levy

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 03:28:27 AM »
What’d they used to wipe with? Tow? Cloth patches?

Corncobs? :P  ;D

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 03:48:23 AM »
Since most trade rifle orders called for tow worms I suppose they used tow. Cloth was expensive. Tow was a waste product.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Notchy Bob

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 05:52:08 PM »
I haven't researched this extensively, but in the reading I have done, I recall seeing the terms "wiper," "worm," and "gun worm," but not "tow worm."  In Spanish, this tool is called sacatrapos, literally "rag puller."  I can't find a French translation.  Maybe some of our Canadian friends can help us out with this.  Do we know when the term "tow worm" came into use? 

I have looked for tow on lists of trade goods and supplies being shipped to the western trading posts, but haven't found it.  Tow may have been an item so common nobody bothered to list it, or idle hands at the trading posts may have been put to work picking fiber or oakum from old ropes, so hemp fibers may have been produced in that way "in the country."  Regardless, I haven't seen tow mentioned in the texts I have read, which have admittedly pertained primarily to the trans-Mississippi frontier.  In the east, which was settled more densely and at an earlier date, and where people were growing both flax and hemp (tow may be either flax or hemp fiber, according to Ned Roberts), we can assume tow was more readily available.

And please don't interpret this as a challenge to any of the terminology used above.  I wanted to share information I have found, and I am seriously interested in learning something from others who post here.

Regarding the wiping stick which was the subject of the original post, I think it was well researched and thought out, and nicely executed.  Attention to the relatively minor details like this helps in understanding the bigger picture of gun handling and maintenance on the frontier.

Thanks!

Notchy Bob
"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us.  Should have rode horses.  Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2019, 06:17:04 PM »
Good points, Bob. Whether cloth or tow or something else the gun worms are versatile. Jags require a narrow range of fabric thickness.
Andover, Vermont

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2019, 06:54:44 PM »
I think maybe the wiping rod, since it seems to always been at hand, gives some insight that the old timers had a tendency to wipe between shots or at least every few shots. Anyone else think this?

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2019, 02:29:07 AM »
I think maybe the wiping rod, since it seems to always been at hand, gives some insight that the old timers had a tendency to wipe between shots or at least every few shots. Anyone else think this?

I do think there is documentation for this practice.
Psalms 144