Author Topic: Powder Predicament  (Read 3867 times)

Smokey Plainsman

Powder Predicament
« on: December 21, 2019, 05:33:37 PM »
Guys last night I solemnly emptied the very last few grains of my real black powder stash into my powder flask.

As I watched the tiny black specs trickle, I though to myself, “what now? Where do I go from here?

I’m nearly OUT! :’(

So locally here in Las Vegas, there are a number of “powders for recreational use” that are available. But, few of them are black. No stores around here sell authentic black powder. This leaves me with ordering in bulk from one of the online powder sellers.

The main issue I’m having is deciding what to get. I’d like to make a 25 lbs order to keep costs down and so I won’t have to worry about finding powder for a long time. I am in the load development and experimentation phase for a new rifle so aren’t you supposed to test different powders?

Therein lies the rub. I don’t want to order 25 lbs of just one powder, in case my rifle doesn’t favor it or in case it’s dirty etc. So at this point I just don’t know. Should I just buy a can of each type of powder and just swallow the shipping and hazmat fees, then once I know which powder is best for me, order a bulk order of that later on?

So what would YOU do? Thanks all!

-Smokey

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Powder Predicament
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 05:41:49 PM »
Order different brands and granulations for a total of 25 lbs.

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 06:32:23 PM »
I had a .54 that I had only shot with 2fg. Then I built a .40 caliber and was unsure what granulation I needed as testing had not yet begun. At the same time I ran out of powder. So I ordered a case with half 2fg and half 3fg to try and cover my bases. So after a lot of testing I had settled on 3fg for both calibers. The next case I ordered 3fg with 3 cans of 4fg in the mix.
Most of those powder guys will work with you on your order but check with them first, don't assume anything.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2019, 06:37:00 PM »
Pick an outer limit as to how far you are willing to drive. Sit down with a map, and google maps, and start searching for gun shops in that distance and calling them to see if they carry it. Search for Blackpowder clubs in that area and contact them to see where their members get powder. It is worth a try to not order a bunch of powder you don't need.
I couldn't find anyplace here in CT. for a long time and was going to drive to Maine, found a place "closer" at 83 miles, 1 hour 45 minutes away. Turned out to be a nice drive an a really cool shop. A couple years later I found out that a gunshop 40 minutes away carries the stuff and I never new it.

If that fails. Order a bunch of what you are using now, you are posting pics of good groups, and maybe some of the same grain size but another brand or two. And a can or two of whatever else you think you might try. One can of 4f, maybe, if you think you might use it to prime with.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2019, 06:44:49 PM »
If I remember right powder inc. lets you mix and match an order. I find my favorite load for each gun often ends up being a different manufacturers powder, so I order that way anyway. Watch for a ‘No Hazmat Fee’ sale. They happen fairly regularly.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2019, 07:55:15 PM »
You have no predicament.  Mail order what you want.  They do mix and match.  Easy.  Done.

Regular store?  Got to find one and drive there.  They often limit you to 1# at a time.  The help often does not know how to get in to the safe.  It will be expensive.  Buying from a store is a hassle, I have not done it for decades.   

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2019, 08:04:36 PM »
Also remember that there are national chains that do not advertise that they have BP, nor do they have it out on the shelf--not legal. but if you ASK, they do have some (and after the clerk calls the manager and the manager finds the combination/key and 40 minutes later voila!  ::) ).   Of course it'll be full retail, but buying some that way shows support for their hassles.

I just order up from PI and there it is. Don't feel locked in to 25# as I found the 10# quantity pricing tolerable.  Get a mix of 10 for testing, and after testing you'll know what to stock up on for that gun.  You can always trade off powders you don't care for, but they also make good emergency reserves, or gifts to new shooters or pals when you find yourself amongst such.

If you ever get another gun, you might find it prefers a different powder, so variety is not a bad thing. It all shoots.

Hold to the Wind

Offline fishdfly

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2019, 08:49:54 PM »
Should I just buy a can of each type of powder and just swallow the shipping and hazmat fees, then once I know which powder is best for me, order a bulk order of that later on?

Yes, simple solution.

Or go to Goggle. Goex, dealer locator and go to the closest in your state.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2019, 08:59:25 PM »
Being able to buy a variety must be a really special "deal".  For years, we could get GOEX - in different granulations, but any flavour you wanted, as long as
that was GOEX.

Interesting thing about that, GOEX shoots in everything.  3F for .32, 36, .40 and .45, 2F for everything larger than .45, AND accuracy loads worked up in .40 and .45
for 2F as well.

GOEX - winning matches for 46 years.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Joe Schell

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2019, 10:38:54 PM »
I just shoot 3f in everything to keep it simple. I've used it in calibers from 32 - 58. I also prime with it

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2019, 10:50:53 PM »
Thanks, all.

Just ordered 10 lbs from Graf’s, all 3FFFg.

4 lbs Goex, 5 lbs OE, 1 lbs Swiss.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2019, 01:35:31 AM »
I also use Goex 3F in everything from .54 down to my .40 SMR
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 03:31:59 AM by MuskratMike »
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline snapper

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2019, 02:13:16 AM »
I shoot 2F or 3F swiss in everything I own, and that is a few.

By Goex or Swiss in a 5 lb order and see if you like it.   5 lbs will last you a while.

Dont buy a bunch of different brands of powder.   I have not found any rifle that I cant get good accuracy out of a brand of Goex or Swiss powder.

If I remember right your rifle is a smaller cal., so just buy some 3F and enjoy it.

FLeener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Notchy Bob

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2019, 05:40:47 AM »
I think you did the right thing, Smokey Plainsman, ordering from Graf & Son.  I believe they will sell any amount, and you can mix brands and granulation in your order.  I don't think you necessarily save much on the powder in a larger order, but the Hazardous Materials (HazMat) fee will be the same, regardless of the amount of powder in the order.  That makes the "per pound" price appear to be cheaper in larger orders.

I have not enjoyed much success buying powder locally.  A lot of the service personnel do not know the difference between black powder and the various BP substitutes.  Call and ask, and they will tell you they have black powder, but you drive there and find they only have Pyrodex or 777 or whatever the distributor advised them to stock.  A lot of dealers and their staff honestly don't know the difference.

I did find one store about two hours away that had real Goex BP, but they charged $22.00 per pound about 15 years ago.  I started ordering from Graf or Powder Inc. after that.

Anyway, you did right.

Notchy Bob

"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us.  Should have rode horses.  Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2019, 06:20:07 AM »
I think it’s better to order online also.  My local store has it but you pay $15 extra on a pound.  It’s a total $30 + tax per pound.  The only issue ordering it is that a signature is required for delivery and they won’t hold it over at my local post office.   It’s tough to be home when the mail runs in my world. 

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2019, 02:01:31 PM »
Brokennock...Pick an outer limit as to how far you are willing to drive.

This made me laugh because it is exactly what I did.  That's how I met Greg and Brenda Dixon...driving from New MIlford , CT., down to the store became its own special trip because I never thought to look around more in Connecticut.

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2019, 06:50:23 PM »
Brokennock...Pick an outer limit as to how far you are willing to drive.

This made me laugh because it is exactly what I did.  That's how I met Greg and Brenda Dixon...driving from New MIlford , CT., down to the store became its own special trip because I never thought to look around more in Connecticut.
Ha ha, that's funny. I'm guessing you weren't too far from Autumn Gun Works when you lived here.
I was driving to Winchester, New Hampshire.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2019, 07:16:09 PM »
I just ordered 25 lbs of powder from Buffalo Arms in Idaho. They actually had the best deal this time, and no state taxes charged either. You can mix and match as you wish with either Powder Inc or Buffalo Arms.
Psalms 144

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2019, 07:34:47 PM »
If you live in Nevada there is also Bear River Powder. They are in Evanstown, Wyoming and also have a 2nd distributor in Nampa, Idaho. Good people and excellent service. I also can recommend Buffalo Arms in Idaho. Dave is a great guy and National Champion shooter (even if it is with breech loaders).
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire

Offline snapper

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2019, 11:44:38 PM »
Dave won the World Long Range ML match this year in England.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline msellers

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2019, 01:24:39 AM »
If you live in Nevada there is also Bear River Powder. They are in Evanstown, Wyoming and also have a 2nd distributor in Nampa, Idaho.
He is a long way fron either of those places. Heck, i am 4-5 hours to either and almost 7 from smokey.
Mike

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2019, 06:55:36 AM »
My local Bass Pro Shop (Tulsa) sells Goex... You might check out the BPS in Vegas if you shoot up everything you ordered. BPS is expensive, but if they have it in stock it'll do in a pinch.

Mike

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2019, 10:52:08 PM »
Over the years I've ordered cases of powder since it seems to be a lost cause trying to find it locally and at reasonable cost.  All the orders were placed with Powder, inc or one other dealer.  Price is more important now than it was just a few years ago.  This means I'll be checking out several distributors to find the lowest price.  The price of powder has increased far beyond the rate of inflation in a relatively short time.  A fairly recent powder order was priced very affordably at the time the order was placed.  A check on the cost just a year later showed that the per pound cost had risen about 30%; The price has gone up again since then.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2019, 11:21:11 PM »
Not sure what everyone pays around the country but I bought Goex 3F from Bear River Powder supply in June of this year for $18.00 per pound. As I was going to be in Idaho they even met me and delivered it personally to me at no additional charge, now that is customer service.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2019, 02:26:17 AM »
Not sure what everyone pays around the country but I bought Goex 3F from Bear River Powder supply in June of this year for $18.00 per pound. As I was going to be in Idaho they even met me and delivered it personally to me at no additional charge, now that is customer service.

My recent Goex order from Buffalo Arms was right at $18.25 a lb delivered to my door. And that was with hazmat. Powder Inc was just a little higher, but not insanely so.
Psalms 144