Author Topic: Worm Damage?  (Read 1015 times)

Smokey Plainsman

Worm Damage?
« on: December 17, 2019, 05:44:35 AM »
Nope, not talking about wood that a worm animal made a snack of, I’m talking about these inanimate worms:

I recently bought one of these old style steel (or iron, not sure) worm and ball pullers for my rifle. Well today when they arrived in the mail I was handling them and though “gee, since these are steel, could they hurt my bore?” and became worried.

So there’s much talk of worms and tow being used on this board for cleaning and wiping muzzleloading bores. Are you guys using the above steel (or iron) ones? Are you using maybe a brass style of worm I should be familiar with?

-Smokey

Offline Dan Fruth

• D Fruth Flintlocker
Re: Worm Damage?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 04:57:04 PM »
I had a laugh at your play on words!....The worm OD should at a minimum be 1/16 " smaller than the bore, and the wad of tow will keep it away from the barrel wall. Been using one of these things for years, and they work great!
The old Quaker, "We are non-resistance friend, but ye are standing where I intend to shoot!"

Offline Marcruger

Re: Worm Damage?
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 05:58:08 PM »
Dan Fruth is no doubt too modest to say this, but he handmakes some of the finest worms and pullers you can buy. I have one if his sets. Just great quality. God Bless, Marc