Author Topic: So how do you do it? (Prevent rusting in wet conditions)  (Read 6406 times)

Offline MuskratMike

So how do you do it? (Prevent rusting in wet conditions)
« on: December 22, 2019, 07:43:00 PM »
Went to our monthly shoot yesterday for our big Christmas shoot and feed. It went from something like 9:00am - 3:00pm. It rained like it can only rain here in the Pacific Northwest. Included was a trail walk. By the time I got home and cleaned up the rifle and pistol had sat in my truck (in the garage) for a couple of hours. The pistol was fine but the rifle had rust forming all over it. Now it was only surface rust and cleaned up fine but rust all the same. When I am done cleaning my guns I always lightly oil the metalwork and wax the stock. This time of year I also use the wax on the metalwork. It is a lemon oil and beeswax product I get from the Amish furniture store. I hoped it would work better than it did. As my guns are neither blued or browned I am looking to see what all you guys use that works.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 06:25:09 PM by rich pierce »
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Fyrstyk

• "All I ask of living is to have no chains on me."
Re: So how do you do it?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 08:23:40 PM »
I use simonize car wax on the metal works, and butchers bowling alley wax on the wood work.  Has served me well over the years.  Our weather here in the Northeast can be pretty challenging also.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 08:54:54 PM »
  I use Balistol for all metal...absolutely no complaints an to me it is far better than the W-D stuff...other's may disagree...that's why we have choices...

Oldtravler

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 09:09:22 PM »
I also use Ballistol. Nothing has rusted yet. I even use it at work on my expensive metrology tools since I work in a non-climate controlled shop. The Ohio Valley is damp, both winter and summer.
Psalms 144

Joe S

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 10:03:38 PM »
Lemon oil furniture polish is composed primarily of petroleum distillates - think mineral oil - with a little bit of lemon derived oil to make it smell nice. The bees wax may do your stock some good, but I don't put mineral oil on my stocks.

I've been using Renaissance Wax for a few years. Very good stuff for both wood and metal.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2019, 10:45:09 PM »
Lemon oil furniture polish is composed primarily of petroleum distillates - think mineral oil - with a little bit of lemon derived oil to make it smell nice. The bees wax may do your stock some good, but I don't put mineral oil on my stocks.

I've been using Renaissance Wax for a few years. Very good stuff for both wood and metal.

As is Ballistol. Mineral oil is paraffin oil isn't it? And if I remember Mad Monks writings correctly paraffin oils and greases do not react negatively with BP soot. But then again I'm only wiping down the metal work with the stuff. I do have a piece of wood that I'm experimenting on with the Ballistol.
Psalms 144

Joe S

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2019, 11:11:41 PM »
Mineral oil and paraffin oil are the same thing. These terms are kind of loose. They refer to a range of colorless petroleum distillates, and composition may vary. Mad Monk is around, perhaps he'll chime in.

I've never used Ballistol, but a lot of people seem to like it. I live in the rocky mountains, and WD-40 is good enough in this country.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2019, 11:15:51 PM »
 Good old Johnson’s paste wax is the stuff. It’s been around for upwards of a hundred years, and works just fine on wood, and metal. Is it easy as a spray, or liquid? No, but it works.

Hungry Horse

Offline axman

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2019, 12:07:28 AM »
Johnson’s paste wax put on hidden metal with toothbrush.

Clenzoil rag on everything else for last 30 years

Offline thelongrifle

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2019, 12:28:54 AM »
I use wonderlube on everything inside and out. No problems with rust.

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2019, 12:34:08 AM »
Johnson's past wax here too. I use it on all my guns, rifles and pistols alike for over 10 years now with no problems. Before season I remove the barrels on my flinters and put 2 to 3 good coats on all metal surface's. If out in a lot of rain I'll do the same thing. When I come in from hunting a quick rubdown with a soft cloth is all that's needed for surface protection.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline hudson

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2019, 05:49:15 PM »
Fluid film something new to me and highly recommended by a friend, his shop is in a wood and not heated except when working. Into metal and wood working both and swears by this product to protect his machines.
https://www.fluid-film.com/

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2019, 08:17:39 PM »
Fluid film something new to me and highly recommended by a friend, his shop is in a wood and not heated except when working. Into metal and wood working both and swears by this product to protect his machines.
https://www.fluid-film.com/

Seems to be mostly mineral oil.
Psalms 144

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2019, 09:08:45 PM »
I don't put anything on them, now, or when I lived down on the coast. The stocks all have finish
and the barrels get wiped down with WD40 after cleaning.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2019, 09:30:53 PM »
Daryl: I also have protective finish on the wood and WD-40 on the metal. Living in beautiful B.C. you must have faced the same issue. That of having the metal start rusting before getting to the cleaning stage. Going to try waxing the metal on rainy shoot days or just wipe down periodically during the shoot with a rag wetted with WD-40.
Merry Christmas to you.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2019, 11:41:08 PM »
RIG if anything on the metal & always in the bore.  Does Turtle Wax work, too?  I've never seen a rusty turtle!
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2019, 12:21:25 AM »
One of the best and most comprehensive tests of gun care and other commercial products for rust prevention, etc.  Long but very informative.

http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Daryl

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2019, 09:17:42 AM »
Daryl: I also have protective finish on the wood and WD-40 on the metal. Living in beautiful B.C. you must have faced the same issue. That of having the metal start rusting before getting to the cleaning stage. Going to try waxing the metal on rainy shoot days or just wipe down periodically during the shoot with a rag wetted with WD-40.
Merry Christmas to you.

Merry Christmas to you too, but nothing on the barrel or wood when shooting in the rain. I do try to avoid shooting in the rain or when it's snowing heavily, but IT does happen. I've not had trouble with the barrel rusting before getting at the cleaning.
That said, I oft times take a rifle to the range in a leather slip-case. Once the gun is fired, it is not cased until after it's home and cleaned and I'm going somewhere with it - like back to the range to shoot. Otherwise it is stored muzzle down in the lockup.
Storage of a gun in a case or putting it back in the case after shooting is just asking for rust, imho.
Fumes from the fouling will impregnate the case - I can do without that.

Can't really see it, but it is snowing in the pictures. No rust & the barrels of course, were dripping wet with melted snow.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 09:21:24 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2019, 10:05:06 AM »
Just a suggestion Muskrat Mike but I think I would approach it like this; I would use a good wax on both metal and wood 100% of the time. If I knew I would be shooting in rain or snow I would add another coat on both and buff it to a hard shine. In a plastic bag I would carry a cloth with a large portion coated with wax rubbed in just enough to break up the chunks and lightly absorbed into the surface. In that, or another bag I would carry several clean dry cloths.
During the shoot I would occasionally wipe the moisture off with a dry cloth. If you get a chance and the metal is fairly dry I would wipe it all with the wax impregnated cloth followed by a hard buff with a dry cloth.
I would not trust WD-40 to protect any surface at all under those conditions. I use WD-40 but only to help displace moisture from down the barrel and on the lock after cleaning. Then wipe it all away before final drying and waxing.
I'm sure the various types of oils would probably work just as well as evidenced by the number of shooters who use oils. But after using solely wax as a rust preventative for over 10 years now I've come to trust it more than other methods.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline alacran

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2019, 02:52:53 PM »
I make it a point of cleaning my guns at the range before I go home. When I am in the Midwest rain forest I make it a point of going over the rifle or pistol again the next day. Every time I've been at Martins Station, the humidity has been high and pervasive, that is if it isn't pouring rain.  I do the battles in those conditions. After the engagements, I wipe the outside of the barrel off all powder residue and re grease with bear oil. This helps abate the rust.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

RoaringBull

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2019, 04:50:49 PM »
All of that cold white stuff all over everything is the reason that I live well south of the Red River!!

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2019, 08:13:38 PM »
Daryl: Great photos. Now that's more snow than we will ever see here in the Willamette Valley (at least the portion I live in).
Merry Christmas to you my friend.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire

Offline Daryl

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2019, 08:45:13 PM »
Merry Christmas to you too, Mike. "All that cold white snow" - LOL & winter has barely started. :o
Daryl

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2019, 08:56:48 PM »
By the way..... I forgot to mention that after reading the link I posted above, I switched to Frog Lube and have had incredibly good luck with it.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Joe S

« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2019, 02:39:35 AM »
The results of that Frog Lube jumped out at me too. Guess I'll have to hop down to the store and get some. (OK, OK, I'll stop...)

Much to my disappointment, Frog Lube is not made from frog squeezings. It seems to be mostly coconut oil. Here's an FTIR scan: