Author Topic: Jacob Baum, Northumberland Cty  (Read 1521 times)

Offline dtiques

• Starting Member
  • 4Th Infantry, 1966 & 67, Pleiku, Dakto
Jacob Baum, Northumberland Cty
« on: December 20, 2019, 04:00:58 AM »
On p.34 of James Johnston's " Accouterments IV " is a flintlock long rifle signed in block letters "I.D.B" for Jacob Baum. E. Buffalo Twp., Northumberland Cty., Pa. 1800-1820. I have seen many references to Samuel Baum, but this is the first time that I have seen the name Jacob. Does anyone have any information on Jacob and what his relationship was to Samuel?

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Jacob Baum, Northumberland Cty
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 12:01:12 AM »
Search the posts here on ALR.  Someone stated that Samuel had a son named Jacob.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 05:36:07 PM »
Jerry Noble's book "Gun Trade In America" lists Samuel B. Baum as having five sons. Samuel, Charles, Jacob, Henry & Edward. His source was Curt Johnson's book "Gunsmiths Of Illinois " . There are known guns by his sons Samuel and Charles.  There is also a note that there was a grandson of Samuel who MAY have made Baum style rifles early in the  20th century.
JIM

Offline Loudy

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 07:13:01 PM »
All,
FYI... below is what I have in my research files regarding gunsmith Jacob Baum.         
Loudy

Jacob Baum
Born:  December 1832, Pennsylvania
Died:   After 1900

Jacob Baum was the son of gunsmith Charles Baum and the grandson of gunsmith Samuel Baum. 

1850 Federal Census, Pennsylvania, Schuykill County, Pottsville Boro, Northeast Ward
Jacob Baum, age 18, occupation “Gun Smith”, residing with his parents Charles & Maria Baum. 

1880 Federal Census, Pennsylvania, Snyder County, Monroe Township, District 145, p. 1
Maria Baum, age 60, Widow, “Housekeeper”; Jacob Baum, age 44 single son “Gunsmith”

Offline Loudy

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 10:23:36 PM »
FYI... updated biographical information regarding this gunsmith. 

Jacob M. Baum
Born:  December 14, 1831, Snyder County, PA*
Died:  April 30, 1914, Sunbury, Northumberland, County, PA*
Buried:  Hummel's Wharf, Snyder County, PA*

* Per Death Certificate. 

Jacob Baum was the son of gunsmith Charles Baum and Maria Hummel.  He was the grandson of gunsmith Samuel Baum.

1850 Federal Census, Pennsylvania, Schuykill County, Pottsville Boro, Northeast Ward
Jacob Baum, age 18, occupation “Gun Smith”, residing with his parents Charles & Maria Baum.

1880 Federal Census, Pennsylvania, Snyder County, Monroe Township, District 145, p. 1
Maria Baum, age 60, Widow, “Housekeeper”; Jacob Baum, age 44 single son “Gunsmith”